You Don't know Jack WinXP error

Nonspecific Sierra games or ones that do not have its own forum.
SierraDude81
Sierra Lover

You Don't know Jack WinXP error

Post by SierraDude81 »

Hello wise troubleshooters! I found a CD of You don't know Jack TV among my collection and decided to give her a whirl. Unfortunately during install I get this error:

"GLBSSTUB caused a General Protection Fault in module USER.EXE at 0001:67AC.
Choose close. GLBSSTUB will close."

Unfortunately searching has not found much of a solution, the only thing I could find is that it's possibly a XP compatibility thing, but I swear I had this game running on this comp before....
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: You Don't know Jack WinXP error

Post by Tawmis »

SierraDude81 wrote:Hello wise troubleshooters! I found a CD of You don't know Jack TV among my collection and decided to give her a whirl. Unfortunately during install I get this error:

"GLBSSTUB caused a General Protection Fault in module USER.EXE at 0001:67AC.
Choose close. GLBSSTUB will close."

Unfortunately searching has not found much of a solution, the only thing I could find is that it's possibly a XP compatibility thing, but I swear I had this game running on this comp before....
From a site (old) for YDKJ specifically:

a problem when installing can occur if you create a new OS, what i mean is when you installed XP onto your computer, did you reformat your disk? if you had not used a DoD disk (which erases your computer including windows and whatnot) then you may still have remnants of previous programs.

to put it into easier terms, you know how it's always recommended you run uninstall? well if you don't and you just delete, then there will still be remnants of the program in your registry. when you go to try and erase the rest of it, certain files are missing, and you're stuck with wasted memory on your hard drive. if you go into the control panel, you can try to manually remove certain programs. in XP, it is located in the start menu, and click on add or remove programs (make sure you don't click the hardware one). when you see a program in the registry you don't want, click change/remove and it will open the uninstall file for that program. if jack is removed when you try that, then it has been cleared from your registry and it is as if it was never on your computer. just reinstall and it should work flawlessly. for those that you deleted manually without uninstall, you will notice that it won't let you uninstall. if you have the game on your computer but you can't install or uninstall, then you may want to find some professional help. if it still doesn't work, i would recommend backing up your disk, then running a DoD which will COMPLETELY ERASE YOUR COMPUTER. MAKE SURE you have INSTALL DISKS for everything, INCLUDING SPEAKERS, GRAPHICS CARDS, ETC. this is a FINAL RESORT. running a DoD erases everything and makes your computer DUMB. it is just like it came out of the shop. so if nothing seems to work, then try that, and reinstalling should be fine. sorry i could not have found a simpler solution.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: You Don't know Jack WinXP error

Post by Tawmis »

That said... these guys linked to a thread that had your same exact issue and said in this thread:

The error you're seeing is usually related to the Windows temp directory
being cluttered. It happens with a few application installers, not just
Ecco. See these links for info about how to fix the error:
http://www.knowledgepoint.com/kpscripts ... id&ID=7729
http://www.transactive.com.au/support/glbsstub.html

Enjoy Ecco! There is no better tool for implementing GTD.

However, the poster claimed they did this and it didn't work! But someone else suggested he might have more than one temp folder. Another person agreed and suggested:

As Don points out, there are multiple temp directories in Windows. Just in case the problem file is somewhere you haven't found yet, I would use Windows Search (Start Menu -> Search -> For Files or Folders) and search your hard drive for GLSSTUB*.* and delete (or rename, for safety) any instances you find. Then try installing Ecco again.

Someone had the problem and claimed it didn't work.

But between all that, I imagine it should work.

And yes, I was being silly with all the linking. :lol:

Return to “Other Sierra Games”