Steam and GOG sales

Talk about anything you want here
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Re: Steam and GOG sales

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Then Tales.

Actually, Escape is the most derided in the series...especially the end portion. But it's got some nice new music by Michael Z Land (composer of the Monkey Island theme song, the first game soundtrack, and some of the second) in certain areas. Some stellar voice acting throughout the series, though. This is one game series lucky enough to keep the same voice actors for all the main characters (and some side ones).
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yeah - I'm surprised that Tales of Monkey Island isn't there. But it's a newer game, so I guess... meh. *shrug*

I already have them all, and played and re-played them since they're so much fun. :) I just re-played Tales not long ago.
adeyke wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 pm And if you switch the middle two, that's also the order of how much I like them.
Oh? I agree that CMI is lighter and more fun than LeChuck's Revenge - but then, LR is darker and more menacing. (Mwa ha ha). :twisted: That's probably because LR was made by Ron Gilbert and he wanted to take it that way, and CMI and Escape were made after he left.
MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:56 pm Actually, Escape is the most derided in the series...especially the end portion.
Gee, I don't know. I quite liked Escape's puzzles, but I agree that Monkey Kombat is rather annoying. Everything else is lots of fun, though. :)
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:28 pmGee, I don't know. I quite liked Escape's puzzles, but I agree that Monkey Kombat is rather annoying. Everything else is lots of fun, though. :)
I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed Monkey Kombat. Something about pulling out a pen & paper to take notes on the pecking order of monkey noises felt like the most adventure game-y thing in the game.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:28 pmGee, I don't know. I quite liked Escape's puzzles, but I agree that Monkey Kombat is rather annoying. Everything else is lots of fun, though. :)
Regardless, it is the least favoured of the fans. :)
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Mostly
Sierra Obsessed

Re: SIERRA Games on GoG.com -

Post by Mostly »

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Mostly wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:47 am Shivers - finally!

https://www.gog.com/game/shivers?pp=310 ... a992b2786a
Nice!

#TakeMoreOfMyMoney
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Yet another title to add to my list. I finish one... another takes its place. Maybe I should work through these faster. Maybe they'll release Manhunter. :)
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

The Shivers games are interesting. They focus really heavily on set-piece puzzles, as compared to the inventory puzzles of most Sierra adventure games. Some of those puzzles are quite fun and clever, but they aren't really integrated with the world. That is, if you enjoy set pieces puzzles and also enjoy the exploration of a spooky environment with very 90s prerendered graphics, the Shivers games have both of those. If you ever stop to think about how those puzzles work in-universe, it just completely falls apart.

(When discussing the remake of GK1, one of my complaints was the addition of some such set-piece puzzles. For the most part, the GK games are much more grounded, with proper worldbuilding, so they were really out of place there. The Shivers, on the other hand, are all about those puzzles, so I can appreciate them for what they are.)
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

As much as I like GOG for making these games available again, I do get frustrated at the way they present them sometimes. They recently updated most of their Sierra titles to run on ScummVM 2.0 as opposed to DOSBox, doing away with the DOSBox installers entirely. I realize they're targeting a broad audience and ease of use is their number one priority, but it's too bad they couldn't still make the original installers available for those who prefer them. Again, not a huge deal, given the excellent DOSBox installers available here (and with better optimization), I just don't like it when a previously available option gets removed from the table entirely.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:11 am As much as I like GOG for making these games available again, I do get frustrated at the way they present them sometimes. They recently updated most of their Sierra titles to run on ScummVM 2.0 as opposed to DOSBox, doing away with the DOSBox installers entirely. I realize they're targeting a broad audience and ease of use is their number one priority, but it's too bad they couldn't still make the original installers available for those who prefer them. Again, not a huge deal, given the excellent DOSBox installers available here (and with better optimization), I just don't like it when a previously available option gets removed from the table entirely.
Agreed. I can understand getting rid of OLDER versions of the DOSBox installers - but keep the LATEST version they did, and then also whatever the SCUMMVM version is.

I, thankfully, frequently check GOG - and download each version as it comes available - so I have all the old DOSBox installers that initially came out.

I, like you, much prefer DOSBox than SCUMMVM. I think ScummVM should be for the games that can't run on DOSBox.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:17 pm I, like you, much prefer DOSBox than SCUMMVM. I think ScummVM should be for the games that can't run on DOSBox.
Or there some other compelling reason like the Win version of KQ6 for the high res dialog portraits and the Win version opening cutscene.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:17 pm I, thankfully, frequently check GOG - and download each version as it comes available - so I have all the old DOSBox installers that initially came out.

I, like you, much prefer DOSBox than SCUMMVM. I think ScummVM should be for the games that can't run on DOSBox.
That was smart thinking. I did that a while ago, so I have some of the original ones (before the collections were split into individual files) but I didn't think to archive all the single installers.

I also find ScummVM 2.0 a bit finicky on a few fronts. On my machine, at least, it struggles with MT-32 emulation - it's very cracked and scratchy sounding. Someone on the forums suggested this was to do with the SDL 2.0 library, and they may have a point. The buildbot daily builds, which still use SDL 1.2, have no MT-32 issues, it's only on the ones compiled with 2.0 where I experience this. I guess that's just a matter which will have to be resolved in time.

I'm sure GOG will update the installers again when newer Scumm versions are released.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I found a "Sierra Games on GoG" thread and merged it with the "Steam and GoG sales" thread.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

HERO-U IS OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE ON GOG! (Steam Key pending Valve Approval)

https://www.gog.com/game/herou_rogue_to ... a992b2786a

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”