Hero-U

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Hero-U

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm... so if Thief and Rogue aren't the only classes, what other classes can there be? Intriguing...... ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hooray for the Coles! Good to hear that Hero-U is finally nearing completion. ;)

When it is complete, can anyone order a copy? Or is it only backers who can do so? *curious*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

It's looking good! Yay for the Coles! :)

My earlier question stands, though: when it is complete, can anyone order a copy? Or is it only backers who can do so? *curious*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:It's looking good! Yay for the Coles! :)

My earlier question stands, though: when it is complete, can anyone order a copy? Or is it only backers who can do so? *curious*
I believe they intend to release it for the public as well (to help coup some of the money they've invested themselves in making the game).

If anything, they will, undoubtedly, at least release it on STEAM and/or GOG, I am sure.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Huzzah for the Coles! Creating a game is no mean feat, indeed. :)

As Hero-U nears completion, the cheer squad begins to form. *hands out pom-poms to cheer squad and makes sure they know their lines and choreography* ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Huzzah for the Coles! Creating a game is no mean feat, indeed. :)
As Hero-U nears completion, the cheer squad begins to form. *hands out pom-poms to cheer squad and makes sure they know their lines and choreography* ;)
I am looking forward to it - I just don't like the change of graphics for the game that they're using. Looks like paper cut outs (for lack of words), from what I can see.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm? Do you mean the video included on that page? :?

Yes, I thought that it looked rather strange...
Nowhere Girl
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I check on the project from time to time, but I doubt if I'll play it. I really regret that it's 3D. At first it seemed that the game was going to be more retro and I would have loved it. I like the style of some extra images from the project and it's a pity that the whole gameplay is not going to look like this. I realise that nowadays 3D just gets done easier - but modern graphic programs can also greatly facilitate drawing hand-painted games (or, for example, classic - pencil-style - cartoons - I regret too that now almost every children's movie is "computer animation" - and I really like children's movies, I'm 7, 37 and 307 years old), it's no longer like you have to draw every scene from scratch!
You know, there was one 3D game where I really liked the graphics: "The Witness". I wouldn't say that I love this game anyway, it's great in some respects and extremely annoying in some others. But in terms of graphics - the scenery is somewhat simplified, yet lush, it doesn't have any of the typical 3D textures which for me make the game world look like after a nuclear armageddon. All other 3D games - no thanks; I've played a few, but the very fact that something is in 3D tends to turn me off. I just prefer good old hand-painted graphics, good old hi-res EGA (like in QfG 1&2 and several other games) and some cartoony styles (three different examples: Humongous Entertainment games, "King's Quest 7" and "Monkey Island 3"). And as for new adventure-RPGs, I'm waiting for Himalaya Studios' "Mage's Inititiation" (long in the making as well, but has already been announced to be published later this year - just in time for me to use GOG's Christmas discount... :)) - this is it, a consciously retro game.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Latest Hero-U Update:
http://blog.sierrahelp.com/2018/04/05/h ... edemption/

and

http://larrylaffer.net/archives/2863
Lori & Corey Cole wrote: Last time I told you we are “so close we can taste it,” and I estimated a release date between April 15 and May 15. As we haven’t yet declared Hero-U to be Beta-ready, clearly we’re pushing the end of that range, and we could even slip a few more weeks depending on what happens during Beta. I expect to start the Beta process in 1-2 weeks.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

It sounds good! :) I agree that when it's shipped, it's better to have a game in "ship-shape" than to have one that 'sinks' because of bugs. ;) We've all seen the effect that bugs in games can have - remember Error 52 or "Oops, you did something we didn't expect" etc.?

The gamer community resolved these bugs or lived with them, but it was certainly frustrating when they occurred for the first time. Resolving these bugs is part of the process, so even if it takes another week or two, I'm prepared to be patient.

I've been programming myself since I was old enough to read and own a computer, and a lot of that time was spent debugging. I've created numerous programs and one or two games. So to me, I suppose that patience comes naturally.

Good luck to the Coles! :)

What's your view, Tawm?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:It sounds good! :) I agree that when it's shipped, it's better to have a game in "ship-shape" than to have one that 'sinks' because of bugs. ;) We've all seen the effect that bugs in games can have - remember Error 52 or "Oops, you did something we didn't expect" etc.?
The gamer community resolved these bugs or lived with them, but it was certainly frustrating when they occurred for the first time. Resolving these bugs is part of the process, so even if it takes another week or two, I'm prepared to be patient.
I've been programming myself since I was old enough to read and own a computer, and a lot of that time was spent debugging. I've created numerous programs and one or two games. So to me, I suppose that patience comes naturally.
Good luck to the Coles! :)
What's your view, Tawm?
I just wish they had been a little more - not honest, but realistic - with their initial "release date." The Kickstarter started in 2012. That's 6 years ago. That's a very long time to be waiting for a game to come out that you've already paid for. Things happen (take for example, things that happened with Scott around the SpaceVenture kickstarter and after)... so delays will happen. The unexpected happens in life. I am glad they're more communicative (there was awhile there we weren't getting much in terms of updates from Hero-U ... something now SpaceVenture is suffering from greatly...) So that's a plus.

But as you said, hopefully all this testing and testing again will clear out any potential bugs. But if there's anything I've learned, a game can be years old, played a bunch of times, by several different people and still have new bugs creep up (speaking from my own personal experience).

I know the Coles have done a lot to make this game happen - take loans out against their house and such - so here's hoping, in the end, it's worth it to us, as well as them.
Mostly
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Mostly »

Very nice to see the finish line is in sight for Hero-U.

Realistically I'd expect them to reach beta in mid-May, then prep for a release around August or September.

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”