Laura Bow games now on GoG.

Feeling like this game could be murder... literally? Well, come on in here for some extra detective work (and clues/hints/etc!) for the Laura Bow games (The Colonel's Bequest and The Dagger of Amon Ra).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Laura Bow games now on GoG.

Post by Tawmis »

Please see this thread, and if you purchase them, please use the URL in that thread (LB:CB and LB:DoAR), as it helps SHP.
Mostly
Sierra Obsessed

Re: Laura Bow games now on GoG.

Post by Mostly »

It's nice to see Activision releasing more Sierra games on GOG lately (hopefully they reach Steam as well). The last Sierra games they released were in mid-2012 (QfG series, Torin's Passage, Pharaoh), then there was a 4 year gap. Last spring/summer they finally started releasing older games on GOG again (Vampire: The Masquerade, Caesar IV, etc.) and also put all the existing releases on Steam.

So far this year the following games have come out on GOG:
  • SWAT IV
    Freddy Pharkas
    Caesar I + II
    Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
    The Colonel's Bequest
    The Dagger of Amon Ra
Maybe TDOSCI has had an effect. :p

Hopefully the rest of the Sierra catalog is on the way!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Mostly wrote:It's nice to see Activision releasing more Sierra games on GOG lately (hopefully they reach Steam as well). The last Sierra games they released were in mid-2012 (QfG series, Torin's Passage, Pharaoh), then there was a 4 year gap. Last spring/summer they finally started releasing older games on GOG again (Vampire: The Masquerade, Caesar IV, etc.) and also put all the existing releases on Steam.
Didn't Steam (fairly?) recently release all the SQ, PQ, KQ, etc? Or has that been there for awhile and I am just thinking of a sale they did recently with those titles?
Mostly
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Mostly »

Tawmis wrote:
Mostly wrote:It's nice to see Activision releasing more Sierra games on GOG lately (hopefully they reach Steam as well). The last Sierra games they released were in mid-2012 (QfG series, Torin's Passage, Pharaoh), then there was a 4 year gap. Last spring/summer they finally started releasing older games on GOG again (Vampire: The Masquerade, Caesar IV, etc.) and also put all the existing releases on Steam.
Didn't Steam (fairly?) recently release all the SQ, PQ, KQ, etc? Or has that been there for awhile and I am just thinking of a sale they did recently with those titles?
That was last August/September, when Activision released all the old titles that were already on GOG on Steam as well. Activision also ran a Humble Bundle for all the Sierra games at the same time (and re-ran the bundle 2 months ago). It was $20 for basically everything including the new King's Quest.

I don't know what made Activision care about these old games once again but I'm glad they do.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Mostly wrote: I don't know what made Activision care about these old games once again but I'm glad they do.
Me too. Just annoyed that Steam got ... what was it - an EGA/VGA version of... Space Quest (was it)... where as GoG's package is missing it.
Mostly
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Mostly »

Tawmis wrote:
Mostly wrote: I don't know what made Activision care about these old games once again but I'm glad they do.
Me too. Just annoyed that Steam got ... what was it - an EGA/VGA version of... Space Quest (was it)... where as GoG's package is missing it.
Ah I forgot about that. IIRC the SQ and KQ collections had been available on Steam for a few years, then the KQ collection was removed when new KQ came out before reappearing last August/September.

I had assumed that the Steam versions of all the games were the same as the GOG versions, but it's weird that SQ on GOG doesn't have the EGA version.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Mostly wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
Ah I forgot about that. IIRC the SQ and KQ collections had been available on Steam for a few years, then the KQ collection was removed when new KQ came out before reappearing last August/September. I had assumed that the Steam versions of all the games were the same as the GOG versions, but it's weird that SQ on GOG doesn't have the EGA version.
I thought that was weird too. And there's a whole thread on GOG about it. And it was the VGA remake that's missing (I can never remember). Just can't figure out why one has it and the other doesn't.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Don't forget that Steam had what was essentially the 2006 VU collections for their classic Sierra collections, meaning no AGI versions of the first games.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Steam has both remake and original of every game in each series now, so currently they've got one up on GoG. Also, being old DOS games, there is no DRM protection. You can play them without the Steam client.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Steam has both remake and original of every game in each series now, so currently they've got one up on GoG. Also, being old DOS games, there is no DRM protection. You can play them without the Steam client.
Yeah, my understanding is Steam has both Original and Remakes.

Return to “The Laura Bow Games”