Weird Mounting thing with DOSBox.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Weird Mounting thing with DOSBox.

Post by Tawmis »

What am I doing wrong? Because I know it's not DOSBox. It's something I am doing. :)

So you will see in the screen shot I am trying to mount:

c c:\users\tlogue\docume~1\person~1

And it says it can't do it.

However, if I map

c c:\users\tlogue

Then it works. Then I can CD to both docume~1 and then into person~1

It's a Windows 7 machine (if that even matters). The ONLY thing I see in common is that the paths have a space in the names (fully qualified in Windows). It's not a big deal at all, obviously. I just CD into those two directories and then launch the game I want to launch.

Here's the screen shot:
Attachments
Mount me, baby!
Mount me, baby!
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Re: Weird Mounting thing with DOSBox.

Post by Qbix »

use the full "long" foldername while mounting

Code: Select all

mount c "c:\users\tlogue\documents and settings\personal folder"
(replace document and settings and personal folder with the correct names)
The shortnames that you can use inside DOSBox, might not be the same (and not even exist! (as you can turn them off in windows)) in windows.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Handy hint. Hold the shift key and right click on the folder you want to mount and choose "Copy as path". This will place the path to the folder on the clipboard and you can paste it into a batch file to launch DOSBox or the [autoexec] section of your conf file.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ah - see, I was thinking I needed to treat it like "DOS" with the folder size character limit...

Because when you CD to that directory, it "shows it" as the "condensed" name.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

after mounting it, yes, before mounting it,no

Those shortnames that you see inside DOSBox are fake and generated by DOSBox. They sometimes match the ones on your system, but that is a happy accident ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote:after mounting it, yes, before mounting it,no

Those shortnames that you see inside DOSBox are fake and generated by DOSBox. They sometimes match the ones on your system, but that is a happy accident ;)
Hah! See, this is why I said:
Tawmis, Captain Obvious of the Unsavy DOSBox Ship! wrote: What am I doing wrong? Because I know it's not DOSBox. It's something I am doing.
:lol:
DosMan007
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by DosMan007 »

I LOVE DOSBox!!! I actually mounted just my E:\ drive, which is my games drive, and decided to stay away from mounting the C:\ drive.

I somehow still have all 6 of my original 3 1/4" floppy disks of Windows 3.1. So one day I decided to install it through DOSBox using this 3 1/4" USB floppy drive that I got off a guy I used to work with. The funny thing about the whole ordeal, was that I was on with a friend on Skype, and no sooner that I install it, he says, I hope you didn't put that on your C:\ drive, because you are screwed. Well, luckily for me, I still only had the E:\ drive mounted, and I said to him, yea thanks for the reminder :lol: So I got off lucky. Who knows what would have happened if in DOSBox I installed Windows 3.1, because that does install to C:\Windows, if it's on the C:\ drive :o

And those shortnames for the folders thing, there's only so many characters you get to work with, for filenames and for folder names in DOS. Like if I want to get to my Dosgames folder, I have to do this:

E:\ (enter)
cd dosgam~1 (enter

So that now I am at, E:\Dosgam~1\>

It's just a limitation with DOS. On a Windows XP OS and above, where you only get a command prompt, you are able to use the entire folder name.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”