A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Re: New "Sierra" intro at Sierra.com...

Post by audiodane »

Ooooohhhhhh, well that makes sense, huh? :oops:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

audiodane wrote:Whoa!!!! I was totally unaware of this until just checking the forums here today.. this is so cool! I understand cautious optimism and all, but I'm certainly excited. And I forget who said it (I didnt' hit "quote"), but yes, I suspect this forum will begin getting more traffic again soon.. :)
misslilo wrote:Hey guys!! Long time no see :)
I'm now known as "wowdane"
Can I ask where the tag comes from? just curious.. from one ..dane to another!

..dane
The "Location: Land of Hamlet" kinda gives it away.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

adeyke wrote:The difference is the Mario and Mickey Mouse were actively used as mascots for their respective brands for many years (up until the present). Mario has appeared in around 200 games. If you watched children's entertainment or played Nintendo games, it's basically inevitable that you'd become familiar with Mickey Mouse or Mario, respectively.

King Graham isn't like that. Almost all exposure to Graham would come from playing his three games (or in the Crazy Nick's game, which is something only someone invested in the King's Quest franchise would see). He did have some other appearances (as easter eggs or in the Hoyle games), but there he was treated as just one Sierra character among many.

Graham's claim to fame is mainly a historical one. KQ1 is a significant game, and Graham starred in it. He just doesn't have any ongoing cultural relevance. It's like if Nintendo had stopped after Super Mario Bros. and had Disney had stopped after Steamboat Willie.
Reminds me, I loved to play cards with Graham, Laura and Roger.
audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Post by audiodane »

Collector wrote:The "Location: Land of Hamlet" kinda gives it away.
I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed.. :)
Gooey98
Noob

Post by Gooey98 »

My only exposure to King's Quest comes from my Grandpa, who is a big fan of the series. I've played 1-5, which means I haven't played 3 of the non-Graham games.
With that said, I would still agree that Graham is the most significant character of the series.
With regards to its relevance to modern gamers, I'll point out that I know 5 or 6 "geeky" kids about my age, 15-17, who knew what King's Quest V was before I had ever mentioned it. I think this is largely due to the number of youtube videos of the game. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that younger gamers have at least some idea of what King's Quest is, so it should be familiar to them.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”