Question regarding SQ6-like Game Demo

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Question regarding SQ6-like Game Demo

Post by Expack3 »

I continually remember this demo for a game I played when I was young in 1996/7 which seems like a Sierra game, yet am not sure on that fact (hence why this is in the Other Games & Help sub-forum). Upon retrospection, it seems like a more realistic-looking, darker (in thematic tone) version of the Space Quest 6 demo (the latter I only played in my adult years). In the very short intro, which takes place in outer space, a giant spaceship flies over a comparatively-smaller ship in Death Star fashion. Inside the ship, in a clean, white-looking room, the janitor, or somebody who works on the ship (can't remember which), emerges from a recessed door in the left wall. He is then witness to a grotesque-looking alien beaming aboard and sapping the power out of an exposed electrical panel on the right ship wall. Shortly after this, you take control of the crewman. You can try and take action on or against the alien, but he'll merely channel the energy he's sapping onto you, instantly killing you. To the north, there's access to the ship's docking bay, but you need a numerical password to get anywhere. To the south, there's the crewman's quarters - which, like the SQ6 demo, has an electrical outlet you can try and touch, only to get electrocuted.

Beyond that, that's all I was ever able to see in the demo - it was rather limited, and I could never solve any of the puzzles. Does anyone know if there was ever a demo for a game like this?
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Question regarding SQ6-like Game Demo

Post by Tawmis »

Yes, where Roger Wilco is in a room.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Are you sure that you are not remembering the SQ6 interactive demo? http://sierrahelp.com/Misc/Demos.html#SQ
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

After looking at the SQ6 demo again, I'm certain I'm remembering something else for the following reasons:
  1. There is no "interactive demo" introduction in the demo I remember - instead, the game immediately starts with an introduction in outer space outside of the ship (not too dissimilar to this image, except with just two ships and a starfield), with another, bigger ship coming overhead a smaller ship.
  2. The ship interior I remember looks much higher-resolution, whiter, and cleaner (no joke intended) than the SQ6 demo ship interior.
  3. There are only two characters shown, the player-controlled character and a single, invading alien - neither of which look anything like the characters from SQ6. Heck, if the player character is Roger, he sure didn't look like Roger.
  4. The player character was able to walk to all the locations in the demo.
  5. The hanger was locked with a numerical combination you had to enter on a keypad. (Incidentally, I could never figure out the combination.)
  6. The alien sapping the ship's power supply would kill the player character every time he attempted to interact with him.
  7. The only one doing narration was the player character himself.
  8. Every death automatically reset the game to the last "safe" spot (no death screen was shown), with the character saying something like "OK, that was stupid. Let's try that again."
  9. The demo I remember was much more realistic-looking compared to the SQ6 demo.
  10. The demo I remember was a native Windows 3.x/Windows 95 application.
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

Maybe one of these titles will seem familiar?

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”