A question - and a little fun...

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: A question - and a little fun...

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:21 am Isn't FROZEN considered new?
(I've never seen it myself, just know the songs thanks to friends having kids... so I am not sure if it's based on anything else or an original).
Frozen isn't entirely original, but that doesn't make it less fun. :)

Having said that, "Frozen" is clearly based on the classic fairy-tale "The Snow Queen", by Hans Christian Andersen (1844). Peter Del Vecho, the director of "Frozen", said so himself. BUT - and it's a big but - it's still a fun adaptation, so that's good. :) There's nothing wrong with taking classic fairy-tales (or anything else, for that matter!) and adapting them to create something new. ;)

Of course, taking the source material wholesale and claiming that you wrote it is completely different. But that's not at all what Disney did with "Frozen". :)

Then again, Frozen et al. came out years and years ago. I'm thinking of this latest trend - i.e. Disney taking its own animated films and CGI-fying the crap out of it. :P They can do what they like with their own films; I just would've liked to see them continue to make originals like Frozen, Tangled, Moana etc. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 pm Then again, Frozen et al. came out years and years ago. I'm thinking of this latest trend - i.e. Disney taking its own animated films and CGI-fying the crap out of it. :P They can do what they like with their own films; I just would've liked to see them continue to make originals like Frozen, Tangled, Moana etc. ;)
Years and years ago? It came out 5 (or closer to) 6 years ago.
And more originals...

Movies by years...

Less than a Year Ago:
Toy Story 4

One Year Ago:
Incredibles 2
A Wrinkle In Time (based off the book)
The Nutcrackler (live)
Christopher Robin (Pooh "spin off")
Mary Poppins Returns (Not an original, but a new story)
Ralph Breaks the Internet (sequel)

Two Years ago:
Moana
Coco
Zootopia
Cars 3
Pirates: Dead Man's Chest
Star Wars: Last Jedi
Beauty and the Beast (Live)

And as my memory tappers off..

Three Years Ago:
Finding Dory
Inside Out

Five Years Ago:
Maleficent
Big Hero Six
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 pm
Tawmis wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:21 am Isn't FROZEN considered new?
(I've never seen it myself, just know the songs thanks to friends having kids... so I am not sure if it's based on anything else or an original).
Frozen isn't entirely original, but that doesn't make it less fun. :)

Having said that, "Frozen" is clearly based on the classic fairy-tale "The Snow Queen", by Hans Christian Andersen (1844).
The Lion King is based on Hamlet, The Princess and the Frog is based on The Frog Prince, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is based on The Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc. etc. etc.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

JasefWisener wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:57 am The Lion King is based on Hamlet ...
Sure. And Hamlet isn't original, either! Shakespeare's play is based on Gesta Danorum (“Deeds of the Danes”), written by around 1200 AD, in which he chronicled Denmark’s kings and told the story of Amleth – the real-life Hamlet! :D

Amleth = Hamlet ... Shakespeare might as well have called him "Omelette". :lol:

So, all right. There's no such thing as being completely original. There are influences and sources everywhere, and that's fine. :) Even sequels can be new and fun - you take established characters, put them in unfamiliar situations, and see what happens.

Of course, some people are lazy about sequels - they just figure, we'll make a sequel and get a bazillion dollars. That's lazy, and the sequel is boring. :roll:

As for remakes, if a remake uses the same characters, the same situations, the same music (almost) - again, that's just lazy and boring. :(

Return to “Community Games”