Dynamix games: GM vs MT

goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Dynamix games: GM vs MT

Post by goatmeal »

While searching for which MIDI option would be most optimum for various Sierra games, this topic entry was quite helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1461#p19067

I'm assuming the transition went like this:
1. In the beginning: music composed specifically for MT since GM didn't exist yet -- in short: no GM option? Use MT-32
2. A period where: some music was composed for MT (with GM support) and some for GM (with MT support)
3. Finally: a shift to GM as the composing standard (with MT support)

That got me wondering: is there a similar list for Dynamix games? Was there a particular year -- or was it on a game-by-game basis -- where some music was composed for MT and some composed for GM during this "overlapping period"? And at what point were most (if not all) Dynamix games composed specifically for GM?

Essentially, I want to make sure I'm using the 'correct' sound option (i.e., that for which it was composed) for each game.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide (and please forgive my lack of MT/GM knowledge).
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Re: Dynamix games: GM vs MT

Post by notbobsmith »

I don't know if this helps, but I use GM whenever it's an option. Since Windows native MIDI isn't very good, I use VirtualMIDISynth with a sound font instead.
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Re: Dynamix games: GM vs MT

Post by goatmeal »

notbobsmith wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:44 pm I don't know if this helps, but I use GM whenever it's an option. Since Windows native MIDI isn't very good, I use VirtualMIDISynth with a sound font instead.
That's a pretty good way of looking at it. My concern was that there might be some games composed using MT but might not sound as good with GM during that 'MT-to-GM transition' period... I supposed going with GM as a default is the way to go!

I also use VirtualMIDISynth and one of EmperorGrieferus's SC-55-equivalent soundfonts. It's a pretty close match to the digital music tracks found on the Betrayal At Krondor CD.

Thank you for your suggestion! :^)

Return to “The Dynamix Games”