Real life adventure idea

Talk about anything you want here
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Real life adventure idea

Post by Moon Dragon »

So, I had this idea that it could be funny to make puzzles and post them around the city for people to solve. Kinda like geocaching, but with puzzlesolving instead of just coordinates. I'm even thinking it could be linked to an online community, or someplace where you had to punch in the correct answer to get the next clue. Then it could keep track of how many you had solved and it wouldn't matter which puzzle you solved first. The puzzles could even be related to local attractions, so you would have to explore your city in order to solve them and learn new stuff, like in a typical adventure game.

What do you think, is it doable or has it already been done?
audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Re: Real life adventure idea

Post by audiodane »

Did you ever read the book "Maze?" (EDIT: I see it was released by Interplay in 1994 as "Riddle of the Maze" and is also now available to play online!)

Traditional PC adventure games give you no clues where to look for other items and/or clues. However if done like a choose-your-own-adventure, then finding clue one would always give you two or more choices:

Choice 1- If this is your first found item or you want to restart, go to (x,y) for the first clue.
Choice 2- to open door A, go to (x1, y1)
Choice 3- to walk down the path to the east, go to (x2, y2)
Choice 4- to use the _____ with the _____, go to (x3, y3)
Choice ...

Would need lots of planning to pull it off properly, but what a fun game that would be!

..dane
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Re: Real life adventure idea

Post by Moon Dragon »

What I was thinking was more along the lines of the clues in Gray Matter when looking for the daedalus club, rather than a genuine adventure (Turst me, if I had the money I would build a house of real life puzzles and invetory items people could solve like an amusement park ride). As is I have to think of cheap solutions, but a small piece of paper is easily missed in a big city, so I think I'd need to at least hint at a next location or people would give up too soon because they weren't in the mood to go pixel hunting through the city.

The idear of making it more adventurous could work, I'm just not sure what the puzzles would be for, other than 'just' to be solved... unless one devised an online point/rank system so others could see what you had achived :-s.

This looks like it could grow way out of my league fast :-o.

OH, and thanx for the link to the Maze, it's quite fun to try :-D

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”