King's Quest Play Through - Commentary.

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: King's Quest Play Through - Commentary.

Post by Collector »

No, that is the regular KQ4 installer. The Ultimate is the last link of the first post in the other installers thread here on the forum. http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3925 All of the Munt installers are in that thread. Don't forget your MT-32 ROMs.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:No, that is the regular KQ4 installer. The Ultimate is the last link of the first post in the other installers thread here on the forum. http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3925 All of the Munt installers are in that thread. Don't forget your MT-32 ROMs.
I noticed (looking at the short cut for my KQIV) that it has "Amiga Sounds" - isn't that part of the Ultimate Installer?

(Thinking I may have already one the Ultimate Installer).
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I think you did use it.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I know everyone's dying to know why I've not posted the KQIV one yet... (sarcasm, ladies and gentlemen!)... But my monitor died on my main desktop (which has all the editing software on there)... so I am just waiting until finances are... there... to purchase even a cheap monitor. (California living is not cheap...)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

A kajillion months later - I've started playing KQIV... most of it I remember very well; probably because it's probably the KQ I played the most, hands down.

However, there's some brutal parts - that even now gave me a tough time - and it wasn't the whale's tongue tickler - the witches gave me hell (trying to get that eye, kept getting too close to them) - and that damn troll in the cave under the waterfall...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Somehow I never had trouble with those two parts.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:Somehow I never had trouble with those two parts.
Witches caught me about eight times, and the troll was in the upwards of ten to fifteen times.
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

Getting the eye is one of those things that requires very precise movements. I do tend to die a few times there.

As for the troll cave, it's just a matter of always entering a screen, waiting to make sure there's no troll, and saving. In your canonical playthrough, you'll never encounter the troll. (That cave is really bad game design.)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

adeyke wrote:Getting the eye is one of those things that requires very precise movements. I do tend to die a few times there.

As for the troll cave, it's just a matter of always entering a screen, waiting to make sure there's no troll, and saving. In your canonical playthrough, you'll never encounter the troll. (That cave is really bad game design.)
Well there's a few places (coming back from the swamp), like when you're in the troll cave, as soon as you go North into the next screen - the troll is in the southern most part of the screen - and you have about a millisecond to respond and try to hit down (but really he chases you - and if you're coming back from the swamp - your only choice is to try to get back to where the chasm is, because he won't - as far, as I've seen - enter that screen... though it'd be nice if you could trick him to cross the chasm after you've picked up the board to get rid of him)...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ugh - also got the broken shovel thing happen - I think because it gives you "X" amount of dig attempts - and I had dug up other graves, just to see if there was anything hidden (Easter Eggs and such) - and then continued playing the game, rather than restoring. :? Odd thing here is - the game lets you continue playing - even if you haven't dug up all the graves - which... is odd. Because unless there's an alternate way, unless you complete all the ghost missions, you won't be able to get the kid to appear, to lower the ladder, and then can't get him off the chest, without the toy, to get the music sheet, which gets you the skeleton key, which gets you Pandora's Box, which is a main quest for Loletta... You'd think it would say "You broke your shovel - there's no way to continue. [Restore]" Because imagine breaking the shovel early on, and then doing all of this stuff to find out you can't finish the mission. :|

But - plus side, no commentary version is done and rendering... now let's see if I can remember my log into the youtube account once it's done. :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Made several folders of save games for "King's Quest IV - Ultimate Edition" (not sure if it will work on any other version of KQ4).

Attached!
Attachments
KQ4Ultimate_SG.zip
KQIV Ultimate - Several Save Game Folders
(2.62 MiB) Downloaded 470 times
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Dug through - and found some of my other KQ SGs from these...

EDIT: Looks like the only save games I didn't keep was from KQ1.
Attachments
KQ2SVG3.zip
King's Quest II AGI Save Game (Folders)
(37.76 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
KQ3SG5.zip
King's Quest III Save Games (Folders)
(103.23 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

If I get some time I'll try to get these up on the main site.

So did you enjoy KQ4 with the Amiga environmental sounds and Roland music?

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:If I get some time I'll try to get these up on the main site.
So did you enjoy KQ4 with the Amiga environmental sounds and Roland music?
Dude, it was definitely a different (and better) experience. I had originally played this on a Tandy 1000, and then after that, when I would replay it, it was a Soundblaster. So the additional effects and sounds (though the birds could get on one's nerves lol) - was pretty damn amazing.

Because I replayed KQ4 so much, a lot of it was muscle memory for me... I remembered just about every puzzle and where to go.

King's Quest V will be a nightmare for me. :lol: I think I remember about 3 of the puzzles... So there will be a lot of wandering around... so I will be speeding up portions of the video where I am lost. :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Non Commentary version of KQIV Ultimate...
For the play through, I am doing something different - going to actually speed up the video (no one wants to hear me talk for 3 hours) and use portions of the play through audio, and mix it with me just talking about the game as I am playing it.

Return to “The King's Quest Series”