Leisure Suit Larry 3 - Commentary (Added)

Slipping into your Leisure Suit? Need tips? Or just want to discuss Leisure Suit Larry (Ladies, try to keep the swooning to a minimum, please!) - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Leisure Suit Larry 3 - Commentary (Added)

Post by Tawmis »

Still in the process of playing Leisure Suit Larry 3... and this game is nowhere near as brutal as Leisure Suit Larry 2. LSL2 tries to kill you at every corner, it feels like and has a ton of dead ends.

I've only found one dead end so far in LSL3 (in Fat City)... But, I will say this for LSL3... it's also a little more tricky. There's the area to get to the lawyers, that I originally remember having a hard time finding... and again, had a hard time finding because that is not at all recognizable as an optional path. But the music in LSL3 is freaking incredible. So, so, so, so well done.

Anyway - I will be putting the play through videos in this thread when I am done.

NOTE: Commentary video is added in this post.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Re: Leisure Suit Larry 3 (Soon to be Commentary thread)

Post by Qbix »

I am looking forward to the commentary version.

Good luck on making it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

:lol: Oh, silly me... saying LSL3 wasn't as brutal as LSL2.

When it switches over to Patti - the game makes plenty of efforts to try and kill you. :lol:

And then there's the arcade sequence - which, I loved that you could bypass with F8.

But this is a play through damn it! I had to do it! So every few times when I passed something, I saved over one save game called like "Trying to log game" - and just about up the curve, pretty close to the end, I realized that was a mistake. Because by then it's already determined where the next thing coming down is (because it is random) - and I was in a corner - and the thing coming down came into that spot. I made several attempts to restore and try to get out of that corner in time but failed. So I ended restoring - back to the log and saving just AS I was successfully passing the objects rather than after having passed them. This allowed me with several saves along the way to successfully make it.

So now, I am trying to save it in Camtasia (rather than Sony Movie Studio), because Camtasia doesn't have an issue opening the files from DOSBox like SMS did (SMS required me to convert the files, like through Handbrake, which wasn't a big deal because at 300x220 or whatever - the files were small and converted quickly). But I figured I'd try to save in Camtasia at 1600x1200 for that higher resolution and see how it goes (SMS always crashed on me when I tried it at that resolution).

So I will have the non commentary version probably up tonight if it finishes.

Then commentary version up tomorrow.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yep! :D LSL3 is brutal, even when you're Larry. There are plenty of ways to die in LSL3 ... here are some. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:45 am Yep! :D LSL3 is brutal, even when you're Larry. There are plenty of ways to die in LSL3 ... here are some. ;)
I think I've seen all of those at one point - except the lagoon. I don't think I ever tried going into it. So I've never seen that death - or remember, if I have.
In my play through - the knock on the door one happens, as do a few others. But Patti... yeesh. It's brutal.
Namely the pig ... I died, I don't know, ten times? Even after I thought I had the right idea.
And the log ride/arcade sequence for Patti - I probably died up into the 30 times area - because I didn't want to just bypass it.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The non commentary is now up; a little over 4 hours. It's hard to believe how much time you can sink into a game, back then.
And if it was your first time playing; probably considerably longer. There were a lot of parts I vaguely remembered (or just remembered).
If you want to see the hell of the river rider/arcade sequence it begins here, specifically.
Or the whole video down below...

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

OK - Commentary version is rendering now. Says it's going to take close to 3 hours to render (I reduced it by spreed increasing the video, from 4 hours and some change, to a little under 2 hours... I tried to speed increase the video to 1 hour, but the video moves so fast, there's no way I could hope to comment on the video without sounding like one of those auctioneers)... :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

And finally the commentary room....

So I took some parts of when I was playing (original, non commentary version; I typically record some thoughts as I am playing) and mixed it with the "sped up" play so no one has to listen to me for four hours. :D

Qbix
DOSBox Author

Re: Leisure Suit Larry 3 - Commentary (Added)

Post by Qbix »

Thanks! watched it! maybe you could have used the towel of the first (souvenir) girl to get a tan ? (no clue though)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:29 am Thanks! watched it! maybe you could have used the towel of the first (souvenir) girl to get a tan ? (no clue though)
Yeah... I am not sure about that tan? But maybe? But while dressed as a souvenir seller? Because wouldn't make sense to do it while in the Leisure Suit.

@Collector: Added to Wiki: http://wiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php?ti ... hs.2FHints
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Thanks!
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am
Qbix wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:29 am Thanks! watched it! maybe you could have used the towel of the first (souvenir) girl to get a tan ? (no clue though)
Yeah... I am not sure about that tan? But maybe? But while dressed as a souvenir seller? Because wouldn't make sense to do it while in the Leisure Suit.

@Collector: Added to Wiki: http://wiki.sierrahelp.com/index.php?ti ... hs.2FHints
Hint: you cannot get a tan while dressed a souvenir seller, because Tawnee is still on it. ;) She will leave it behind later, though, and you can get a tan, even without the grass skirt.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

My tan was in reference to the hint displayed at the end ? (1:55:45)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 am My tan was in reference to the hint displayed at the end ? (1:55:45)
Yeah, I think Rath is explaining where/how to get the tan.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 am
Tawmis wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am
Hint: you cannot get a tan while dressed a souvenir seller, because Tawnee is still on it. ;) She will leave it behind later, though, and you can get a tan, even without the grass skirt.
See, that seems a bit far fetched. Like.... if there's anything Leisure Suit Larry 2 has taught the players... don't get a tan without suntan lotion, or else you will burn. :lol:

Also without suntan lotion the idea of getting a tan (unrelated to LSL2) seems far fetched (though, so does scaling down the mountain with pantyhose, I suppose...) because you're fully clothed at that point.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Doesn't the process of getting a tan also depend on how long you lie in the sun? (Though, as Tawmis pointed out, some parts in LSL3 are far-fetched).

If we were to take that part of the game as gospel truth, then Larry - or at least bits of him - would be getting a smidgen tanned while Tawnee is - ahem - on top of him. ;)

Return to “The Leisure Suit Larry Series”