Formal plug for Sierra's Resource Files

Talk about anything you want here
Akril
Sierra Veteran

Formal plug for Sierra's Resource Files

Post by Akril »

I've mentioned this site elsewhere (plus the link to it is already in my signature), but I figured it was worth posting about again on these sparkling new forums.

Sierra's Resource Files is a little project of mine documenting some of the more interesting finds I've made in Sierra's adventure games. Most of these finds are backgrounds, sprites, sounds or animations that never appear in the games, and some of the games I investigated turned out to be veritable goldmines of unused material. Here's a breakdown of the various pages:

Hidden Treasures in the KQ7 Resource Files (Part 1): The page that started it all. KQ7 has enough unused media to make a whole other game. Here, the various Views are described.

Hidden Treasures in the KQ7 Resource Files (Part 2): Here, KQ7's unused backgrounds, sounds and interesting code snippets are described.

Shivers: There are a lot of unused graphics in Shivers...including what looks like "graffiti" from a disgruntled employee!

Torin's Passage: Unused animations, dialogue and backgrounds. The usual.

Misc.: Stuff from various Sierra adventures, including a beautiful background from Freddy Pharkas, an odd animation from SQ5, unused inventory items from SQ6, and some interesting unfinished backgrounds from Woodruff and the Schnibble.

Quest for Glory: Stuff from the QfG series (none of which was added by me, because I don't own the series).

The SQ5 Beta: Not resource-related, but I still decided to put it on this site. This page describes the many differences between 0.028 and the release version of SQ5.
Sierra's Resource Files - There is more to Sierra's games than meets the eye...
My Sierra fan art and fan fiction.
HarroSIN
Sierra Enthusiast

Re: Formal plug for Sierra's Resource Files

Post by HarroSIN »

I created an entire document a few months ago with information about unused material both Phantasmagoria games, including unused rendered scenes and missing items, and developer jokes. I have it hosted elsewhere at the moment, but I'm in the process of cleaning up the page to put it up on my site. It is interesting stuff, though, in all games.
Visit my website for the Phantasmagoria 2 XP Installer (Phan2XP):
http://leonhart.us/
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Akril, I looked at that site a couple of days ago when I saw it in your signature, and I'm impressed. It was very interesting.

And HarroSIN, I'm interested in seeing that if I get a chance. ;)
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I should setup a members link page in the Help Pages for such things.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Akril
Sierra Veteran

Post by Akril »

HarroSIN wrote:I created an entire document a few months ago with information about unused material both Phantasmagoria games, including unused rendered scenes and missing items, and developer jokes. I have it hosted elsewhere at the moment, but I'm in the process of cleaning up the page to put it up on my site. It is interesting stuff, though, in all games.
I think I might have seen that. I remember looking at a Phantasmagoria page to see whether what hidden Phantas stuff someone else had sent to me had already been documented elsewhere.
JasefWisener wrote:Akril, I looked at that site a couple of days ago when I saw it in your signature, and I'm impressed. It was very interesting.
Thank you!
Collector wrote:I should setup a members link page in the Help Pages for such things.
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am glad you actually posted this! I saw your signature and was going to check it out - but the posts keep flying in this forum - so I never stopped to look! Now as an official post - it got me to ohhh and ahhhh!

I love this.

How did you dig this stuff up? I have used the AGI/SCI editors and seen some stuff - but I mean how did you get stuff from Torin's Passage and what not?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I believe the SCI resource viewer.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:I believe the SCI resource viewer.
But Torin's isn't SCI... right?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Of course it is! It will open it up, I have.

HarroSIN
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by HarroSIN »

I have setup a temporary page for all the unused material in Phantasmagoria 1, which you can find here: http://www.moccio.net/_other/phantasmagoria/phant1/

The original document had nicer formatting (tables and colors), but it was pretty inefficient in terms of HTML code, so I whipped this up in Notepad in about five minutes: it's not so pretty, but it gets the job done! I'll convert the second part for the second game later on and also add some formatting. If you like this game as much as myself, maybe you will find it an interesting read!

Edit: Oh, and Akril. On your page, you mentioned that '2905.rbt, 2950.rbt and 3005.rbt' files (main hall running at four frames). These are used, but only in the MS-DOS version (in place of the higher framerate files).
Akril
Sierra Veteran

Post by Akril »

Tawmis wrote:I am glad you actually posted this! I saw your signature and was going to check it out - but the posts keep flying in this forum - so I never stopped to look! Now as an official post - it got me to ohhh and ahhhh!

I love this.
Thanks!
Tawmis wrote:How did you dig this stuff up? I have used the AGI/SCI editors and seen some stuff - but I mean how did you get stuff from Torin's Passage and what not?
Collector wrote:I believe the SCI resource viewer.
Collector is correct -- I included a link to it at the top of the main page. The term "SCI" covers quite a few of Sierra's games; KQ4 and SQ3 are SCI0, KQ5 and LSL5 are SCI1, Torin's Passage and KQ7 are SCI2 and Shivers 2 and LSL7 are SCI3.
HarroSIN wrote:I have setup a temporary page for all the unused material in Phantasmagoria 1, which you can find here: http://www.moccio.net/_other/phantasmagoria/phant1/

The original document had nicer formatting (tables and colors), but it was pretty inefficient in terms of HTML code, so I whipped this up in Notepad in about five minutes: it's not so pretty, but it gets the job done! I'll convert the second part for the second game later on and also add some formatting. If you like this game as much as myself, maybe you will find it an interesting read!
Nice page. Would it be all right if I linked to it from my Phantas section?
HarroSIN wrote:Edit: Oh, and Akril. On your page, you mentioned that '2905.rbt, 2950.rbt and 3005.rbt' files (main hall running at four frames). These are used, but only in the MS-DOS version (in place of the higher framerate files).
Corrected. Thanks for pointing that out!
HarroSIN
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by HarroSIN »

Sure, go for it. I'll link you back.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”