Kings Quest 2 - SCI Remake - You can contribute!

Talk about anything you want here
gumby
Oldbie

Kings Quest 2 - SCI Remake - You can contribute!

Post by gumby »

Anybody here want to get into a collaborative competition? Ever want to help participate in creating an SCI game? Now is your chance.

MusicallyInspired has been working on this remake for many years now and has taken a step back from it, but willing to have work continue on it as long as it's in the spirit of the project: That this remake be done in the same style as the KQ1 SCI remake that Sierra created of it's original AGI version.

Here's MI's demo of the game programmed thus far: I've created a mini-competition hosted over on sciprogramming (http://sciprogramming.com/community/ind ... ml#msg3952). Each competitor will choose a different unfinished room background (if you watch the youtube video you'll be able to spot some of these) and complete it. Here's the kicker: every competition-submitted room background will be used in the actual game, whether you win the competition or not! That's right, your hard work will go straight into the game provided you follow in the KQ1SCI style.

All you need to do is draw a vector-based EGA picture, no programming experience needed or required. You are even allowed to use pieces and parts of rooms from KQ1 & KQ4 SCI games if you wish. Additional functionality exists in the SCI Studio & SCI Companion (the IDEs for creating SCI games) to allow you to load a tracing image to help simplify background creation. My point is that anyone can do this, even non-artistic types like me :).

The competition will begin Sept 1st & end the 30th, you'll have a full month to create your background. The competition is just getting planned out, and we are still getting together the rooms available to draw. I hope to see some of you here participate!
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Re: Kings Quest 2 - SCI Remake - You can contribute!

Post by Expack3 »

Since you're opening this up to non-artists, I think including an EGA color table, such as this public domain one, would be immensely useful for those wanting to honor the 16 on-screen colors limit and for those wanting to ensure they only use EGA colors. (Of course, since the SCI version of King's Quest 2 seemed to have lots of dithering going on, it's probably a moot point.)
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Expack3 wrote:Since you're opening this up to non-artists, I think including an EGA color table, such as this public domain one, would be immensely useful for those wanting to honor the 16 on-screen colors limit and for those wanting to ensure they only use EGA colors. (Of course, since the SCI version of King's Quest 2 seemed to have lots of dithering going on, it's probably a moot point.)
No need when using SCI Companion. The palette is built in. And effectively, there are more than 16 colors as the palette available for use includes all of the dithered colors. To participate, you will need to use SCI Companion or SCI Studio to create the PIC resource.
Companion does have a nice feature to convert an image into a PIC resource. It is a straight forward process if the image being imported is 320px x 190px using the SCI "expanded palette". If it has to resample the image and convert the image's palette to standard EGA with the dithered colors, the result may be variable.
Attachments
Palette.png
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

I didn't state this in the original post (or even over on sciprogramming), but your entry will need to be an exported SCI PIC resource, so Collector is correct you will need to use one of the IDEs mentioned above.

Additonally, for those interested and have not used either SCI Studio or SCI Companion before, I really have to recommend using SCI Companion for this project. I think most users will find it easier & more stable to use. Of course, it's up to you :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

gumby wrote:I didn't state this in the original post (or even over on sciprogramming), but your entry will need to be an exported SCI PIC resource, so Collector is correct you will need to use one of the IDEs mentioned above.

Additonally, for those interested and have not used either SCI Studio or SCI Companion before, I really have to recommend using SCI Companion for this project. I think most users will find it easier & more stable to use. Of course, it's up to you :)
Not that I have the time, despite my immense desire to give this a swing, but where would one get SCI Companion and such?
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

Great question, you can get both Companion & Studio here:

http://sciwiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php ... vironments
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

I've created an combined 'map' of the beginning of KQ2 (7 x 7 room grid) so you all can see what has been done and what still remains to be completed. You can find it here:

http://sciprogramming.com/community/ind ... ml#msg3964

I'll have all the remaining room maps done up similarly in the next few days.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Anyone have save games from KQ2? They could help a lot.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

Okay, this competition has officially started. For all those interested, please head over to sciprogramming and indicate which room(s) you'd like to rework. Hope to see some of you over there, the link is below:

http://sciprogramming.com/community/ind ... ml#msg3952

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”