Fan Games in Win7 ?

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Fan Games in Win7 ?

Post by audiodane »

What is the best way to run some of these fan games (SQ2.5, SQIV.5, KQ1-3, etc) in Windows 7?

Seems I cannot run them full screen... :(

thanks,
..dane
audiodane

Re: Fan Games in Win7 ?

Post by audiodane »

Found this:
try to change graphic driver option in AGS game setup. [..snip..] Try setting Direct3D 9.
EDIT: Testing update with Windows 7...

KQI (ADGI) - v4.0 works using "Direct3D 9" (though v4.1 just released with some Win7 fixes, not yet tested)

KQII (ADGI) - v3.0 works using "Direct3D 9" (though v3.1 just released with some Win7 fixes, not yet tested)

KQIII (IA) - v2.0 only runs in window mode

SQ0 - runs fine (uses NAGI)

SQII.5 - runs fine (uses DOSBox)

SQIV.5 - 3.000 only runs in window mode and only using the lesser graphics settings ("fastest" size), although it can be run using the "3x nearest-neighbor filter" to make the window a reasonable size on modern monitors.

cheers,
..dane
audiodane

Post by audiodane »

Reply from IA regarding their KQIII remake:
Dane,

Hello! Yes, we're actually working on a "gold" upgrade to KQIII which fixes a lot of bugs and such. Look for that sometime in the next year.

Bt
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

audiodane wrote:Reply from IA regarding their KQIII remake:
Dane,

Hello! Yes, we're actually working on a "gold" upgrade to KQIII which fixes a lot of bugs and such. Look for that sometime in the next year.

Bt
That's exciting news. I still can't wait for SQ2 and KQ:KoS.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
audiodane

Post by audiodane »

KQIII (IA) uses AGS v2.71
SQIV.5 (Westend Studios) uses AGS v2.72

KQI and II use AGS v3.x, which allows you to choose which graphics driver is used.

That seems to make a huge difference (for now). I imagine IA is working on bringing KQIII up to date with a more recent AGS engine (among other things)...

But yes, once I finish "THE" games, I'm going to go back and play the fan games.. :)

..dane
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

KQ1 and KQ2+ have recently been updated to versions 3.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Also, the IA guys seem to despise AGS 3.x from a programming standpoint. I think they're sticking to 2.72 for both SQ2 and KOS.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

audiodane wrote:KQIII (IA) uses AGS v2.71
SQIV.5 (Westend Studios) uses AGS v2.72

KQI and II use AGS v3.x, which allows you to choose which graphics driver is used.

That seems to make a huge difference (for now). I imagine IA is working on bringing KQIII up to date with a more recent AGS engine (among other things)...

But yes, once I finish "THE" games, I'm going to go back and play the fan games.. :)

..dane
I'm probably one of the only people that really enjoyed SQIV.5 (the updated version, I mean). It definitely had its flaws, but I thought it did a good job of bridging the gap between IV and V, even if it wasn't exactly as I had imagined it.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
audiodane

Post by audiodane »

Heard back from the developer of SQ IV.5 who said it works find on his Win7 64bit machine. Doesn't work on my Win7 32bit machine (Intel HD graphics chipset). However he did mention that it worked fine under WinXP SP2.

I had tried running it in compatibility mode for WinXP SP3 as well as Win98 with no luck. After getting that little nugget in an email I tried to run it in WinXP SP2 mode and BOOM! Worked great. So did KQIII (IA).

So, if you're having trouble, try using compatibility mode for winxp SP2..

I also passed that information along to the developers of KQIII and SQIV.5 ...

cheers,
..dane
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

I have something to add I got KQIII Vga to work under windows 7 pro 64 bit in full screen mode. What I had to do to get it to work is set the Resolution to 600X400 and check force alternate letterbox resolution which will change the resolution from 600X400 to 640X480 and it should work with out any problems. The only thing that I had a problem with is getting the Voice pack to work but I installed the pack under xp-mode then copied the voice file back to the IA/KQIII folder and it worked.
FREEZE SCUM!!

Return to “The Space Quest Series”