need help with first person in Mask of Eternity

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
charliebird
Noob

need help with first person in Mask of Eternity

Post by charliebird »

How do i switch to first person mode in the Mask of Eternity

Thank You
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: need help with first person in Mask of Eternity

Post by Collector »

F2
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

charliebird
Noob

Post by charliebird »

I went into 1st person mode after getting the axe but it still freezes on me when coming out, i'm on xp
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Did you use the installer from here?

Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

The installer doesn't fix the freezing cut scenes, Collector. At least not the one of the arms dealer in the Realm of the Gnomes and the Barren Region (not sure about the ax one since I didn't have a lockup there, but that could have been coincidence). I just saved the game before entering those three cut scenes and closed, restarted and restored until it got past it without freezing. Sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesn't. Luckily there's only 3 scenes where this occurs, but the arms dealer in the Barren Region appears to be the most resilient one to get past.

Edit: I eventually got past all of them in third person by the way.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
charliebird
Noob

Post by charliebird »

I went in and set the compatibility mode to windows 95 and that seemed to work, hopefully it works for the rest of the game
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

You can still get lockups, but the patches do help. Without them, on Win7 it locks during the Ax scene near 100% of the time. Now it it rarely does anywhere. Mind you, I have not really tested them on XP as I had already given up on XP by the time that Aroenai created the patches. I have never encountered the arms dealer lockup on Win7 with or without the patch. That is the thing with the lockups is that it is very inconsistent. There are some places that some have experienced them that I never did on any of my machines, but the millhouse was to most predictable for me.

Aroenai
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Aroenai »

Rudy wrote:The installer doesn't fix the freezing cut scenes, Collector. At least not the one of the arms dealer in the Realm of the Gnomes and the Barren Region (not sure about the ax one since I didn't have a lockup there, but that could have been coincidence). I just saved the game before entering those three cut scenes and closed, restarted and restored until it got past it without freezing. Sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesn't. Luckily there's only 3 scenes where this occurs, but the arms dealer in the Barren Region appears to be the most resilient one to get past.
Trust me, I spent enough time watching this scene over and over again to get the timing correct using cues instead of the TalkComplete tests the game normally relies on. If you got a lockup here, the patch was either not copied correctly or you came back after they were all sold out (I didn't bother with that section of the script since I was burned out watching this scene again and again in English and French to get the different timings correct; the French patches aren't included in Collector's installer btw) These patches are just very nasty workarounds until we can get someone with better disassembly skills; the game can actually hang on any script that relies on a TalkComplete test to continue. I've had the game lock up on me right at the start before you get control of Conner, the lady of the lake, the first conversation with the wizard, henchman and the ax, the 3 merchant gnomes, and the weirdling's tent. The script patches included are for the ax, the 3 merchant gnomes, crafting the pike, and the weirdling's tent.

If you're really unlucky, you can get screwed out of some experience points because of this same bug with the TalkComplete tests. It'd be impractical to rewrite each script to avoid the bug and the timing would be unique to that particular audio language (if I remember right there are 5 audio languages: English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. The Brazilian Portuguese version uses the English audio with subtitles and has the item descriptions removed since there are no subtitles displayed for those lines).

Return to “The King's Quest Series”