Favorite Quest for Glory game and why?

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Favorite Quest for Glory game and why?

Post by Collector »

That's right. Never mind.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Collector wrote:That's right. Never mind.
You mean that it's an already loose battle?
That I won't ever be able to play the game without bugs?

:cry:
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I was just thinking that if you had the floppy version that that might have been the problem. The floppy version was far more bugged than the MPC version.

Klausse
Noob

Post by Klausse »

QfG 2 (the original because I didn't play the remake yet)

Reasons:
- a great story
- quite an exotic atmosphere (while Mordavia is way too close to my homeland!)
- typing interface that gives a very real feeling to conversations
- pixelated pictures that look like they were made from grain of sand, very fitting for the desert theme
- my favourite nemesis Khaveen
- TbF is the first sequel to the QfG 1 and I remember that great feeling of the story going further, iit was in every game but for me it was the strongest in the TbF simply because I never expected it as a real continuation of the story that started in Spielburg
- there are quite a few thousands of other reasons but I'm feeling too lazy to formulate them now.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Again we agree, Klausse :D
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

Collector wrote:QfG4. Great feel, good graphics, compelling story, perfect balance of adventure and RPG. with a soundtrack forever burned into my minds ear. Besides, you can't beat the voice of John Rhys-Davies for narrator.
Exactly.

The soundtrack is the perfect rescue remedy for a stressful day. ;)
Tinuviel
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Tinuviel »

It's generally a toss up between QFG2 and 4...with 4 usually winning. The atmosphere, character development...all of it was incredible. The funny part is I was initially reluctant to play it (as well as any of the Gabriel Knight games) because of an irrational fear of werewolves and vampires.

Good thing I played them. :P
Matthias
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by Matthias »

I love all the Quest for Glory games, but 4 edges 1 slightly for me. The first one is near the top of my list because of all the nostalgia playing it brings me. I also love the Germanic setting and characters, as well as the sense of accomplishment of going from zero to hero; most of the rest of the games don't really give that feeling of danger and weakness at first (QG4 coming the closest).

Mostly, I pick QG4 because I love the setting, story and character development in it. It was my favorite even before we had all the fixes for the bugs; I just couldn't get enough of the game. I feel that the Hero's actions in QG4 affect the outcome more than in any of the other games, especially with the paladin sidequests. There are many moments in the game that really nearly bring a tear to my eye to this day: reuniting Nikolai and Anna, helping Dmitri come to terms with what happened to his grandfather, helping out the Rusalka, helping the townspeople overcome their irrational fear of gypsies, and freeing Tanya. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention you save the world? Again.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
THEONELASTCHANCE
Noob

Post by THEONELASTCHANCE »

Quest for Glory 5.I also loved 4,but the glitches made it next to unplayable.I played it even on DOSBox,which should barely produce any errors,avoided any known "glitch out" areas that I could,and yet still the game crashed before I could actually finish it.What's funny,is I think the reason that people can't remember finishing 5,is because you can't on a modern system without installing the quick time edition that comes with the game.Otherwise,When ****** drops the ****** *****,the video dosen't play,and therefore,crashes to desktop.
Yes,there's more combat then in other QFG games,but unlike 2,where the combat is excruciating and you can die in no time flat,your charachter can actually stand a few blows from the sword.I think that's people's biggest complaints with the game,is the fact that it's more tuned to combat,but think about it.throughout the other game series,your health,strength,everything,is only anywhere from 1-400 by the end of QFG4.
Now,you can increase it to 550 strength,combat use,maxed out every stat,and frankly,it was about time to actually see those skills be put to good use.instead of a game like QFG3,where I avoided combat like the plague,because it got in the way of the story.
Plus,you could equip a thief with the Magic Sword,and you can still fight through most battles perfectly fine.my favorite class to use was a thief,with magic attached.run into the fishing villages on the first right,cast dazzle to where enemies are blind as a bat,and then continue to kill them.I also think the combat is most true to QFG humorous style then any other QFG,like the Dazzle,Awe spell(enemies run from you in fear as a paladin) Dazzling Lights(Dumb enemies attack the lights instead of you) so on.
There are SO many things about this game that 90% of people never try to.
Levitate under the Windmill,Cast Thermonuclear Blast,Pickpocket a guard,Rob the bank the 3rd time(save of course),Give herra's ring to Rakeesh,Kill the queen,Hex edit the code to put in the Magic Bow(no bow and arrow animation was every put in the game,therefore,it just looks like the hero's chest is shooting arrows) Play as Elsa/Magnum(another edit thing)
I also played the game without patches.why?because you can marry more then one woman.You can then see many of the games endings depending on which girl you choose.Also,even if you don't have poison pills,Rakeesh dosen't die.you just alert the guard at the gate about what happened,and they rush to him,same points and everything.In the end,QFG5 is my absolute favorite because you can tell it was done exactly for the fans.I may have had a different outlook,as I actually played 5 first as a kid.saw the disc sitting on my brother in law's desk,popped it in,and started playing.I loved the story,setting,people,everything really,and trust me,I've done everything possible in one game that you CAN do in one game.(The only things left to do at the end of one of my thief playthroughs for example was ,Marry Katrina,Erana,and tell the guards about Rakeesh being poisined(used the pills)
I swear I could be blindfolded and tell people how to get exactly through the game.
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

None of the above. Hero's Quest! :lol:

Seriously though, I only played HQ & QFG2 (and I don't even think I got very far in 2 - may have been on a friend's computer). Definitely makes me want to play this series from the beginning, if I only had the time.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

gumby wrote:None of the above. Hero's Quest! :lol:

Seriously though, I only played HQ & QFG2 (and I don't even think I got very far in 2 - may have been on a friend's computer). Definitely makes me want to play this series from the beginning, if I only had the time.
You owe it to yourself to play QfG4.

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Collector wrote:You owe it to yourself to play QfG4.
You owe it to yourself to finish QfG2.

:D
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

AndreaDraco wrote:
Collector wrote:You owe it to yourself to play QfG4.
You owe it to yourself to finish QfG2.

:D
All of the above.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

Yeah, I think I stopped 'progressing' with Sierra games in the early 90's - with the beginning of the VGA games (KQ5 is the only one I think I saw). Gotta find some time I guess...
oberonqa
Sierra Lover

Post by oberonqa »

I guess I'm the odd man out here... my favorite QfG is, and always will be... Quest for Glory III. Even though it's kind of like the bastard child of the series (after all, it wasn't even a part of the Cole's over-arching story plan until they realized that Shadows of Darkness would be too hard for characters coming straight out of Trial by Fire)... I have many fond memories of it.

It was a radical departure for the series... especially with the use of the overhead region maps, but the storyline was what got me. It was a truly serious and pressing tale, and you get the impression that war is imminent and you don't have much time to avert it.

It was also the one game in the series that, to me, exemplifies the role of Paladin. Sure, Shadows of Darkness and Dragon Fire have their own Paladin-centric storylines, but in those two games, those storylines came off as tacked on... whereas in Wages of War, it seems like the entire storyline was tailored specifically for the Paladin archetype (something that some would say hindered the storylines of the other archtypes, specifically Thief since there's not much for the Thief to really do in Wages of War).

I also enjoyed the soundtrack. It has a wide mix of different themes that sound different (some are uplifting, some are neutral, some are foreboding). The Shadows of Darkness soundtrack, while sounding great, is comprised of music which are all pretty foreboding and suffer from a lack of diversity that Wages of War did not suffer from.

I will say that I wish Wages of War had utilized a different fighting system. That's the one area that the game struggles at, in my opinion. It's not as intuitive as the prior games, and it's not as fast-paced as the Shadows of Darkness fighting system. It is, however, much better than the Dragon Fire fight system (which I felt was atrocious... and also pretty much sums up how I feel about Dragon Fire in general).

And of course... Liontaurs... enough said. :)

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”