Speaking of Lighthouse....

Follow the beacon of light to the forums if you need help with Lighthouse!
LaughingMan008
Sierra Lover

Speaking of Lighthouse....

Post by LaughingMan008 »

Originally PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:27 pm

Say, Ive decided to try Lighthouse on my new PC. I installed the DOS version and have the patches....
Now, the readme says to run the exe file in the zips, but there is none. Do I just copy and paste all the files into the folder?
And in this order?

LITE2PAT
LITEPT2A
LITE2FIX
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Speaking of Lighthouse....

Post by Collector »

If those are the ones from this site, just unzip into the game's folder. I have already extracted them from the original executable. The ReadMes are the originals. Plain ZIPs are usually smaller and they allow you inspect the contents before unarchiving them.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

LaughingMan008
Sierra Lover

Post by LaughingMan008 »

DAMMIT!
Game was going great, until I got to the shipreck. Ya know, when you pilot the submarine? As soon as I go there, the game gets screwed up.....
Whenever I try to save or load from that point on, it tells me....

Error 44, and....
And whats even MORE infuriating, is right now as Im typing this, I went to get the error again so I could give you the COMPLETE error message, and now its not doing it!
LaughingMan008
Sierra Lover

Post by LaughingMan008 »

Okay, Im running into more bugs, and they're all related to that god forsaken submarine. In addition to the above error I got, Ive also gotten an error 43. Though once again, I missed the full message. It happened right after I docked on "The Island"
The place with the big monster and the ruins. I simply turned around and started to walk. Bam. Crash. My game was saved before I pulled the lever to go there. Whenever I loaded that game after this crash, I couldnt even take a step forward or back. The noise would start to loop and giberish text would appear on the screen. However, as with the last bug, it was fixed after I started the game with CD #1 in, then loaded the saved game, switching to #2 when prompted by the voice. I hope Im making my problem clear enough. See, I drink vodka when I play Sierra puzzle/adventure games. Helps me think illogically. :)
But doesnt do a thing for my communication.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

LaughingMan008 wrote:I drink vodka when I play Sierra puzzle/adventure games. Helps me think illogically. :)
But doesnt do a thing for my communication.
LOL! This is a game that I was really liking, but ran into the sub problem and gave up on it a long time ago. I have been meaning to revisit this game, now that I know more about SCI games and getting them to run on modern machines, but have not had the time. I will look into it at some point, but cannot promise anything for some time.

Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

Good... I mean about your revisiting it, not about the vodka-approach.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
LaughingMan008
Sierra Lover

Post by LaughingMan008 »

Well, good news is that I managed to beat the game, despite the crashing bugs I mentioned. WHATEVER disc your save game is on, START UP the game with the opposite disc. After you click your save game and the nice lady tells you "Please insert CD number yadda" its safe to put in the disc and continue the saved game. It ONLY happened after I arrived in a new location via the sub. The shipreck and the island ruins workshop place. I didn't have any trouble when I arrived at the final area, The Volcano. It did try to crash me right before the finale, but only once.

As for the vodka, you should try it Almirena. How else would I have thought to use my umbrella so much in a volcano laboratory?
"Hmmm..... I cant get passed this door....
ILL HIT IT WITH MY UMBRELLA! *hic* Wow, it worked!"
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

LaughingMan008 wrote:As for the vodka, you should try it Almirena. How else would I have thought to use my umbrella so much in a volcano laboratory?
LOL. I've not played this game, but that sounds like a pretty good description of most difficult puzzle/adventure games. :lol:
ThePudd
Sierra Fan

Post by ThePudd »

LaughingMan008 wrote:As for the vodka, you should try it Almirena. How else would I have thought to use my umbrella so much in a volcano laboratory?
That would've helped with Monkey Island...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Do your patches remove the need for the CD, Collector?

There's a few Sierra games I'd love to play, but I hate having all these CDs laying out. Like Shivers and Shivers II...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I only have official Sierra patches for Lighthouse. Lighthouse presents a problem, since it is on two CDs. I would have to learn to use Enrico Rolfi's TraduSCI tools to see if I could concatenate the resources from the two CDs. The only other way that you could do it would be a bit of a pain to play. you would have to create ISOs of the two CDs and switch between the mounted images in DOSBox.

It would be good to crack the multi CD nut, though, but that will take time. In the mean time, ask for any single CD game that you want to run without the CD and I will try to get around to it. Remember, all of the new installers that I am making eliminate the need for the CD after the install.

BTW, I am working on a new project that will fit in with all of this. It will allow the size of these new installers to be drastically reduced. It might be ready later tonight.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The file size is not an issue with me. :)

What other Sierra/Dynamix games were on single CD that required it? Need to think...
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

Mother Goose... Freddy Pharkas (isn't it?), Gold Mine (I'm sure it is!), the Conquest games...

Neither of the Phantasmagoria, sadly.

Collector, I don't know how you have the time to do what you do, but it's very, very much appreciated.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I don't think either of the Conquests require the CD to actually play though? I think they relied on in game/in book copyright verification? I think only the voice Freddy required the CD?

Return to “Lighthouse”