Favorite "First" In A Series? (EGA Version)

Talk about anything you want here

Favorite "First" In A Series? (EGA Version)

King's Quest I
38%
Police Quest I
14%
Leisure Suit Larry I
19%
Space Quest I
29%

Total votes: 21

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Favorite "First" In A Series? (EGA Version)

Post by Tawmis »

jujigatame wrote:You're absolutely right, but I think the difference in PQ is that the series clearly takes itself seriously, so when things come off as nonsensical or goofy, it's more glaring than when something in one of the other Sierra series comes off that way.
Considering what they were able to do at that time, that was probably one of the most serious games I played - "pretty realistic" - all things considered.
audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Post by audiodane »

Rudy wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
audiodane wrote:I've never playeed PQ or LSL, so can't say anything there..
:shock:

Say what?!??
RUN, Audiodane. RUUUUUUUN!!! :lol:
hahaha... :) Oh well!

And I'm with Rath- I remember the CGA days. Heck, I remember well the green monochrome screen of our TRS-80 Model 1. Was very young at the time, but LOVED the computer.. My dad encouraged my brother and I to fiddle with it, and we DID. He had to fix the keyboard once or twice as a result. :) But now my brother works for Microsoft and I design electronics for a living. Turned out well for the both of us I think.

Never had Hercules though- was always on the fence about it; it was cool with "higher" resolution, but no color. I like colors. Brings me back to CGA- ahhh, CGA, how I miss thee.

..dane
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

audiodane wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
audiodane wrote:I've never playeed PQ or LSL, so can't say anything there..
:shock:

Say what?!??
RUN, Audiodane. RUUUUUUUN!!! :lol:
hahaha... :) Oh well!

And I'm with Rath- I remember the CGA days. Heck, I remember well the green monochrome screen of our TRS-80 Model 1. Was very young at the time, but LOVED the computer.. My dad encouraged my brother and I to fiddle with it, and we DID. He had to fix the keyboard once or twice as a result. :) But now my brother works for Microsoft and I design electronics for a living. Turned out well for the both of us I think.

Never had Hercules though- was always on the fence about it; it was cool with "higher" resolution, but no color. I like colors. Brings me back to CGA- ahhh, CGA, how I miss thee.

..dane
Heh. I can't say I ever had a TRS-80 - the earliest I can remember was an old Atari 2600. Boy, those were the days... after which I moved to a Commodore 64, which my dad encouraged me to fiddle with (at the age of 3 or so). So I wrote a few programs in BASIC, but mostly played Commodore 64 games. ;) Now I've had a few programming contracts under my belt, and I still game and write code for fun. :)

I don't think I can remember CGA too much, except once playing top-down Tetris in CGA. I also think I played Sokoban in CGA.... and possibly also Maniac Mansion (?), although this is going back to 1990 (21 years ago???), so I don't think I can remember too much of that. Those were the days, although - oops - I'd better stop before I turn into Grampa Rath mode. :P
Zapher
Bad Sierra Gamer

Post by Zapher »

Straight up police quest one, i played and played and played that game and to this day have never finished it. but in all honesty i have not played the other three =\ (im a bad sierra gamer D: )
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Zapher wrote:Straight up police quest one, i played and played and played that game and to this day have never finished it. but in all honesty i have not played the other three =\ (im a bad sierra gamer D: )
Yeegads man! How have ye missed the classics?!?
Zapher
Bad Sierra Gamer

Post by Zapher »

some of them were just a wee bit before my time lol
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Zapher wrote:some of them were just a wee bit before my time lol
:lol:

Why... If I could find my cane and get out of my walker, and find my hearing aid and dentures, I'd go over there and rap you on the head!

(Of course, all the classics have been re-released through various Collections...) :-D
Zapher
Bad Sierra Gamer

Post by Zapher »

im going to try some of them now, i have enjoyed the AGI remakes for kings quest and QFG 2 so i should give the originals some love
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote:
Zapher wrote:some of them were just a wee bit before my time lol
:lol:

Why... If I could find my cane and get out of my walker, and find my hearing aid and dentures, I'd go over there and rap you on the head!
Young whippersnappers these days ain' got no respect fer their elders! :D

Speaking of PQ1 (and Sierra games generally), am I the only one who enjoys doing dunderheaded things in Sierra games, just to see what would happen? (For instance, the first thing I tried in PQ1 was get Sonny Bonds to shower and then walk out of the locker room without changing back into his uniform). :P

Speaking of which... I just thought of something. There's a female detective working at Lytton PD, but there's no female locker rooms. :o The mind boggles...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Speaking of PQ1 (and Sierra games generally), am I the only one who enjoys doing dunderheaded things in Sierra games, just to see what would happen? (For instance, the first thing I tried in PQ1 was get Sonny Bonds to shower and then walk out of the locker room without changing back into his uniform). :P
Used to love doing that stuff.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Didn't most of us?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Post by audiodane »

yup

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”