Other SCI3 games?

Talk about anything you want here
jafa
Sierra Enthusiast

Other SCI3 games?

Post by jafa »

Originally Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi guys,

I should be able to fix any SCI3 based game easily now.

The current game list
* Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Love For Sail
* Lighthouse - The Dark Being
* Phantasmagoria 2 - A Puzzle of Flesh
* RAMA
* Shivers 2 - Harvest of Souls

Police Quest SWAT is SCI3 based but difficult to find.

Do you know of any other SCI3 based games (ie 32-bit Win95 Sierra games)

Nick
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Other SCI3 games?

Post by Collector »

BTW, SCI3 is usually referred to SCI32. That is about it, the list is pretty short. There are some other SCI Windows only games that are SCI version 2x that have issues on modern machines. If FreeSCI were as developed as ScummVM, this would all be moot.

Other than that there are the Sierra games that came immediately after SCI that have issues with modern Windows. There are some infamous lockups in King's Quest MoE and Quest for Glory 5.

I would be worrying more about the Windows only games than the ones that came with a DOS interpretor, unless there is compelling reasons, like that the Windows version was superior to the DOS, i.e. noticeably better graphics. The next version of Windows after Vista will break backwards compatibility, causing this to have to be done all over again. DOSBox will surely be ported to Windows 7 very quickly.

While I am very grateful for your hard work, and am delighted to have some of the Windows only playable in XP/Vista without having to endure the likes of Virtual PC or VMware, I am concerned about the future playability of these classics. The ones with DOS interpretors are secure, as DOSBox will be available for many years to come.

Excuse me while I step up onto my soapbox, but unlike most other emulators DOSBox is very easy to use and can be setup to make DOS games seem to run natively in Windows, full screen or windowed mode on the fly. It is easy to run the games in DOSBox by merely double clicking a Windows shortcut. Unlike nearly all of the other emulators, DOSBox also fantastic audio quality, which is limited only by your audio hardware. Some builds even have Glide support. DOSBox makes these classics easily available to nearly all users, regardless of platform, even some handhelds.

Because of this, I would almost rather see some of the Windows only games ported to DOS, if it can be done without the loss of any quality. If somebody could hack the Windows graphics of King's quest VI into the DOS version, that would be ideal, but I and the many other KQ6 lovers just want the Windows version playable on XP/Vista without my VDMS solution with its cursor bug.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Re: Other SCI3 games?

Post by Almirena »

Oh yes. Yes, definitely.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”