Difficulties with KQVIII and glide wrapper

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Goober815
Noob

Difficulties with KQVIII and glide wrapper

Post by Goober815 »

Hello all,

I recently had a hankering to replay the entire series from start to finish. I'm on Win 7 64-bit.

I played I-VII without a problem! They were just as good as I remembered.

Mask of Eternity has been challenging thusfar. Google led me to a post from Collector on instructions to get the game running via virtual pc.

I installed VPC, installed Win98 on top of it, and then finally installed and patched MoE. The game runs great, but isn't as pretty as I remember without glide. I have tried installing nglide, which had no effect and wouldn't allow me to select 3dfx from the graphics options.

I then tried Zeckensack's glide wrapper. It allowed me to select 3dfx from the graphics options, but then the entire screen would go black (though I could still hear the menu music). I tried multiple reinstallations of the game and wrapper with the same effect.

Does anybody know of a possible solution? I'd love to finish off the series again, even with MoE being a bit different from the rest of the games :)

Thanks!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Difficulties with KQVIII and glide wrapper

Post by Collector »

I have tried various Glide wrappers inside of a virtual machine, but the results weren't pretty. None of them behave as they do in a non vitualized environment. performance is also a potential issue, as it adds another load on top of that of the emulation/virtualization. I have been exploring getting MoE to run natively on Vista/Win7, but have only manage to fix the opening crash. It still won't fully run.

The best that I can suggest is to not use a wrapper. Beyond that, you might try to request a Win7 compatible installer on the Squirt the Cat forums, but jafa may not have time to do one.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Goober815
Noob

Post by Goober815 »

I'll just go ahead and play it without glide - I'm sure I'll stop noticing the graphics half an hour in anyways.

Thanks for your speedy and helpful post :)

Maybe someday I'll dig through my old parts and piece together a machine with my old voodoo3...
YeOldeSierraFan
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by YeOldeSierraFan »

Collector wrote:I have tried various Glide wrappers inside of a virtual machine, but the results weren't pretty. None of them behave as they do in a non vitualized environment. performance is also a potential issue, as it adds another load on top of that of the emulation/virtualization. I have been exploring getting MoE to run natively on Vista/Win7, but have only manage to fix the opening crash. It still won't fully run.

The best that I can suggest is to not use a wrapper. Beyond that, you might try to request a Win7 compatible installer on the Squirt the Cat forums, but jafa may not have time to do one.
How far can you get into the game with the experiments you've been doing?
Like it gets past the opening crash--but how far past it does it get?
I hope you can get it to run natively on Win7, that'd be awesome.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

YeOldeSierraFan wrote:How far can you get into the game with the experiments you've been doing?
I got it to the point that instead of the immediate crash, the opening music will start and it creates the Window, but the window remains blank and never goes full screen. I have gone through about every possible setting of the Application Compatibility Tool to no avail. It is going to take some debugging and possibly RE-ing to fix it, which is getting beyond my abilities.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

YeOldeSierraFan
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by YeOldeSierraFan »

Collector wrote:
YeOldeSierraFan wrote:How far can you get into the game with the experiments you've been doing?
I got it to the point that instead of the immediate crash, the opening music will start and it creates the Window, but the window remains blank and never goes full screen. I have gone through about every possible setting of the Application Compatibility Tool to no avail. It is going to take some debugging and possibly RE-ing to fix it, which is getting beyond my abilities.
I've heard the main problem is that the exe file isn't readable by Windows Vista and 7. I'm not good with tech stuff, but maybe that bit of info could help. I really hope one of you guys can do something about it.

Return to “The King's Quest Series”