Favorite Space Quest and why?

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Favorite Space Quest and why?

Post by Tawmis »

All right - let's get this section of the forum rolling by discussing your favorite SQ game - and why it's your favorite. After we get a reply or two in here I will give my answer (because I know you're sitting on the edge of the chair wanting to know, right?)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: Favorite Space Quest and why?

Post by AndreaDraco »

I'm currently playing Space Quest 3. I never really looked out for this series, since I'm not a fan of sci-fi. I totally disliked the first two games, but now things are getting better...

So far, I have to say SQ3 but I'm especially looking forward SQ4, since I'm a total sucker for time-travels :P
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

AndreaDraco83 wrote:I'm a total sucker for time-travels
And you say that you are not a fan of SF. Don't forget that one of the very first SF stories was The Time Machine. ;)

Seriously, though, 4 is probably most people's favorite. I have a fondness for the one SQ that was not developed by Sierra -- SQ5.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

For myself my favorite is SQ3. While you may not be a fan of scifi - I am not even sure you could consider SQ a SciFi more than a comedy. (Reminds me of the movie GALAXY QUEST... I don't call that SciFi either). But SQ4 is a close second because it has some classic stuff (Oh look at Mr. VGA! and the Energizer Bunny!) - so SQ4 is a very, very, very close second.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:I am not even sure you could consider SQ a SciFi more than a comedy.
The SF is merely a vehicle for the humor. The whole of each game is one long running gag. I am not always in the mood for such games, but when I am they are great. I guess that is one of the main reasons that I have never been that big of a LucasArts fan. All of their games are like that.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Collector wrote: I guess that is one of the main reasons that I have never been that big of a LucasArts fan. All of their games are like that.
I'm not a Lucas fan because (A) I tend to prefer darker, more adult-themed games and (B) when I like humor, it has to be an adult, sarcastic, even political one, and I find their humor very juvenile and way too much zany.

I specified that I'm not a Sci-Fi fan, because SQ uses a lot of Sci-Fi references as puns and I surely miss at least half of them. Nonetheless, with SQ3 I'm beginning to like the series, mainly because I'm growing fond of Roger ;)

@Collector: I don't know very well this chapter in Sierra's history. Why do you say that SQ5 wasn't developed by Sierra?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco83 wrote: I specified that I'm not a Sci-Fi fan, because SQ uses a lot of Sci-Fi references as puns and I surely miss at least half of them. Nonetheless, with SQ3 I'm beginning to like the series, mainly because I'm growing fond of Roger ;)
Ah! A good and valid point. Thankfully, there's some of the more obscure SciFi references - but most of them are references to the big ones (Star Wars, Star Trek, Aliens, etc).
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

AndreaDraco83 wrote:@Collector: I don't know very well this chapter in Sierra's history. Why do you say that SQ5 wasn't developed by Sierra?
When the "2 Guys from Andromeda" broke up, Mark Crowe, one of the two had moved on to Dynamix, which was by then owned by Sierra. It fell on Mark to develop Space Quest V at Dynamix with a Dynamix crew. It was still developed with SCI, the same as all of the other Sierra adventures at the time and was published by Sierra, like all Dynamix game then.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Collector wrote: When the "2 Guys from Andromeda" broke up, Mark Crowe, one of the two had moved on to Dynamix, which was by then owned by Sierra. It fell on Mark to develop Space Quest V at Dynamix with a Dynamix crew. It was still developed with SCI, the same as all of the other Sierra adventures at the time and was published by Sierra, like all Dynamix game then.
Interesting. I recently read an interview of Scott Murphy, at Adventure Classic Gaming, and he was very bitter about his former fellow. I will surely be interested in knowing more about their story, since - not having played SQ games - I never really deepen into their history.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco83 wrote: Interesting. I recently read an interview of Scott Murphy, at Adventure Classic Gaming, and he was very bitter about his former fellow. I will surely be interested in knowing more about their story, since - not having played SQ games - I never really deepen into their history.
It's a bummer, really. I thought (appearances, anyway) - they were great together.
Akril
Sierra Veteran

Post by Akril »

I'd have to say it's a tie between SQ4 and 6. The dialogue, humor, and various sci-fi references in both games are great, and though some of the puzzles in SQ4 were pretty hard, they weren't hard enough to drive me away. I'm also somewhat fond of 256-color SVGA, hence my appreciation for SQ6.

I also thought the Datacorder puzzle in SQ6 was fairly straightforward -- but then again, I played the Time Warp of Dr. Brain before I solved it for the first time.
Sierra's Resource Files - There is more to Sierra's games than meets the eye...
My Sierra fan art and fan fiction.
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

My favorite is SQ6, with an EXTREMELY close second going to SGV.

The only SQ game I can honestly say that I don't enjoy is SQII.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

JasefWisener wrote: The only SQ game I can honestly say that I don't enjoy is SQII.
Whoa. What? Really? Why is that?
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Tawmis wrote: Whoa. What? Really? Why is that?
For me, it's because of Labion's jungle... An inane labyrinth not one, but two times around? :shock:
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

My favorite is SQ5. Out of all the games, I felt this one was a lot more cinematic in it's narrative, with a lot more characters and situations to encounter. I have a soft spot for each game, however.

Return to “The Space Quest Series”