There and back again; a Neverending Tale. Neverending Nights

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: There and back again; a Neverending Tale. Neverending Nights

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:30 am *snigger* @ name of episode. :lol:
I love making little references to other things (such as Dude, where's my car?)! I've done it since the beginning - there's references to song and movies!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:30 am "And I thought being in a jail cell together was an all-time low for me." LOL!
"Do you mean your sword, or is that a metaphor for something else?" (His sword is on fire...) :lol:
"Would you shut up about the metaphor thing..." :lol:
Oh dear ... it looked like it was going to be halfway sensible, until Peter started with the whole "Don't ask, don't tell" thing. ;)
In the final season I wanted to mess with the idea of pseudo-homosexuality between Grayson and Peter.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:30 am A very funny episode there, Tawm. Thanks! :)
Hopefully they escape soon, and have even more ridiculous things happen to them in other places. The jail scenes are fun and all, but - on with the adventure! :D
Their escape is just around the corner. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Peter and Grayson (and their Invisible Stalker friend) have spent a long time locked up in that cell together... when suddenly a member of the Crimson Draco Legion appears... but things may not be as they appear to be as this episode takes a turn... but is it for the worse?

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Thank you, Tawm! Another fun episode. :) The name of the episode is a Star Wars reference, yep. I don't know SW all that well, but still ... even I know that. ;)

;) Peter giving Grayson a hard time. "Been so long since I had a beer."

Peter: "Nothing about me has changed." Sure, Peter, we believe you. ;)

Hmm ... two observations that have nothing to do with the episode (but pause it at 1:02 and you'll see what I mean):

One: is it me, or does the Draco Legion person's cloak way too long? It trails on the ground. ;) Two: the stones next to the jail doors are freakin' MASSIVE. :shock:

Anyway, on with the episode! I'm only saying this because I just noticed it. ;)

1:27 ... *grins when Peter's voice goes incredibly high; breaks up laughing when Peter asks "Isn't it the hero's job to rescue the damsel in distress?"* ;)

BTW, I don't understand what she says. Does she say "My name is Amy the Armor"? And does Peter say "Hey! You're the lady that sold the Sea Armor"? *shrug* (At 1:23)

:lol: "She must've multi-classed." Peter, quit leaning on the 4th wall.

Peter's one good idea here - getting everyone else out - is shot down by Amy. "We don't have time to do that." Of course not. We wouldn't want the group to get too large, now would we? *wink, nudge, wink*

Hang on. Peter asks "You know Dean the Dragon?" and Amy says "Indeed I did." So - is Dean alive or not?

"Boy, Pawl's gonna be mad if he died again." :lol: Amy's reaction is priceless - but not as priceless as Pawl's lines. "Och, crap."

"Meow!" :lol: Love the outtakes, but I didn't understand some of what was said. For instance, at 6:20 - "Father, you're a Marvin!" Eh? :shock:

BTW, who played Amy? Just curious ...

Sneeze. Damn cat! :lol: Whose cat(s) are/were they?

Thanks again, Tawm! A very fun episode - and, introducing the Sword of Destiny! :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am Thank you, Tawm! Another fun episode. :) The name of the episode is a Star Wars reference, yep. I don't know SW all that well, but still ... even I know that. ;)
And there's another Star Wars reference in the episode (which if you're not familiar with Star Wars, would have got by you) - when Peter says:
"Aren't you a little short to be a Crimson Draco Legion member?"
"Huh? Oh, my name is Amiee the Armorer, I'm here to rescue you."

Is a reference to the scene where Luke rescues Leia. (See here for the snipbit.)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am Hmm ... two observations that have nothing to do with the episode (but pause it at 1:02 and you'll see what I mean):
One: is it me, or does the Draco Legion person's cloak way too long? It trails on the ground. ;) Two: the stones next to the jail doors are freakin' MASSIVE. :shock:
Anyway, on with the episode! I'm only saying this because I just noticed it. ;)
The cloak thing is intentional (to go along with the "Aren't you a little short to be a Crimson Draco Legion Member?" comment)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am 1:27 ... *grins when Peter's voice goes incredibly high; breaks up laughing when Peter asks "Isn't it the hero's job to rescue the damsel in distress?"* ;)
I remember having a lot of fun reading that line; did several takes to get that high pitch but still make it sound like Peter.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am BTW, I don't understand what she says. Does she say "My name is Amy the Armor"? And does Peter say "Hey! You're the lady that sold the Sea Armor"? *shrug* (At 1:23)
He says, "Hey! You're the lady that sold us the armor!" (Take a look back all the way to Episode 08).
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am Peter's one good idea here - getting everyone else out - is shot down by Amy. "We don't have time to do that." Of course not. We wouldn't want the group to get too large, now would we? *wink, nudge, wink*
Her concern is, it'd draw unwanted attention. (Especially some of the folks who talk to themselves!) :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am Hang on. Peter asks "You know Dean the Dragon?" and Amy says "Indeed I did." So - is Dean alive or not?
Intentionally phrased that way; did Dean sacrifice himself saving Peter and Grayson...? ;)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am "Meow!" :lol: Love the outtakes, but I didn't understand some of what was said. For instance, at 6:20 - "Father, you're a Marvin!" Eh? :shock:
Hah! So that's actually "I thought you were a marlin!" Which is a reference to Bat Thumb (one of the scenes we love) - see here for the snipbit!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am BTW, who played Amy? Just curious ...
Amiee played Amiee the Armorer. :)
(That being the wife)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am Sneeze. Damn cat! :lol: Whose cat(s) are/were they?
My cats - Athena, Freya, and Toulouse.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:49 am Thanks again, Tawm! A very fun episode - and, introducing the Sword of Destiny! :D
The Blade of Destiny is another reference; to the Realms of Arkania (one of my favorite CRPGs) - first one was called Blade of Destiny.

I love doing nods to all the things I love as little Easter Eggs.

I have most of them (as I do the episodes) - listed here (need to update it for the last few episodes)
http://neverendingnights.com/easter-eggs

EDIT: Just updated the Easter Eggs to the current episode. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

*reads all the Easter Eggs* These are fun! :)

Just wondering: is the Tolkien font available somewhere? I'd surely love to see it. *nudge, wink* ;)

Also, I think I recognise a couple of the Easter Eggs - for instance:

=======================
Episode 02: 20K?!?

The name of Peter’s Uncle’s Inn is called The Red Dragon Inn, which is a reference to an old BBS ASCII game called Legend of the Red Dragon (sometimes called L.O.R.D.)
======================

So you weren't making a reference to the Green Dragon Inn (located in Bywater, on the Bywater Road, in Hobbiton)? ;)

By the way, the Hobbiton Movie Set (from the LOTR movies) is open for tours in New Zealand now. You can take a 2.5-hour tour of Hobbiton, drink some ale at the Green Dragon Inn, and so on. Just google "Hobbiton matamata" (or click this link) to see more. :)
======================
EPISODE 43: GOT SOME TIME TO KILL?

- The female prisoner, R’ubine H’uud, was named from a contest we had on the forum (back when we had one) named by Will Taylor. The character is actually voiced by Lindsay Archer...

So let me get this straight. Lindsay's surname is Archer, and her character's name is a reference to Robin Hood. How appropriate! ;)

I looked up Lindsay's website, by the way, since I have finished the second draft of my first book, and am thinking seriously about cover art - even without an agent, or an ISBN, or ... :|

My first problem is that I can't draw. My second problem is that I don't know what the cover art concept should be, or where to go from here. :(

Lindsay is very, very talented. I had no idea she'd been drawing for so long. I love her website - but as I said, I don't know what the cover art concept should be. This is probably something I should talk to an artist about, I suppose? :|
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 am *reads all the Easter Eggs* These are fun! :)
There's a ton of little things I've put in the series!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 am Just wondering: is the Tolkien font available somewhere? I'd surely love to see it. *nudge, wink* ;)
I can get it for you when I get home. Probably also online.
EDIT: Yeah, found it: https://fontzone.net/font-details/tolkien
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 am Also, I think I recognise a couple of the Easter Eggs - for instance:
=======================
Episode 02: 20K?!?
The name of Peter’s Uncle’s Inn is called The Red Dragon Inn, which is a reference to an old BBS ASCII game called Legend of the Red Dragon (sometimes called L.O.R.D.)
======================
So you weren't making a reference to the Green Dragon Inn (located in Bywater, on the Bywater Road, in Hobbiton)? ;)
I am pretty sure that Legend of the Red Dragon (and the Red Dragon Inn) was inspired by The Green Dragon Inn. ;)
But our reference was definitely to the BBS game (L.O.R.D.) and "The Red Dragon Inn" because we had both played it way back when. (Because we're old...)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 am ======================
EPISODE 43: GOT SOME TIME TO KILL?
- The female prisoner, R’ubine H’uud, was named from a contest we had on the forum (back when we had one) named by Will Taylor. The character is actually voiced by Lindsay Archer...
So let me get this straight. Lindsay's surname is Archer, and her character's name is a reference to Robin Hood. How appropriate! ;)
That was completely unintentional for this character....
So to go deeper - as a part of the contest, I asked for character backgrounds that they came up with for the characters (because, the wanna be writer in me loves a good backstory!) - and though the person who created the character was male, he based it on a female NWN character he played. So, we liked the backstory - but part of the contest was voicing the character if we select it. Naturally, since it was a female character, he declined to voice it; and that left me to find a female to voice it. I had another role for Lindsay originally (who was, yes, a Ranger/Archer, because I always love making the characters about some trait in the actor's life) - so since this turned out to be a Ranger, I just adjusted it - so that Lindsay would voice this character (and later reveal her name not to be R'ubine H'uud, and that it was an alias she used).

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 am I looked up Lindsay's website, by the way, since I have finished the second draft of my first book, and am thinking seriously about cover art - even without an agent, or an ISBN, or ... :|
My first problem is that I can't draw. My second problem is that I don't know what the cover art concept should be, or where to go from here. :(
Lindsay is very, very talented. I had no idea she'd been drawing for so long. I love her website - but as I said, I don't know what the cover art concept should be. This is probably something I should talk to an artist about, I suppose? :|
I've known her... for like... ever now.
She's amazing. Both as a person and an artist.
If you're interested in her doing a piece; or asking her to use an existing piece; definitely hit her up.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:39 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 am Just wondering: is the Tolkien font available somewhere? I'd surely love to see it. *nudge, wink* ;)
I can get it for you when I get home. Probably also online.
EDIT: Yeah, found it: https://fontzone.net/font-details/tolkien
Thank you, thank you! :) Hmm ... just wondering, though: firstly, who created the font? And secondly, if I used this font for my book, wouldn't the person who created it say "Hang on, you plagiarised my font! You owe me a billion squillion trillion dollars!"? :P

All right, I'm sure it won't be quite as bad as that. ;) But I know that some fonts are free for commercial work, and some are just for fun. So I prefer to be cautious ... I looked for a statement of something - anything - from the font author, but found nothing. Does that mean it's free for commercial use? *crosses fingers*
Tawmis wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:39 pm I've known her... for like... ever now.
She's amazing. Both as a person and an artist.
If you're interested in her doing a piece; or asking her to use an existing piece; definitely hit her up.
Will do. Thanks! :)
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

it's part of the WSI-fonts professional.
https://www.whatfontis.com/FF_Tolkien-Regular.font
http://luc.devroye.org/wsifontdescription.html
https://en.fontke.com/font/29295603/

Their page http://www.weatherlysystems.com/index.html seems to indicate that they sell licences through a website (linked on the link), which appears to be down at the moment.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Oh, dear ... quoting from the second link (i.e. font description):
TOLKIEN is a more or less uncial-style face that obviously was inspired by the lettering used in J. R. R. Tolkien's "Ring" books...

TOLKIEN UPRIGHT is similar to our Tolkien ... both versions, however, invoke the world of J. J. R. Tolkien...
(sic, emphasis mine)

I repeat: oh, dear. :roll: A tiny bit of proof-reading wouldn't have gone astray. ;)
============================
I also find their webpage a little ... shall we say, "strange"? The design seems reminiscent of the mid-90s. I especially find this strange:
WSI is no longer selling or licensing fonts for redistribution.
And the website that might do so (www.ArtToday.com) is down. :( What a pity. I'd dearly like to use the Tolkien font commercially (and the devil on one shoulder says "Go on! They'll never notice!" :twisted:), but I'd really rather not do something illegal, especially since it'd be so easy for them to catch me out. :roll:

Having said that - again, it's really too bad that they're not offering their fonts for sale any more. :(
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

well the font is from 93 (I recall from one of the links), so mid-90's seems accurate ;)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm ... I note that www.ArtToday.com seems to still be down. Since WSI are not selling or licensing these fonts, and since no-one else is either, does that mean they are the same thing as abandonware? :|
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

By the looks of it - Arttoday.com has been down for a very long time....

https://web.archive.org/web/20010202063 ... today.com/
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Wow, clipart. There's a blast from the past. ;) So it looks like that website's been down for at least 20 years or so.

So, my earlier question still stands: Since WSI are not selling or licensing these fonts, and since no-one else is either, does that mean they are the same thing as abandonware - i.e. software that was abandoned by its creator, no longer being supported, etc.?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:20 am So, my earlier question still stands: Since WSI are not selling or licensing these fonts, and since no-one else is either, does that mean they are the same thing as abandonware - i.e. software that was abandoned by its creator, no longer being supported, etc.?
That I have no idea. That's probably a legal thing. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Neverending Nights - Episode 48 (HD) - The Assassin Strikes Back!

Time has passed in the dungeons of the Crimson Draco Legion... and now Peter and Grayson have escaped with the help of Amiee the Armorer... so who is this new woman who has entered the prisons of the Crimson Draco Legion? What does she want? Who is she after? And what does she mean to our would be heroes and their escape?

And when you're done - check out the Easter Egg page for the references we make - some are obvious - some a little more subtle - some explain the changes! http://neverendingnights.com/easter-eggs

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”