Favorite Gabriel Knight Game - Why?

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Favorite Gabriel Knight Game - Why?

Post by Tawmis »

I guess that may be part of it - with the Knights Templars and all of that - nothing is really KNOWN - so it all felt so ... iffy - because there's so many different takes on it. Again, I can't emphasize enough - I _do_ love GK3. I just think that if I were to pick a least - it'd be GK3 - because it lacked elements I had come to love in GK1 and GK2.

I don't think there's actually a single Sierra game (for the classics) that I disliked.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I love all of the Gabriel Knight games. It's a hard pick between favorites just because each game has a great detailed story and it's own unique strengths, but I think I'd go with "Sins of the Fathers" as my favorite, if only for the music, the Schattenjager origin story, and the sense of nostalgia that comes with it for me.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:I love all of the Gabriel Knight games. It's a hard pick between favorites just because each game has a great detailed story and it's own unique strengths, but I think I'd go with "Sins of the Fathers" as my favorite, if only for the music, the Schattenjager origin story, and the sense of nostalgia that comes with it for me.
Interesting. So you think the music in GK1 is better than GK2? I am not saying you're wrong - just amazed. :)

GK1 is also my favorite of the series (but I can't help but think that the music of GK2 is some of the best music Sierra ever made for a game).
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I'm pretty fond of GK2's music as well. It definitely had a more cinematic feel to it, and I love the opera they included.

What I think stood out for GK1 was the memorable hooks in every other scene. The main theme, St. George's Books - even "When the Saints come Marching In" tends to get stuck in my head whenever I walk through a park filled with people.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Datadog wrote:[...] even "When the Saints come Marching In" tends to get stuck in my head whenever I walk through a park filled with people.
This happens to me too, sometimes! :D
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

I liked GK2 because it was similar to Kq7 where you used 2 characters to help tell the story. and I like the FMV style that it had. But I liked GK1 story better than GK2 because of the Voodoo theme it had. Never played GK3 but I own it and I will play it sometime in the future.
FREEZE SCUM!!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Fender_178 wrote:I liked GK2 because it was similar to Kq7 where you used 2 characters to help tell the story. and I like the FMV style that it had. But I liked GK1 story better than GK2 because of the Voodoo theme it had. Never played GK3 but I own it and I will play it sometime in the future.
Definitely play GK3. :) Despite what I said about it's my least favorite of the three - I can't emphasize enough I still love the game and would recommend it to anyone - especially if you're already familiar with GK.

Besides, we could use more input and thoughts about GK3 on here!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Even the worst Gabriel Knight game is pretty darn good. : )

What took me out of it was how insanely large the sets were in GK3. I could be gliding that camera around the game for an hour before I discovered some other nook or cranny I missed the first time around. Otherwise, I like a lot of the puzzles and when "The Da Vinci Code" came out, I was telling everyone that Gabriel Knight beat the author to the punch.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:when "The Da Vinci Code" came out, I was telling everyone that Gabriel Knight beat the author to the punch.
We're in the same boat. When I heard about the book - all I could say was, "So ... did this author play Gabriel Knight?"

While it wasn't the first time (GK3 that is) that this type of theory had come out... it's the one I was obviously most exposed to.
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

AndreaDraco83 wrote:Damn no! They never arrived here in Italy, and I'm currently searching for a good offer on eBay or Amazon :)
If that's about the novel of TBW, then I suggest snatching up a copy whenever you see a fairly cheap one. I remember I got mine...2 years or so ago for $17 in, what I would consider, great condition. A week after I got it the cheapest was $35, so I lucked out.

Anyway, it's a fantastic read, and it just brings out the amazing story in an equally amazing way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 419&sr=8-2

Right now they range from $17.80 to $53.98.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Tawmis wrote: We're in the same boat. When I heard about the book - all I could say was, "So ... did this author play Gabriel Knight?"
That was exactly my reaction! ;)
Let's also say that Jane Jensen script is much, much more adherent to the (at least "supposed") history of the region, as recounted in prestigious essays like "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". On the contrary, Dan Brown's novel is just a confused hotchpotch of different and incoherent theories about the subjects.
JasefWisener wrote: Right now they range from $17.80 to $53.98.
Yes. I see! I should definitely keep an eye on that! ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco83 wrote: Let's also say that Jane Jensen script is much, much more adherent to the (at least "supposed") history of the region, as recounted in prestigious essays like "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". On the contrary, Dan Brown's novel is just a confused hotchpotch of different and incoherent theories about the subjects.
I've not read the novel - only seen the movie - so I wouldn't know. :)
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Tawmis wrote:
AndreaDraco83 wrote: Let's also say that Jane Jensen script is much, much more adherent to the (at least "supposed") history of the region, as recounted in prestigious essays like "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". On the contrary, Dan Brown's novel is just a confused hotchpotch of different and incoherent theories about the subjects.
I've not read the novel - only seen the movie - so I wouldn't know. :)
I haven't read The Da Vinci Code novel (just seen the movie....which I don't think was that great personally), but I've had an interest in reading it for the past couple of years.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Spare yourself, Tawmis and Jasef. If the movie was horrible, the novel really is dreadful.

On the subject, there are a couple of very good essays and, of course, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" is a fantastic reading!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The wife read and liked the book - even read the other one that followed.

Not my kidding of reading, anyway. I am more the fantasy type.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”