Torin's Passage.

Feeling like this game is just out of this world but can't seem to get a handle on things? Well come on here to post and get some help about Torin's Passage!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Torin's Passage.

Post by Tawmis »

We were discussing how underated EcoQuest was - but I believe Torin's Passage is another game that is so ridiculously underated. I could have easily seen Torin's Passage turned into a 2 hour cartoon movie.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: Torin's Passage.

Post by AndreaDraco »

I never played it, mainly because I can't find a copy of the game. I've read only the review at Adventure Gamers and it didn't receive a very good score. Can you further your opinion? It's really worth to find out and play?
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I loved Torin's Passage. His agility makes it so easy to travel around the game area, and Boogle was a great sidekick. I think I've accepted it's style as one of my biggest inspirations.

I just didn't like how short and easy it was and how they had to wrap up really fast at the end. Not to mention listening to Al Lowe writing jokes for a family game is like listening to Bob Saget on "America's Funniest Home Videos." A lot of the humor is one pun after another and very groan-inducing, but it's all in good fun.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco83 wrote:I never played it, mainly because I can't find a copy of the game. I've read only the review at Adventure Gamers and it didn't receive a very good score. Can you further your opinion? It's really worth to find out and play?
I would say, "Yes, it's worth it." But lets see what others also say! Don't got by my opinion alone.

First, the main character Torin. I think he's very defined. His quest to "save his parents" (don't want to spoil it - but you will see in the intro what I mean) is a very, very honorable one - and it's the main purpose of this quest he goes on. His interactions with all the other characters are very, very consistent.

Then there's his pet - or sidekick - Boogle. Hilariously funny. Has a very unique... skill... that you will need to solve some of the puzzles.

The side characters - like the worms - and the guy who lets you into The Lands Below - amazingly entertaining and amusing.

And the villian(s) are both very well defined with occassional cut scenes to them for more development throughout the game.

The puzzles are fun - and not insanely difficult.

Al Lowe proves that he can do more than LSL humor. And does it with amazing character, depth and story.

Torin's Passage would get a 10/10 from me if I were to rank it.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Tawmis wrote: Torin's Passage would get a 10/10 from me if I were to rank it.
:o

10 out of 10 is an amazing score!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco83 wrote:
Tawmis wrote: Torin's Passage would get a 10/10 from me if I were to rank it.
:o
10 out of 10 is an amazing score!
And one that I think it deserves. :) I'd rank KQ6 with a 10/10 also.

Leisure Suit Larry 2 (which is my favorite LSL game) is probably a 8/10. GK1 is probably an 8/10 (or 9/10 - so close to perfection, for me). KQ4 (my favorite) would be a 7/10.

If that gives you an idea of where I stand with Torin's Passage.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I would hardily recommend the game, too. I have run across the game a number of times. It doesn't seem to be that hard of a game to find. If I see a copy, I'll let you know.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Although I just thought of something - you didn't care for KQ7... so you may not care for Torin's Passage...

:cry:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I didn't like the cartoony style of KQ 7, either, but that was more because it seem to be out of keeping with the series. Cartoony styles fit Al Lowe games.

Akril
Sierra Veteran

Post by Akril »

I love this game. The "nested worlds" idea is a neat one, and adds a lot of variety to the "gamescape" -- not only do the lands differ, but so do the creatures and the people. Apparently Al was planning on creating multiple sequels to this game following Torin as he grows older. It's a shame this didn't come to pass.

I've actually played this game so often that I've almost worn out the CD -- fortunately I've got a backup.
Sierra's Resource Files - There is more to Sierra's games than meets the eye...
My Sierra fan art and fan fiction.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Akril wrote:It's a shame this didn't come to pass.
But then it is a shame that a number of Sierra games didn't come to pass, including the continuation of the series games. Even MoE was going to be a very different game than the one it ended up being, before Sierra was sold the first time. Roberta was going to remain with the company but had lost control of the game, anyway.

Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

I wonder what kind of game MOE was going to be if Roberta had control of the game? Also I heard that Al Lowe wanted to make a 2nd Torrin's Passage game but it never happened. I liked the game its a fun game.
FREEZE SCUM!!
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Torin's Passage was originally going to be an entire series of games, but was canned after the first one. I emailed Al about it once, and he gave a good explanation of why, but I can't remember. Maybe I'll try to find that email somewhere...

On a side-note, Al Lowe is a great guy and he returns just about every email someone sends him. If you loved any or all of his games, I recommend emailing him and telling him. It makes him happy and it's pretty amazing to be in contact with someone like him.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I agree with JWise. When I hunted down all the Sierra peeps online - Al Lowe, Scott Murphy, Ken & Roberta Williams, etc etc - it was Al Lowe who was sincerely the kindest person in the world.

Scott never wrote me back. Ken wrote me back, but pretty much said he was super busy. Christy Marx wrote me back (though I'd love to write her again about her work on ElfQuest now). Mark Crowe wrote me a short email back. There were a mess of others - but yeah - Al Lowe has responded to about every email I sent him (from sending him the same Claim To Fame thread, to asking about LSL, Torin's Passage, even the ill fated Sam Suede which I was really looking forward to.
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Tawmis wrote: even the ill fated Sam Suede which I was really looking forward to.
*sigh* I was looking forward to Sam Suede too.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me

Return to “Torin's Passage”