KQ4 Copy Protection

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

KQ4 Copy Protection

Post by Fender_178 »

Hey Collector,
Um I was wondering what did you do in your installer for the KQ Collections that got rid of the manual based Copy Protection for KQ4? because I would like to apply it to the GOG version of the game.
FREEZE SCUM!!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: KQ4 Copy Protection

Post by Tawmis »

Fender_178 wrote:Hey Collector,
Um I was wondering what did you do in your installer for the KQ Collections that got rid of the manual based Copy Protection for KQ4? because I would like to apply it to the GOG version of the game.
Doesn't the GoG version come with the PDF of the manual? Or you looking to wipe it out completely? I am not sure Collector's installers did anything; chances are it was simply removed in production on the KQ Collection?
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

Tawmis wrote:
Fender_178 wrote:Hey Collector,
Doesn't the GoG version come with the PDF of the manual? Or you looking to wipe it out completely? I am not sure Collector's installers did anything; chances are it was simply removed in production on the KQ Collection?
It does come with a pdf manual I am trying to wipe it out completely if possible. If not then no big deal. When I load KQ4 that was installed using Collector's installer from the collection it just skips the Copy protection and goes straight to the Sierra Splash screen. While having KQ4 installed from GOG it asks for the copy protection which makes me think that something got modified to disable the Copy Protection. I remember installing the 2006 collection normally and KQ4 had the Copy protection screen and also that collection came with a PDF manual as well.
FREEZE SCUM!!
envisge0ne
Sierra Veteran

Post by envisge0ne »

Where did you get the KQ4 that skips the copy protection? The installer from Collector wouldn't rewrite the code to remove it. It copies DOSBox if you need it, and then copies the game files to your hard drive
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

I don't know. Any time that I use Collector's installer for either the KQ Collection 2 from 1997 or the 2006 version to install the games and when I load KQ4 up it just bypasses the Copy Protection and just goes to the Sierra Splash screen with the Copyright of 1988. I don't think he removed the Copy Protection I think he did something that bypasses it.
FREEZE SCUM!!
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It's rather easy to bypass it like that if you know how. I didn't think Collector did that in his installer, though.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:It's rather easy to bypass it like that if you know how. I didn't think Collector did that in his installer, though.
Yeah he did. He sent me a PM on how he did it.
FREEZE SCUM!!
Aroenai
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Aroenai »

Well, how someone did it... though the manual cheat sheet included with the 1997 edition was flat out wrong to begin with so I'm not losing any sleep.
Warmage
Noob

Post by Warmage »

Sierrachest.com has some pdf files of the original documentation.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Warmage wrote:Sierrachest.com has some pdf files of the original documentation.
Yes, the original copy protection has been widely distributed these days.

Return to “The King's Quest Series”