Star Wars: Rogue One [Spoilers Within]

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Star Wars: Rogue One [Spoilers Within]

Post by Tawmis »

Figured I'd start a thread... anyone else seen Star Wars: Rogue One and what are your thoughts? Throwing a spoiling warning in the topic header, because if anyone else cares to discuss it, I am all for going spoiler deep into this.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One [Spoilers Within]

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm sorry, Tawmis - I haven't seen this, nor do I have any intention to. I've never been a big fan of Star Wars, and even less so now that Disney's taken it over.

Sorry that I don't have much to say, but I didn't want you to feel like I was ignoring your thread. :oops:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:I'm sorry, Tawmis - I haven't seen this, nor do I have any intention to. I've never been a big fan of Star Wars, and even less so now that Disney's taken it over.
Sorry that I don't have much to say, but I didn't want you to feel like I was ignoring your thread. :oops:
That's okay. I think DPX was really the only other SW fan (because MusicallyInspired, also) - but neither of them really come here more.

But I do have to ask...

You're not a fan of SW... but less so since Disney took over?

How has Disney impacted SW for you?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Because... *sigh* Well, I've seen snippets of Star Wars here and there online, as well as snippets of fan-made videos and parodies, etc. The other night, I turned on the TV and was just in time to catch one the SW films - I forget which one - and I figured "What the hell, let's have a look." I think it was the scene in which Anakin is burned in lava (I think?) and becomes Darth Vader.

Because of this, the Star Wars films have always struck me as something that was suitable for adults (or, at least, teenagers). So the Disneyfication of the franchise is, to me, very incongruous. It's like putting on a three-piece-suit and tie, complete with a little rose in your buttonhole, and then going to eat at McDonald's. :P

I won't even get into how George Lucas ran the franchise into the ground, with the endless merchandising and the endless "specials" and remastering the old films in ultra-super-3D or whatever. And Jar-Jar! *shudder* I don't even want to think about Jar-Jar.

So in conclusion (or should it be "in confusion"? ;)), I know that George has already kiddy-fied the original beyond recognition, and I believe that Disney will do so even more... and that's a shame. :(

After all, Disney are already doing the same to Monkey Island... they're completely ignoring what they have on their hands there. OTOH, if they ever do anything with it... I shudder to think what they'll come up with, but I can imagine. Guybrush and LeChuck locked in mortal battle, and suddenly Donald Duck rushes in and shouts incomprehensibly at them. Sigh. :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Because... *sigh* Well, I've seen snippets of Star Wars here and there online, as well as snippets of fan-made videos and parodies, etc. The other night, I turned on the TV and was just in time to catch one the SW films - I forget which one - and I figured "What the hell, let's have a look." I think it was the scene in which Anakin is burned in lava (I think?) and becomes Darth Vader.
Because of this, the Star Wars films have always struck me as something that was suitable for adults (or, at least, teenagers). So the Disneyfication of the franchise is, to me, very incongruous. It's like putting on a three-piece-suit and tie, complete with a little rose in your buttonhole, and then going to eat at McDonald's. :P
I won't even get into how George Lucas ran the franchise into the ground, with the endless merchandising and the endless "specials" and remastering the old films in ultra-super-3D or whatever. And Jar-Jar! *shudder* I don't even want to think about Jar-Jar.
So in conclusion (or should it be "in confusion"? ;)), I know that George has already kiddy-fied the original beyond recognition, and I believe that Disney will do so even more... and that's a shame. :(
After all, Disney are already doing the same to Monkey Island... they're completely ignoring what they have on their hands there. OTOH, if they ever do anything with it... I shudder to think what they'll come up with, but I can imagine. Guybrush and LeChuck locked in mortal battle, and suddenly Donald Duck rushes in and shouts incomprehensibly at them. Sigh. :(
Well, the one where Anakin is burned by lava is pre-Disney.... That's all George Lucas with the prequels (Episode I, II and III - the lava burning happening in Episode III). And if you think Disney is going to "kidify" Star Wars... you would be surprised if you saw Rogue One...

If you're so inclined... Spoilers ahead for Rogue One...

Minor Spoiler...

Rogue One shows that the morally superior "Rebels" we know and love from Episode IV, V and VI, are actually pretty brutal, and go as far as murder, to get their agenda done.

Minor Spoiler...

The Darth Vader scene - unleashes Darth Vader as we've never seen him before. He doesn't just force choke and kill a rebel - he is seen literally cutting them down.

And MAJOR spoiler - do not look unless you want this REALLY spoiled. You. Have. Been. Warned.

All the heroes die. All of them. The girl. The guy. The funny robot. Every. Single. Hero. Dies.

So... if you think Disney is going to make it more "kid friendly" than George Lucas did (when he created the horrid prequels)... You're in for a rude surprise with Rogue One.

Mind you, I am not trying to change your mind or view on Star Wars, just saying if you think it's going to be more kid friendly... Rogue One was anything but that.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK, then... I'm (pleasantly) surprised. I don't know what to think about that, then! :|

Has Disney said anything about what it's going to do with the Monkey Island series? Will anything be done? After all, it's been 6 years since the last Monkey Island game (the one by Telltale)...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Has Disney said anything about what it's going to do with the Monkey Island series? Will anything be done? After all, it's been 6 years since the last Monkey Island game (the one by Telltale)...
I don't think they're going to do anything with it... if it's not a big merchandise (aka: a movie), they probably won't touch it.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Star Wars is awesome. Episode 7 is awesome. Rogue One is awesome. Don't judge something before you experience it yourself. Disney owns Lucasfilm now, yes, but they're more hands off on what Lucasfilm chooses to do than you think. And honestly, Star Wars is better off without George Lucas (who ALWAYS saw Star Wars as a kiddy series, which is why 80% of the prequels suck).

Also, The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series are awesome.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Star Wars is awesome. Episode 7 is awesome. Rogue One is awesome. Don't judge something before you experience it yourself. Disney owns Lucasfilm now, yes, but they're more hands off on what Lucasfilm chooses to do than you think. And honestly, Star Wars is better off without George Lucas (who ALWAYS saw Star Wars as a kiddy series, which is why 80% of the prequels suck).

Also, The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series are awesome.
I know you're a super avid Star Wars fan (wouldn't say "fan boy" - who thinks everything is SUPER GREAT!) - but what did you think of the original prequels (EP I, II and III)?
el_pombo
Sierra Obsessed

Post by el_pombo »

I have just seen the movie and I think that, by far, this is the best Star Wars movie ever made. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I watched episodes IV, V and VI regularly as a teenager. Episodes I, II and III are an unpleasant memory, as for episode VII... I'll never forgive them for murdering Han Solo (my favorite character).

The only thing I didn't like in the movie was the forced jokes hammered in the script at the request of Disney - suuuuure... the rebels would never let the destruction of an entire city get in the way of good laugh - but, apart from that, the movie had great rhythm right from the beginning and the ending was absolutely superb! No "happy ending" in the conventional sense, they were all martyrs against oppression, the scene were they were passing the disk to each other while being slayed by Darth Vader, sacrificing themselves for a chance to defeat the empire and end injustice even got me emotional. The final combat was great, with all sorts of things happening, I think that whole scene somewhat hinted a subliminal connection between the empire and nowadays imperialist and military agenda of some countries and between the rebels and the forces that resist them. I loved the ester eggs throughout the movie, at least the ones I caught!

What a great movie... the original editing was probably even better!
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Everyone keeps saying that Disney forced changes. That's simply not true. Lucasfilm made those changes. And I thought the humour was great. Humour's always been in Star Wars, not just since Disney bought Lucasfilm.
Tawmis wrote:I know you're a super avid Star Wars fan (wouldn't say "fan boy" - who thinks everything is SUPER GREAT!) - but what did you think of the original prequels (EP I, II and III)?
MusicallyInspired wrote:And honestly, Star Wars is better off without George Lucas (who ALWAYS saw Star Wars as a kiddy series, which is why 80% of the prequels suck).
To go into more detail, the prequels are a travesty. I enjoyed Ep1 to a certain degree. Felt like a great adventure. I was ok with the much lighter tone since things were only just beginning to go dark anyway. Jar Jar didn't bother me as much as others, but he is a pain. I liked the pod racing. I also think the duel with Darth Maul is the best and most engaging and tense duel (choreography-wise) in the whole saga. None of the other prequel duels are any good at all, though.

There is nothing redeemable about Episode 2. What an awful awful movie. The pacing was completely off, the story disjointed, rushed, and ham-fisted. Count Dooku (besides being an incredibly stupid name) was not intimidating and had no build up whatsoever. We were just supposed to accept that he was the new bad guy like he was always there from the beginning. Christopher Lee is fantastic, but Maul should have been the bad guy throughout the prequels. At least for the first two episodes, though. I was way more impressed with him. I'm glad The Clone Wars and Rebels brought him back. And who was Master Sifo-Dyas? He should have been in Episode 1 it would have made way more sense. Then there is the incredibly god-awful dialogue between Padme and Anakin. I don't need to go into that. Actually no, I will. Hayden's acting was sabotaged by George's grubby micro-managing talentless directing fingers telling him how to say and deliver lines in ways that, in my opinion, were so bad that it ruined Hayden's career. Oh, and of course pinball machine Yoda with a lightsaber. *yawn* The great Jedi battle at the end was also underwhelming. There's something about the lightsaber sounds in these movies that just doesn't do it for me. In the original trilogy the clash sounds were very visceral and obvious. In the prequels they're just these random electronic sounds that have not "oopmh" or power to them when their strikes land. Disappointing.

Episode III is a little better...but only the last half. The first have is cheese-city. And again, none of the lightsaber battles do anything for me. The whole Mustafar duel was simply ridiculous and way way over the top. It didn't need to be like that. I'd rather have settled for a straight duel in one room that could have had way more impact. There's way more emotional charge in the final duel in Return of the Jedi than anything here. Google "Obi/Ani Spin" for a perfect representation of my thoughts on the prequel duels (sans Ep1's). The last half of the movie though is wonderfully dark and almost even gets to ROTJ-finale levels of emotional.....but Darth Vader's "Nooooooooooo" completely ruins it all. Another example of George's horrible horrible ideas.

George Lucas is very bad for Star Wars and I'm so glad that he's finally gone and has no control anymore. After all, it took a team of talented people to realize (and heavily reign in) George's original very outlandish and bizarre vision of what Star Wars was. When he had the reigns all to himself for the prequels he proved just how terrible he is at everything. He's a good idea man, but he needs other people to reign him in to get the best out of him.

Also, I don't think it helped the prequels any, but you have to love Obi-Wan's one-liners. I don't think they're fitting for Obi-Wan's character or that they do Star Wars any favours in any way, but Ewan's deliveries are just fun to watch.

So, yeah. The prequels suck.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

el_pombo wrote: I have just seen the movie and I think that, by far, this is the best Star Wars movie ever made. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I watched episodes IV, V and VI regularly as a teenager. Episodes I, II and III are an unpleasant memory, as for episode VII... I'll never forgive them for murdering Han Solo (my favorite character).
It's very, very, very, good - but the best? I'd disagree. And I think, solely, because these characters were all only in one movie (the main "heroes"). While others like Luke, Leia, Solo, even Lando, got more development by being in multiple movies.
el_pombo wrote: The only thing I didn't like in the movie was the forced jokes hammered in the script at the request of Disney - suuuuure... the rebels would never let the destruction of an entire city get in the way of good laugh - but, apart from that, the movie had great rhythm right from the beginning and the ending was absolutely superb! No "happy ending" in the conventional sense, they were all martyrs against oppression, the scene were they were passing the disk to each other while being slayed by Darth Vader, sacrificing themselves for a chance to defeat the empire and end injustice even got me emotional. The final combat was great, with all sorts of things happening, I think that whole scene somewhat hinted a subliminal connection between the empire and nowadays imperialist and military agenda of some countries and between the rebels and the forces that resist them. I loved the ester eggs throughout the movie, at least the ones I caught!
I am with MusicallyInspired on this; I actually had no problem with any of the humor.
MusicallyInspired wrote: Everyone keeps saying that Disney forced changes. That's simply not true. Lucasfilm made those changes. And I thought the humour was great. Humour's always been in Star Wars, not just since Disney bought Lucasfilm.
Well, to be fair, we don't know if Disney did enforce changes. :) But I doubt that they did. :)

MusicallyInspired wrote: And honestly, Star Wars is better off without George Lucas (who ALWAYS saw Star Wars as a kiddy series, which is why 80% of the prequels suck).
I think he intended the original (IV, V, VI) to be what they are - a space opera. But as he got older, adopted a metric ton of children, he probably changed what he envisioned for Episodes I, II and III - and wanted to make a film his kids could enjoy.

Because it's hard to say that Star Wars is better off without George Lucas, because without him, there'd be no Star Wars at all.
MusicallyInspired wrote: To go into more detail, the prequels are a travesty. I enjoyed Ep1 to a certain degree. Felt like a great adventure. I was ok with the much lighter tone since things were only just beginning to go dark anyway. Jar Jar didn't bother me as much as others, but he is a pain. I liked the pod racing. I also think the duel with Darth Maul is the best and most engaging and tense duel (choreography-wise) in the whole saga. None of the other prequel duels are any good at all, though.
See, Episode I is the one I hated the most (of all the Star Wars movies). I think they missed the mark more than several times. Jake Loyd felt extremely stiff (even for a "kid actor" - if Stranger Things has taught me anything, is that there's kids out there that are young, and can act!) I felt that whole connection between him and Natalie Portman had little _no_ chemistry what so ever. It was painful. I also think that Liam should have been Obi-Wan (being older, it would have logically made sense to see the progression from there, to how Ben looks in Episode IV). Should have been Ewan who was Qui-Gon. In the short time Liam was Qui-Gon he over shadowed Ewan's performance by far. And while the lightsabre fight with Darth Maul was amazing; I have never been a fan of the double lightsabre. (Even now, I don't like it - and I was one of the people, before the movie who didn't like Kylo's three prong, but for that I've changed my tune). The podracing was cool - but felt so utterly out of place. (And Episode 1 has one of the WORSE lines in Star Wars history - "I don't care what planet you're from, that's gotta hurt!" ... which is on par with one of the worse lines in movie history, from the X-Men when Storm says, "Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? ..... The same thing as everything else!") :roll:
MusicallyInspired wrote: There is nothing redeemable about Episode 2. What an awful awful movie. The pacing was completely off, the story disjointed, rushed, and ham-fisted. Count Dooku (besides being an incredibly stupid name) was not intimidating and had no build up whatsoever. We were just supposed to accept that he was the new bad guy like he was always there from the beginning. Christopher Lee is fantastic, but Maul should have been the bad guy throughout the prequels. At least for the first two episodes, though. I was way more impressed with him. I'm glad The Clone Wars and Rebels brought him back. And who was Master Sifo-Dyas? He should have been in Episode 1 it would have made way more sense. Then there is the incredibly god-awful dialogue between Padme and Anakin. I don't need to go into that. Actually no, I will. Hayden's acting was sabotaged by George's grubby micro-managing talentless directing fingers telling him how to say and deliver lines in ways that, in my opinion, were so bad that it ruined Hayden's career. Oh, and of course pinball machine Yoda with a lightsaber. *yawn* The great Jedi battle at the end was also underwhelming. There's something about the lightsaber sounds in these movies that just doesn't do it for me. In the original trilogy the clash sounds were very visceral and obvious. In the prequels they're just these random electronic sounds that have not "oopmh" or power to them when their strikes land. Disappointing.
Heh - so hold on - Count Dooku has a incredibly stupid name? But you're okay with "Han Solo"? :lol: I had no problem with Dooku's name (it fit the unusual sounding Star Wars names that a lot of characters had... except, you know, "Luke Skywalker" who has a regular first name, and two English words combined for a last name... no one else has such a simple name...) I do agree, that they killed Darth Maul way too soon (like I think they killed Liam's character too soon). I don't think at the time, they realized what they had on their hands. While I didn't like Darth Maul's dual lightsabre, he looked intimidating, and felt like there was way more to his story that needed to be told. But his death was at least pretty good - Boba Fett, the most feared (and most liked) Bounty Hunter screamed like a girl, when his jet went off and he slammed into Jabba's barge down into the Sarlaac Pit... :roll:

It's interesting you liked the Darth Maul fight, but disliked the Yoda one. (Mind you, I hated the Yoda fight; I actually enjoy the original type fight, where the lightsabres were treated like lethal two handed swords, rather than super light sticks)...
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Tawmis wrote:I think he intended the original (IV, V, VI) to be what they are - a space opera. But as he got older, adopted a metric ton of children, he probably changed what he envisioned for Episodes I, II and III - and wanted to make a film his kids could enjoy.

Because it's hard to say that Star Wars is better off without George Lucas, because without him, there'd be no Star Wars at all.
Yes, but do you know what his original pitch for Star Wars was before his talented team reigned him in and made things far more relatable? It was bizarre, man. It was classic George Lucas weird. The original trilogy was not the brainchild of just one man. That's just what marketing and license ownership will tell you. The OT also was benefited by being directed by people other than George. He only directed ANH and I consider it (while good) definitely the lowest ranking title in the OT.
See, Episode I is the one I hated the most (of all the Star Wars movies). I think they missed the mark more than several times. Jake Loyd felt extremely stiff (even for a "kid actor"
Jake Loyd may have been off, but he had WAY more personality than Hayden's portrayal did. Way more energy and I'd even say believability as a child. I distinctly remember watching Episode 2 for the first time and going "...wha? Is this supposed to be the same character? Really? How did they let this pass?" I'll agree with the chemistry between he and Natalie, though. Actually, the chemistry throughout the prequels was way off. Such a stark contrast to the OT which had such excellent star-aligning chemistry.
In the short time Liam was Qui-Gon he over shadowed Ewan's performance by far.
I can agree with that. Ewan really did much better in Ep2 and Ep3. He's one of the only two things great about the entire trilogy. The other is Ian McDiarmid, whom the only issue I have is with him being just slightly too goofy when he went full-on crazy in Ep3. I mean, Palpatine is psycho crazy, but there were just a couple little details in his portrayal that I think went just the slightest bit too far into goofy territory. But that's ok. I can totally overlook that.
And while the lightsabre fight with Darth Maul was amazing; I have never been a fan of the double lightsabre.
When it first came out I thought it was really cool, and my friend and I wanted to film our own lightsaber duel and put effects on it with Adobe tools (never completed it but the duel was fun to practice). Anyway, in that duel I had a double bladed saber myself. I don't so much like it now of course and wouldn't want one, but it's just so cool to watch that it doesn't bother me. I can be ok with it existing.

One thing that bothered me about Ep2 was that I was expecting the final duel to have someone fighting with two sabers. And then it happened! And I got all excited! But Dooku landed 3 or 4 blows and then he lost it after about three seconds......sigh....
"I don't care what planet you're from, that's gotta hurt!" ... which is on par with one of the worse lines in movie history, from the X-Men when Storm says, "Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? ..... The same thing as everything else!") :roll:
Yeah, that's just "prequel corniness". It's embedded everywhere. It's rooted into its DNA and impossible to remove. Even in the good parts. The only ones I forgive are Ewan's one-liners because they are so fun and he delivers them so fantastically and sarcastically (even if that is a complete character clash with Alec Guiness's portrayal in the OT). You can't not love them. I can't anyway. And I tried. Especially on "Another happy landing!"
Heh - so hold on - Count Dooku has a incredibly stupid name? But you're okay with "Han Solo"? :lol: I had no problem with Dooku's name
Out of all the weird Star Wars names I've heard, that is the dumbest sounding one ever. It doesn't sound threatening or intimidating. "Dooku." It sounds like a baby trying to talk. I'd rather he'd have been called after his Sith Lord name "Darth Tyranus". At least that had some bite to it, but then if he was that would have messed up the plot (nobody was supposed to know he was Tyranus).
(it fit the unusual sounding Star Wars names that a lot of characters had... except, you know, "Luke Skywalker" who has a regular first name, and two English words combined for a last name... no one else has such a simple name...)
You're forgetting his best friend "Biggs Darklighter" (yes, that is his canon name).
It's interesting you liked the Darth Maul fight, but disliked the Yoda one.
What, Count Dooku (hate that stupid stupid sounding name) swinging a saber awkwardly at emptiness at his feet and then swinging through the air at nothing that was later replaced by a green CG basketball with a glowstick? Talk about a major suspension of disbelief failure. How does that compare to Ray Park's incredible martial arts training let loose on two experienced Jedi? I think a lot of the greatness of the Maul duel was how it was edited together, compared to Ep2 and Ep3's duels which just weren't.
(Mind you, I hated the Yoda fight; I actually enjoy the original type fight, where the lightsabres were treated like lethal two handed swords, rather than super light sticks)...
Yes, me too. Ep1 did the acrobatics fighting well, but after that I don't know...they must have just tried going bigger and crazier after already hitting the epitome and just made it end up looking silly and ridiculous. That's why I'm super glad they went back to marginally skillful raw hacking and slashing in Ep7. Really looking forward to Ep8. I don't mind if they use one hand, though. Rogue One spoiler: That finale sequence with Vader demolishing those rebels was absolutely everything I wanted to see.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:
See, Episode I is the one I hated the most (of all the Star Wars movies). I think they missed the mark more than several times. Jake Loyd felt extremely stiff (even for a "kid actor"
Jake Loyd may have been off, but he had WAY more personality than Hayden's portrayal did. Way more energy and I'd even say believability as a child. I distinctly remember watching Episode 2 for the first time and going "...wha? Is this supposed to be the same character? Really? How did they let this pass?" I'll agree with the chemistry between he and Natalie, though. Actually, the chemistry throughout the prequels was way off. Such a stark contrast to the OT which had such excellent star-aligning chemistry.
But at least we saw an influx of emotion from Hayden. He smiled at times, and at times, he got super angry, frustrated, aggressive. Jake Loyd? A cardboard box.
MusicallyInspired wrote:
In the short time Liam was Qui-Gon he over shadowed Ewan's performance by far.
I can agree with that. Ewan really did much better in Ep2 and Ep3. He's one of the only two things great about the entire trilogy. The other is Ian McDiarmid, whom the only issue I have is with him being just slightly too goofy when he went full-on crazy in Ep3. I mean, Palpatine is psycho crazy, but there were just a couple little details in his portrayal that I think went just the slightest bit too far into goofy territory. But that's ok. I can totally overlook that.
I agree. After Episode 01, Ewan was the entire series. He was all that I cared about.
MusicallyInspired wrote:
And while the lightsabre fight with Darth Maul was amazing; I have never been a fan of the double lightsabre.
When it first came out I thought it was really cool, and my friend and I wanted to film our own lightsaber duel and put effects on it with Adobe tools (never completed it but the duel was fun to practice).
To projects never completed... (pour a drink on the ground)...
MusicallyInspired wrote: Anyway, in that duel I had a double bladed saber myself. I don't so much like it now of course and wouldn't want one, but it's just so cool to watch that it doesn't bother me. I can be ok with it existing.
One thing that bothered me about Ep2 was that I was expecting the final duel to have someone fighting with two sabers. And then it happened! And I got all excited! But Dooku landed 3 or 4 blows and then he lost it after about three seconds......sigh....
I think the problem is - the Darth Maul fight (even with me hating the double light sabre) was - hands down - the best fight in the prequels. (Which, again, I don't think they realized what they had with Darth Maul, and killed him off way too soon... he should have been the final fight...)
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Heh - so hold on - Count Dooku has a incredibly stupid name? But you're okay with "Han Solo"? :lol: I had no problem with Dooku's name
Out of all the weird Star Wars names I've heard, that is the dumbest sounding one ever. It doesn't sound threatening or intimidating. "Dooku." It sounds like a baby trying to talk. I'd rather he'd have been called after his Sith Lord name "Darth Tyranus". At least that had some bite to it, but then if he was that would have messed up the plot (nobody was supposed to know he was Tyranus).
Well, I think that's part of it, right? He's supposed to have a "passive" name, to hide his secret. If his name was Count Killu, everyone would probably know... :lol:
MusicallyInspired wrote:Rogue One spoiler: That finale sequence with Vader demolishing those rebels was absolutely everything I wanted to see.
Oh. Heck. Yes. :)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Tawmis wrote:But at least we saw an influx of emotion from Hayden. He smiled at times, and at times, he got super angry, frustrated, aggressive. Jake Loyd? A cardboard box.
Ehh....they were both different kinds of cardboard boxes. Jake's facial expressions may not have changed much, but he sure had way more passion and inflection in his voice than Hayden, who sounded like he was mumbling all the time. When I saw Hayden all I could see was an actor reciting lines. There was nothing real about any of it. Even his angry lines when he was shouting felt like that, and in those instances he just sounded like a whiny child. I felt no sympathy for the character in any moment. The only time I did was when Anakin left his mother in Ep1.
I think the problem is - the Darth Maul fight (even with me hating the double light sabre) was - hands down - the best fight in the prequels. (Which, again, I don't think they realized what they had with Darth Maul, and killed him off way too soon... he should have been the final fight...)
Totally. I don't even think George had much of an idea at all of what he was going to be doing after Episode 1 until he started working on Episode 2. It just seems so far removed from Episode 1 entirely. Both it and Episode 3 seem to be cut from the same cloth so to speak, but both are just such a drastic departure from the world of Episode 1. The tone shift was good, but to me it was just bad in another way....in a way that made me appreciate it less than Episode 1.
Well, I think that's part of it, right? He's supposed to have a "passive" name, to hide his secret. If his name was Count Killu, everyone would probably know... :lol:
Yes, but it could have been something that sounded less like somebody's name from a toddler's TV series. Like "Vinnarro" or something I don't know. I'm not good with making good names either. He might as well have been named Count Hufflepuff or something. That's how seriously I took it.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”