There and back again; a Neverending Tale. Neverending Nights

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: There and back again; a Neverending Tale. Neverending Ni

Post by Tawmis »

Took a moment to write about the impact J.R.R. Tolkien had on me, today being his birthday.
http://neverendingnights.com/archives/2900
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

A very touching tribute, Tawmis. Thank you for sharing. :)

I cannot remember the first book I ever read, but it was certainly not The Hobbit. I was taught to read at a very early age (perhaps 3 or 4) by my grandmother, who was so proud of me that she boasted about it to the neighbours one night. (This was a shared apartment block in the early 80s, and all the neighbours knew each other and shared with each other). One of them expressed doubt that I could read at such an early age, so I was roused from my sleep and given an illustrated book of legends.

After reading fluently about the Swan Prince or something like that, the neighbour said "That's pretty good, but he could have rehearsed" - so he thrust the day's newspaper at me and demanded, "Read this!"

In the dim light, I stared at the drying newspaper ink and began, in my best impression of a newsreader: "Today in Parliament, Prime Minister Shamir declared that budget cuts will soon be implemented..."

I never forgot the perfect O that his mouth formed. ;)

I was always a voracious reader, starting with picture books and books of biblical legends, and by age 8 I was reading basic geography books and some of Dr Asimov's science books for kids. By 9, I had already read Swift's Gulliver's Travels, Dickens's Oliver Twist, and The Strange Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I don't remember much about those early days, but I believe that I was already into the early Fighting Fantasy books - which I devoured - and so, one day, my parents gave me a copy of The Hobbit in Hebrew.

It was a strange and unnerving experience, but for a 11-year-old, it was epic and grand. I read and re-read it, even in class while I was supposed to be working on other things. (I got in trouble for that one.)

But I moved on and, for a time after my family moved to Australia, I regressed into the simpler Fighting Fantasy books because they helped me with my English - at least, that's the excuse I gave my parents - and because, let's face it, they were so much fun. ;)

I didn't have the chance to give D&D a try until I was in my late teens and early 20s, but was never able to find a group to play with. Still, the D&D books I purchased fired my imagination enough to pick up "The Hobbit" in English - and it was a revelation, a re-living of the old tale, but this time as it was meant to be told. (I still have some of my old AD&D 2nd Ed books; I used some of the ideas while writing some of my early QfG fan-fiction, using the experience to hone my writing and make it sharper and wittier. Some of my early fan-fiction is, I am sorry to say, rather amateurish, but other bits are better).

By the time that The Fellowship movie came out, my interests had widened into reading humour, science, music, and especially history; but I didn't delve into Tolkien until I saw The Fellowship, and was thoroughly enchanted. I immediately picked up LOTR - in Hebrew - and read it cover-to-cover, even though it was confusing and even frustrating sometimes. (I would have done in English, but I didn't have a copy in English).

My fascination with Tolkien's work never waned thereafter, and I was elated when I managed to score a copy of the wonderful 1981 BBC Radio dramatisation of LOTR and the only slightly less so 1968 BBC Radio dramatisation of The Hobbit. I still felt something was missing, until - while browsing idly in my local library - I found a slim CD entitled "Leaving Rivendell", with Christopher Lee on the cover. It was my introduction to The Tolkien Ensemble, a group of truly talented musicians who had taken it upon themselves to record Tolkien's poetry with music. They so impressed Christopher Lee that he recorded with them, and he has a fine bass voice. I have since scored a copy of all of the Ensemble's CDs, and they are magnificent indeed. I also delved into the Encyclopedia of Arda, a wonderful online resource which enhanced my understanding of Tolkien's world.

What else is there to say? Ah - a year or so ago, when my parents cleaned out their garage, they came across LOTR in the original English and asked me if I wanted them. These are the 1996 edition, illustrated by Alan Lee - very hard to find online except second-hand on eBay, Amazon or on Abe Books (with prices to match). Needless to say, having been given my own set, I snaffled it up immediately - but have not yet read them. I'm savouring the wait to open them, rather like a fine wine that you put aside. :)

After having been given so much enjoyment by The Professor, I figured that the least I could do was write something in return - a re-imagining of what happened after LOTR finished. This is only the beginning - I wrote 6 more chapters, which I am happy to share if anyone is interested and happy to read! :)

(Oh, and sorry for being so long-winded. A wizard talks endlessly precisely when he means to...) ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: A very touching tribute, Tawmis. Thank you for sharing. :)
Thank you, good sir.
Rath Darkblade wrote: I cannot remember the first book I ever read, but it was certainly not The Hobbit. I was taught to read at a very early age (perhaps 3 or 4) by my grandmother, who was so proud of me that she boasted about it to the neighbours one night. (This was a shared apartment block in the early 80s, and all the neighbours knew each other and shared with each other). One of them expressed doubt that I could read at such an early age, so I was roused from my sleep and given an illustrated book of legends. After reading fluently about the Swan Prince or something like that, the neighbour said "That's pretty good, but he could have rehearsed" - so he thrust the day's newspaper at me and demanded, "Read this!" In the dim light, I stared at the drying newspaper ink and began, in my best impression of a newsreader: "Today in Parliament, Prime Minister Shamir declared that budget cuts will soon be implemented..."
That is amazing; and truly wonderful. (I mean, maybe not thrusting you forward to neighbors and demand you to prove it! Talk about stage fright!) But the fact that you were taught so early to read!

Rath Darkblade wrote: I was always a voracious reader, starting with picture books and books of biblical legends, and by age 8 I was reading basic geography books and some of Dr Asimov's science books for kids. By 9, I had already read Swift's Gulliver's Travels, Dickens's Oliver Twist, and The Strange Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I don't remember much about those early days, but I believe that I was already into the early Fighting Fantasy books - which I devoured - and so, one day, my parents gave me a copy of The Hobbit in Hebrew.
That's some amazing reading - and the Hobbit in Hebrew? Like couldn't they just make it easy on you and give it to you in a language you were already super familiar with? Or did you know Hebrew as well?

In the 5th grade is when I started those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books... then later, discovered "Endless Quests" (which was the "D&D" version of Choose Your Own Adventure). I loved both types, but it was the Endless Quests books I tended to latch onto more.
Rath Darkblade wrote: My fascination with Tolkien's work never waned thereafter, and I was elated when I managed to score a copy of the wonderful 1981 BBC Radio dramatisation of LOTR and the only slightly less so 1968 BBC Radio dramatisation of The Hobbit. I still felt something was missing, until - while browsing idly in my local library - I found a slim CD entitled "Leaving Rivendell", with Christopher Lee on the cover. It was my introduction to The Tolkien Ensemble, a group of truly talented musicians who had taken it upon themselves to record Tolkien's poetry with music. They so impressed Christopher Lee that he recorded with them, and he has a fine bass voice. I have since scored a copy of all of the Ensemble's CDs, and they are magnificent indeed. I also delved into the Encyclopedia of Arda, a wonderful online resource which enhanced my understanding of Tolkien's world.
I am going to have to hunt that "Leaving Rivendell" CD... that sounds amazing.
Rath Darkblade wrote: What else is there to say? Ah - a year or so ago, when my parents cleaned out their garage, they came across LOTR in the original English and asked me if I wanted them. These are the 1996 edition, illustrated by Alan Lee - very hard to find online except second-hand on eBay, Amazon or on Abe Books (with prices to match). Needless to say, having been given my own set, I snaffled it up immediately - but have not yet read them. I'm savouring the wait to open them, rather like a fine wine that you put aside. :)
That is very awesome!
Rath Darkblade wrote: After having been given so much enjoyment by The Professor, I figured that the least I could do was write something in return - a re-imagining of what happened after LOTR finished. This is only the beginning - I wrote 6 more chapters, which I am happy to share if anyone is interested and happy to read! :)
(Oh, and sorry for being so long-winded. A wizard talks endlessly precisely when he means to...) ;)
You sent me a story to read, didn't you? And my lame rump still hasn't! One of my resolutions was to finish off a bunch of my hobbies, so that I am not so freaking scattered doing 10,000 things all at once.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I don't know what's going on here, but whenever I try to answer Tawm's questions, I get the following error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Incorrect string value: '\xEF\xBB\xBF&qu...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: admin@sierrahelp.com
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
I sent Tawm a PM with my answers, but does anyone know what's happening? I've seen this error before, but this time, the board wouldn't let me reply HERE - but it did let me reply elsewhere. So I am confused. :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:I don't know what's going on here, but whenever I try to answer Tawm's questions, I get the following error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
Incorrect string value: '\xEF\xBB\xBF&qu...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]
An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
I sent Tawm a PM with my answers, but does anyone know what's happening? I've seen this error before, but this time, the board wouldn't let me reply HERE - but it did let me reply elsewhere. So I am confused. :(
Probably something server side (with the host) was choking. I was going to reply to the PM - but then thought, "He can go into the SENT" items of the PM and "edit" it and copy and paste the code back into this thread...

Just to see if it now works.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Let's try then! Take 1,579,582! *claps clapperboard, or whatever they call it* :lol:

Sigh.... again, the same thing happens. The board wouldn't let me reply HERE - but it did let me reply everywhere else. So I am confused. :( Again, whenever I try to answer Tawm's questions, I get the following error:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

This is REALLY weird. It's like a poltergeist keeps throwing my answer back at me. "Nope - you're not getting past me, kiddo!" :shock:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Let's try then! Take 1,579,582! *claps clapperboard, or whatever they call it* :lol:

Sigh.... again, the same thing happens. The board wouldn't let me reply HERE - but it did let me reply everywhere else. So I am confused. :( Again, whenever I try to answer Tawm's questions, I get the following error:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

This is REALLY weird. It's like a poltergeist keeps throwing my answer back at me. "Nope - you're not getting past me, kiddo!" :shock:
Must be something in the text somewhere... Let me try it when I have a moment...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Tawmis wrote:That's some amazing reading - and the Hobbit in Hebrew? Like couldn't they just make it easy on you and give it to you in a language you were already super familiar with? Or did you know Hebrew as well?
Whoops! I was born in Israel, so I learned Hebrew from the time I could speak. :) I'm still fluent in it. I only started learning English in high school, when I was 12 or so; I had about 18 months to learn it, and then my family moved to Australia.

Naturally, my 18 months of learning to speak English was no preparation for 13-year-old high schoolers who were fluent in the language! :( I hardly understood much in my first year, and spent that year bringing a Hebrew-English dictionary to class so that I could follow along. Of course, there were bullies who thought it was hilarious to play "keep-away" with my dictionary and rip it in half, or to pick fights with the "camel boy" as they used to call me. :( I was always rather skinny and shy, so I didn't know what to do, and although the teachers saw what was happening, they didn't put a stop to it. They thought it would "toughen him up" and "he's just a wuss". :x

The first two-and-a-bit years of high school in Australia was one long nightmare. It only improved slightly when we started doing Shakespeare at age 16. My English improved by then but Shakespeare was a different issue, so I studied it extra hard and got top marks. I also got top marks in math and science. The jealous bullies now came to me and sheepishly asked me for help! After telling them exactly what I thought of them, I made a deal: if they protected me from other bullies, I'd help them. Life in high school became slightly more bearable after that.

What is it they call high school - "the best years of our lives"? Not for bullying victims, it bloody well isn't. :x

All the same, thank $deity$ that there wasn't social media at that time (early-to-mid-90s). What bullying victims have to endure now - beatings, plus someone videoing it on their phone and putting it on Facebook or where-ever for their friends to laugh at - well... it doesn't bear thinking about. :( I only hope that my nieces and nephews never have to go there. For 15 years after I graduated, I couldn't even bear to set foot inside that school or to even talk about it. It was just too painful.

Anyway... sorry to rant. Bullies, as far as I'm concerned, are the scum of the earth. :Furious:
Tawmis wrote:I am going to have to hunt that "Leaving Rivendell" CD... that sounds amazing.
They actually made four: "An Evening in Rivendell", "A Night in Rivendell", "At Dawn in Rivendell" and "Leaving Rivendell". Christopher Lee performed with them on the last two.

Here is a mix of their songs on YouTube. It starts with the spooky "Wight's Song" from "Fellowship", when the hobbits go through the Tombs of Cardolan:

"Cold be hand and heart and bone,
and cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stony bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.

In the black wind the stars shall die,
and still on gold here let them lie,
till the dark lord lifts up his hand
over dead sea and withered land."

*shudder* Eerie! :shock: I can just imagine the hobbits listening to this.

It is followed by a very different track: "Elven Hymn To Elbereth Gilthoniel", a gorgeous guitar, violin and voice hymn to Elbereth Gilthoniel (aka Varda Elentári). She appears in the Silmarillion as one of the Valar (powers) of Middle Earth. She is one of the greatest of the Valar, and the wife of Manwe, King of the Valar. Being associated with light, she is central to the dualism of light and darkness in Tolkien's cosmology.

Umm, aanyway... *blush* The albums are available on Amazon: two albums together (but an import), the Complete recordings (most expensive but most complete), or A Night in Rivendell (but expensive because it's old). I'm sure if you google "The Tolkien Ensemble", you'll find more. :) I'm glad to introduce you to them! They are awesome. ;)

Cheers,

Rath
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So something in the way this was configured when you wrote it was breaking...

I kept pasting parts of it till I narrowed it down. Retyped this:
No Idea Why This Broke It wrote: "Cold be hand and heart and bone,

And it worked.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Whoops! I was born in Israel, so I learned Hebrew from the time I could speak. :) I'm still fluent in it. I only started learning English in high school, when I was 12 or so; I had about 18 months to learn it, and then my family moved to Australia.
That's amazing. I know English... and about 75% Spanish. I can understand 100% Spanish when spoken to me; but speaking it... I always forget how to use the proper verbs and such.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Naturally, my 18 months of learning to speak English was no preparation for 13-year-old high schoolers who were fluent in the language! :( I hardly understood much in my first year, and spent that year bringing a Hebrew-English dictionary to class so that I could follow along. Of course, there were bullies who thought it was hilarious to play "keep-away" with my dictionary and rip it in half, or to pick fights with the "camel boy" as they used to call me. :( I was always rather skinny and shy, so I didn't know what to do, and although the teachers saw what was happening, they didn't put a stop to it. They thought it would "toughen him up" and "he's just a wuss". :x
Yeah, but look at you now... fluent in English (at least the writing) as far as I can tell.
Rath Darkblade wrote: What is it they call high school - "the best years of our lives"? Not for bullying victims, it bloody well isn't. :x
I think High School is only the "best years of our lives" if you're in the popular circle. While I had wonderful friends and an incredible family, I was in a bad place mentally for 99% of high school.
Rath Darkblade wrote: All the same, thank $deity$ that there wasn't social media at that time (early-to-mid-90s). What bullying victims have to endure now - beatings, plus someone videoing it on their phone and putting it on Facebook or where-ever for their friends to laugh at - well... it doesn't bear thinking about. :( I only hope that my nieces and nephews never have to go there. For 15 years after I graduated, I couldn't even bear to set foot inside that school or to even talk about it. It was just too painful.
Anyway... sorry to rant. Bullies, as far as I'm concerned, are the scum of the earth. :Furious:
True... However, the plus side to social media - when someone is getting bullied, it's often posted, and provides proof. Because, back then, sometimes you got bullied, and the response was, "Toughen up."

Now they can see how bad it really is.
Rath Darkblade wrote:
Tawmis wrote:I am going to have to hunt that "Leaving Rivendell" CD... that sounds amazing.
They actually made four: "An Evening in Rivendell", "A Night in Rivendell", "At Dawn in Rivendell" and "Leaving Rivendell". Christopher Lee performed with them on the last two.
Here is a mix of their songs on YouTube. It starts with the spooky "Wight's Song" from "Fellowship", when the hobbits go through the Tombs of Cardolan:

"Cold be hand and heart and bone,

*shudder* Eerie! :shock: I can just imagine the hobbits listening to this.

It is followed by a very different track: "Elven Hymn To Elbereth Gilthoniel", a gorgeous guitar, violin and voice hymn to Elbereth Gilthoniel (aka Varda Elentári). She appears in the Silmarillion as one of the Valar (powers) of Middle Earth. She is one of the greatest of the Valar, and the wife of Manwe, King of the Valar. Being associated with light, she is central to the dualism of light and darkness in Tolkien's cosmology.

Umm, aanyway... *blush* The albums are available on Amazon: two albums together (but an import), the Complete recordings (most expensive but most complete), or A Night in Rivendell (but expensive because it's old). I'm sure if you google "The Tolkien Ensemble", you'll find more. :) I'm glad to introduce you to them! They are awesome. ;)

Cheers,
Rath
Thank you for sharing all of this good, sir.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Neverending Nights - Episode 32 - HD - Employment Opportunities. While resting at the Blackmire Inn and Tavern, Peter the Ranger comes up with an idea, that, surprisingly, Grayson the Fighter actually believes might be a good idea. Every hero needs a villain - and the dynamic duo (unaware they're being pursued by Andrea the Assassin and her cohorts) - decides to hold an audition as to who will be their villain and spread the deeds of their (slightly imagined) deeds across the land - so that they can become rich and famous! After all, what could go wrong with that idea?
http://neverendingnights.com/archives/2912
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

"A nemesis."
"A what?!"
"An enemy."

:lol:! At least Peter didn't say "An enema". 'Cause that would be... gross... :P

Heroes don't brag? Seriously? :P Has Peter ever tried reading Norse mythology? :P

Uh-oh... Grayson likes the idea? What could possibly go wrong. How about... EVERYTHING?! :D

Hey! They went away from the bar without their ale and food! I thought Grayson was starving! :P

I just about spilled my drink at "Do you need any salts?" / "No! Next!" :lol:

And the heroes coming for the hero tryout... "No! That's at the bar across town!" :lol:

Evil Fool? I'm confused.

......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Peter gives Evil Fool 300 gold. Where did Peter even get 300 gold? :lol:

This whole scheme smacks of soooooooo many things that could go wrong. I can think of four off the top of my head. And I haven't even started on the fine detail. :twisted:

Another fine episode, good sir! Thank you :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: :lol:! At least Peter didn't say "An enema". 'Cause that would be... gross... :P
That would have actually been funny! :lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: Heroes don't brag? Seriously? :P Has Peter ever tried reading Norse mythology? :P
In this lame world, apparently there's no Vikings...! :( :lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: Uh-oh... Grayson likes the idea? What could possibly go wrong. How about... EVERYTHING?! :D
And you know if and when things go wrong, he's going to blame Peter. :roll: :lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: I just about spilled my drink at "Do you need any salts?" / "No! Next!" :lol:
:lol:

Rath Darkblade wrote: Evil Fool? I'm confused.
......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Peter gives Evil Fool 300 gold. Where did Peter even get 300 gold? :lol:
Her name is Evil Foo. (But Peter is assuming it's her bad accident, she is saying Evil Fool). :lol:

It's a reference to Fu, as in Kung Fu, but because in this world of NeN, everything is always wrong, the name is (intentionally) spelled Foo (how it sounds). :lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: This whole scheme smacks of soooooooo many things that could go wrong. I can think of four off the top of my head. And I haven't even started on the fine detail. :twisted:
Another fine episode, good sir! Thank you :)
Thank you good sir!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Episode 33: There Be Pirates! (HD)
Peter and Grayson meet Christine the Chambermaid, and Peter begins weaves a very exaggerated tale about one of their most recent adventures... with some... unexpected results.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Heh! Peter finally starts to grow some brains and realises that giving money to "Super Foo" the super-villain may not have been a good idea. ;)

Grayson points out the obvious - that Super Foo just took the gold and ran. :lol: Peter disagrees - classic Peter!

Chief Petty Officer Grayson is afraid! *sing-song* Grayson is a scaredy-cat! :LOL:

I love Peter's pathetic 'pirate' voice. ;) :lol:

LOL!!! Pawl the Commander. I love Grayson's interjections. Pawl is still dead, isn't he?

The skeletons on the ship is a nice touch. Monkey Island 3, if I'm not mistaken?

ROFL @ all the piratey cliches. "Agh, I been hit! Agh, I be dyin'!" :lol:

The whole pirate story is just golden. :lol: "You know, sometimes I really hate you." That just about sums it up for Peter and Grayson! :lol:

I think I can see where the inspiration for this came from - Halloween and Talk Like a Pirate Day, right? ;) Pirates are so much fun.

A really fun episode, Tawmis! Thank you. :)

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”