King's Quest II VGA

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
SierraFan81
Noob

King's Quest II VGA

Post by SierraFan81 »

I admit, before the remakes I was never all that big into the earlier King's Quest games, but having recently played King's Quest 2 VGA I have to say I was very impressed, I enjoyed the well fleshed out story and the ties with later games. The Father is a character I wish we could have learned more about, and I like how in some ways it was very close in tone to King's Quest 6. I tried replying the original after that, and just couldn't get into it, it just seemed so "bare" plotwise, but don't get me wrong, I do appreciate it for what it is.

Is there anyone else that considers this version of KQ2 to be the official take on Graham's journey to rescue Lady Valanice?
Erpy
Noob

Re: King's Quest II VGA

Post by Erpy »

It was never meant to be an official take. Simply a fanon-retelling of an old story.

That said, if you enjoyed it, keep an eye on the AGDI site. We're expecting to release an updated version of the game that's well worth replaying.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Any rough date on this update? I'd be very interested. The KQ2 Remake was on my external drive that crashed. So I never got around to even being close to finishing it. May just wait for said update if it's going to be that good!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I really liked KQ2VGA. I thought it was a brilliant re-imagining. I especially liked what they did with the vampire angle of the game.
Taryn
Sierra Fan

Post by Taryn »

I really like the KQ2 remake as well. It really fleshes out the game, ties things together, and puts it into the KQ storyline. I thought the original KQ2 got boring after a while, really, and it all seemed so...unfocused. Like things were just thrown in at random. The funny thing is, KQ1 is like that too, and I don't mind it in KQ1...

The thing I didn't like is Connor's appearance in a...flashforward? Like a flashback to the future? Whatevarr. I think Rosella should be Graham's successor to the throne, and I didn't like KQ8 anyway.

My idea of the story is a rather convoluted mix of the games, the King's Quest Companion, fan material such as remakes, and many of my own ideas. Official or unofficial doesn't really matter to me.

(1) 1. Boomkat - Run Boy *10 weeks at #1*
(6) 2. Sugababes - No Can Do
(3) 3. Alex C. - Liebe Zu Dritt
(5) 4. Maksim - Luc^s^aja Hoc^'
(2) 5. Miro - Gubja Kontrol Kogato
Full chart
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

I loved KQ2VGA the redesigning of the story was just simply very well thought out and It reminds me alot of KQ6. KQ1VGA was alot better than the SCI remake that sierra did.
FREEZE SCUM!!
Erpy
Noob

Post by Erpy »

Unfortunately not. I've heard there's still quite a few lines that require lipsyncing. (one of the new features) We'll probably know fairly soon when the new build of KQ1VGA is released.

And funny you should mention the "slapped togetherness" of KQ2. Lori Cole told us that that WAS basically how the game was put together...a collection of notes was basically pinned on a map with each note having a fairy tale or folk tail on it that was to be added to the game there. Not exactly food for coherance. I also heard (may be a rumor or may be not), that "He Who Waits Behind" was initially meant to be a djinni in a lamp, but since KQ2 already had a djinni in a lamp, our pink/purple puff had to settle for a ring as residence in order to avoid "imitation".

Taryn
Sierra Fan

Post by Taryn »

Yeah, maybe I didn't like it in the original KQ2 because I managed to beat it pretty quickly (although missing a bunch of points), whereas I found KQ1 to be more challenging...

Full chart
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Did you play KQ1 first or KQ2? I am thinking once you played KQ1 (if it was first) - it'd be more challenging. By the time KQ2 came out - you'd know how the game works (from playing KQ1) and be able to use the same logic from KQ1 into KQ2.... am I making sense? :D
Taryn
Sierra Fan

Post by Taryn »

Neither.

If I'm not mistaken, I played them in this order (not counting 8, which I either didn't play or only played a little of): 3, 6, 5, 7, (1, 2, 4 the same day as each other).

I got into KQ late (I was only born in 1987, and first played KQ3 in 1993), so by the time I wanted more KQ games, they weren't selling 1-4 anymore. I didn't get to play 1, 2, and 4 until we got a King's Quest Collection in probably 1998 or so.

Full chart

Return to “The King's Quest Series”