The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The D&D Corner

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am Now for the seductress questions:
1. How would she be a seductress? Well, why not? ;) She can hide the petrifying gaze with a veil or hood, right? :)
2. Why SHOULD she be a seductress? She's living in a cave with her memories, alone, for who knows how long. Why shouldn't she want some friendship - or companionship - or even more?
Yes, she could cover her eyes. But then... is it not kind of difficult to trust and thus love someone if you never see their eyes? :)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am Yes, she's a D&D monster. But does she have to be evil? Perhaps, through her long confinement, she's learned to overcome her Monstrous Manual "evil" nature. (Think of, say, the dragon Paarthurnax in Skyrim). She knows she can't get close enough to other people for romance, but if she takes enough precautions ... maybe she can make friends - real friends, even! :)
Oh, I am all about breaking the norms of the Monster Manual. I even did a character background for someone who wanted a "Medusa" for a mother (that I posted in these forums from the OotS forums).

Just like right now - in the work D&D game - the party is currently working for a good (if not, a tad bit crazy) goblin. And in D&D they're listed as evil.
To me, any thinking humanoid has the potential to be good or evil - just look at our world today. There's both good and evil in humans. Why can't there be good and evil in orcs, goblins, dragons, etc.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am Anyway. I like the paint job on the new amulet - quite snazzy, and doesn't look as obvious as you might think.
Thanks. I think the symbol on the shield photoshop is a little more obvious - but I used texture effects and shading to try to make it less obvious. :)

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am I also like the rest of the adventure. Too bad they couldn't keep the drow alive, but they kept rolling nat-1s and the attacking drow kept rolling nat-20s ... so. :(
Yeah. I rarely play my monsters as intelligent. Normally I do the attack until they die. But with this adventure - I've had the Drow retreat (one when the battle was going poorly, to fetch other Drow), and one (once the Priestess confirmed that the prisoner was dead), even had the Gnoll boss try to run (but the party has some serious distance attacks). I rarely play my "monsters" as being intelligent enough to flee.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am I'm not sure why they're allies with goblins??? :shock: But that's OK.
Hah! You literally in your post mentioned breaking away from the stereotype of the Monster Manual! ;)
See above for what I said about humanoids being good and evil. lol
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am As for the attacking gnolls ... maybe someone in the party (if they had a bard) could recite a dirge for him. "Alas, poor gnoll boss. I knew him, Sephrenia - a gnoll of infinite strength--"
Morsus: That will do, lad. He weren't that strong.
Bard: He almost escaped us, Morsus. I didn't think he did that badly.
Don: (interrupts) Um, maybe it's best not to quibble at this point? Here's the map he had. Where do you all want to go? ;)
What do you think? :)
LOL! Well Adrian found the map (poor Paladin has had a horrible set of rolls since going into the mountain). It's become a joke that his helmet is impeding his vision. Can't make a Perception check to save his life. :lol:
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:23 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am Now for the seductress questions:
1. How would she be a seductress? Well, why not? ;) She can hide the petrifying gaze with a veil or hood, right? :)
2. Why SHOULD she be a seductress? She's living in a cave with her memories, alone, for who knows how long. Why shouldn't she want some friendship - or companionship - or even more?
Yes, she could cover her eyes. But then... is it not kind of difficult to trust and thus love someone if you never see their eyes? :)
Well - she could make up an excuse. She's very prudish, or excessively modest, or something - which is why she's always wearing a veil. ;)

She could also cover her eyes with a bandana, tied hard behind her head, and claim to be blind - incurably so, even with magic. That'd mean she would never have to take the bandana off. There! I thought up a logical way for a Medusa never to paralyze anyone. *does a victory dance* ;)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 am I'm not sure why they're allies with goblins??? :shock: But that's OK.
Hah! You literally in your post mentioned breaking away from the stereotype of the Monster Manual! ;)
See above for what I said about humanoids being good and evil. lol[/quote]

Sorry, I think I phrased that badly. I was just wondering why they'd be allies with goblins - some logical reason. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:29 pm Sorry, I think I phrased that badly. I was just wondering why they'd be allies with goblins - some logical reason. ;)
Oh, well the goblin is in the "Shadow Vale" (most who venture here go a tad bit crazy; between the spores hallucinogenic effects, gases, and basic survival) - so this goblin somehow made his way down there (or perhaps was a prisoner of either the Drow or Illithid, the party hasn't asked so I've not had to explain it) - but he's indeed a little "touched in the head" (I love doing his voice when the party interacts with him, I change my voice and make it all high pitched and crazy sounding :lol: ). But he allied with the Dwarves because they're expert weapon makers; so he knew he could count on them to get him weapons if he needed it, in exchange he would create powerful potions and take it up to them, that can't normally be made without some of the components found in the "Shadow Vale."

He has (as mentioned in a previous post) found and raised a Cloaker (D&D Monster) who he's named "Glider." Since getting Glider, the goblin's been doing much better for himself.

He's learned that the Drow are "evil" like he was - which is now allowed him to see the "error of his ways" - and though some fractured sanity - thinks he knows how to cure the poison the Drow have been using against the Dwarves, due to his extensive experience in potion creations in the Shadow Vale - but gathering those components could be "unhealthy" - so he's willing to do it if someone fetches the components.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ahhh ... that makes sense. Thanks for explaining, Tawm! :)

I can just imagine the high-pitched, crazy-sounding voice for the goblin. LOL! :D

Why does the goblin need weapons? He sounds like an apothecary, not a warrior. (Also, goblins as a rule aren't very strong - low CON, isn't it? They're normally arrow fodder for low-level adventurers).

So what do you think of my explanation for the Medusa never taking off her bandana/blindfold? :) She might be able to see through it, but she wouldn't petrify people.

(Of course, for best results, she needs sunglasses!) :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:23 am Ahhh ... that makes sense. Thanks for explaining, Tawm! :)
I can just imagine the high-pitched, crazy-sounding voice for the goblin. LOL! :D
Why does the goblin need weapons? He sounds like an apothecary, not a warrior. (Also, goblins as a rule aren't very strong - low CON, isn't it? They're normally arrow fodder for low-level adventurers).
So what do you think of my explanation for the Medusa never taking off her bandana/blindfold? :) She might be able to see through it, but she wouldn't petrify people.
(Of course, for best results, she needs sunglasses!) :lol:
The way I DM (and run the world I've created) - similar to the way ANY thinking humanoid can be good or evil (human, orc, goblin, etc) - you can encounter different levels of human (like there might a level 8 human wizard the party has to fight; why wouldn't there be a level 8 orc warrior?). So when Nor'orn (the goblin) was captured by Drow or Illithid - he may have been that low level. But once he escaped, he knew he would need weapons to survive. Struck a deal with Dwarves. Killed what he had to in the Shadow Vale (either for defense or for food), and eventually learned (perhaps from his time observing Drow/Illithid) he had a knack for potions, and became what he is now.

As for the Medusa, it would work. Even as a play character, if a DM allowed it, because there's a Feat called "Blind Fighting" which would be perfect.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Aha ... got it. Nor'orn sounds like (maybe) a level 4/5 warrior, level 2/3 apothecary. (Is there a D&D class equivalent)?

As for Medusa - great! :D Gee, a Medusa PC. I never thought it would actually happen. Wow.

Just wondering: as DM, would you allow such a thing? If a PC wanted to play a Medusa, how would it work in terms of role-playing - would the person at the table have to wear a bandana (so he/she doesn't accidentally petrify members of the party every time he/she looks at them? ;) Or is that going too far, and perhaps he/she could just wear sunglasses?)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:10 am As for Medusa - great! :D Gee, a Medusa PC. I never thought it would actually happen. Wow.
Just wondering: as DM, would you allow such a thing? If a PC wanted to play a Medusa, how would it work in terms of role-playing - would the person at the table have to wear a bandana (so he/she doesn't accidentally petrify members of the party every time he/she looks at them? ;) Or is that going too far, and perhaps he/she could just wear sunglasses?)
I would - but I'd have to work it out.
One of my players from my work game (Chris) wanted to play the equivalent of Korg (from Thor: Ragnarok, the stone dude).
So I had reworked a Galeb Duhr so that he wouldn't have all the powers as a monster that they have.
But he ended up going with a Goliath, which is similar to a humanoid who has "Giant" blood in him - and tied him to Stone Giants.
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/characters/th ... phe-origin

His character, however perished. I offered a free Resurrection if he wanted to continue to play the character, but he opted to roll a new character. So I resurrected the character anyway, and turned him into an NPC who had a vision of "War in Heaven" which will come into the game later; so they may run into him if the game continues (which it has been lately, every two weeks now that we're all working from home; rather than the previous monthly schedule we had).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Apostrophe reminds me a little bit of Shale (from DA1), except that he heals instead of crushes chickens like lemons. Squish! :lol:

I like the idea, but I wonder what kind of stats/skills/etc. something like that would have ... any ideas?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:51 am I like the idea, but I wonder what kind of stats/skills/etc. something like that would have ... any ideas?
Using stat blocks for 5e (looking at Genasi for a player who may be joining my work game) - here's a Genasi stat:
Genasi Traits
Your genasi character has certain characteristics in common with all other genasi.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Primordial. Primordial is a guttural language, filled with harsh syllables and hard consonants.

Ability Score Increase
Your Constitution score increases by 2.

Genasi mature at about the same rate as humans and reach adulthood in their late teens. They live somewhat longer than humans do, up to 120 years.

Alignment
Independent and self-reliant, genasi tend toward a neutral alignment.

Size
Genasi are as varied as their mortal parents but are generally built like humans, standing anywhere from 5 feet to over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.

Speed
Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
And then Air Genasi:
As an air genasi, you are descended from the djinn. As changeable as the weather, your moods shift from calm to wild and violent with little warning, but these storms rarely last long.

Air genasi typically have light blue skin, hair, and eyes. A faint but constant breeze accompanies them, tousling the hair and stirring the clothing. Some air genasi speak with breathy voices, marked by a faint echo. A few display odd patterns in their flesh or grow crystals from their scalps.

Ability Score Increase
Your Dexterity score increases by 1.

Unending Breath
You can hold your breath indefinitely while you’re not incapacitated.

Mingle with the Wind
You can cast the levitate spell once with this trait, requiring no material components, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for this spell.
So I'd probably do something like...

Medusa Traits
Somewhere in your lineage, someone upset one of the gods or goddesses and their vanity. The god/goddess has cursed your family blood line to randomly be cursed with the 'Medusa' curse, so that those who gaze upon your beauty will be cursed to stone.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common.

Ability Score Increase
Your Charisma score increases by 2.

The Medusa curses slows down your aging; so that you live longer with the curse, as a reminder of your family's previous vanity.

Alignment
Independent and self-reliant, Medusa tend toward a neutral alignment.

Size
Your size is Medium.

Speed
Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Longbow Bonus
Due to the Curse, you've mastered using a longbow out of necessity since hunting and getting too close may turn your intended food to stone. You gain +1 when using a Longbow.

Petrifying Gaze
When a target is within 20' feet of you, upon eye contact the target must make a Constitution Savings Throw or else be turned to Stone. The target can make a Constitution Savings Throw every turn until the effect has ended. A target that saves against the effect can not be turned to stone again for 24 hours by the same Medusa.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Interesting. I'm not sure what a Genasi is, though.

As for the Medusa, tell you what. Just to switch it up a little, instead of someone being turned to stone, the Medusa's gaze could turn someone into a statue made from other materials. Maybe even roll a d100 for it and pick from this table:

Roll | Turn to
01-10 Copper
11-20 Brass
21-30 Bronze
31-40 Silver
41-50 Gold
51-60 Marble
61-70 Hardened Clay
71-75 Hardened Dragon Dung :lol: :shock:
76-80 Iron
81-90 Pewter
91-93 Porcelain
94-95 Wood
96-98 Jello :P
99-00 Week-Old, Stale Pizza! :D
=========================
That would make your Medusa character (and monsters!) much more unpredictable and harder for your PCs to know what to expect. How about it, hmm? :twisted:

(And yes, I know some of these are very silly ... that's the point! ;) Besides, turning someone into a statue made of ice is just too cruel) :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 am Interesting. I'm not sure what a Genasi is, though.
https://www.dndbeyond.com/races/genasi
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Oh, those. I think I tried playing a fire genasi in NWN2 ... not too exciting. Not too different to playing a human. *shrug*

What do you think about my table (above)? ;) It would become even more interesting if a PC was allergic (or simply hated) any given material. (Imagine being encased in jello and having to eat your way out. Buuut ... it's cherry-flavoured jello. And your PC hates cherries. Eugh!!) ;)

What do you think?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:10 am Oh, those. I think I tried playing a fire genasi in NWN2 ... not too exciting. Not too different to playing a human. *shrug*

What do you think about my table (above)? ;) It would become even more interesting if a PC was allergic (or simply hated) any given material. (Imagine being encased in jello and having to eat your way out. Buuut ... it's cherry-flavoured jello. And your PC hates cherries. Eugh!!) ;)

What do you think?
If you're doing a comedy D&D session; it'd work.
I tend to do more serious D&D sessions - it's just funny things usually come out of it (due to critical fails, or something a character says/does).

Currently Anita (who is normally one of my players but trying her hand at DMing) is running a group of us through a module called "Lost Mines of Phaldaver" (sp on that last word/name, I am sure).

And during the game, we (the characters) got up and went down to eat breakfast except Nate's character (Trystan, a Paladin and the twin brother of my character). Nate's character has a contact (none of us know of) - who tells him that the Woodcutter's wife and children have been taken prisoner (the Woodcutter was murdered/gone missing). So just as breakfast comes, Trystan marches down and says there's no time to eat. And my character, sighs and leaves breakfast behind to follow his brother (I play a Cleric). The others stay and eat (separating the party is always a bad idea), but eventually they catch up - and the Rogue offers me breakfast from his bag, but Trystan slaps it out of my hand and says there's no time to eat. Hilarious moment, but a very serious campaign.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: :shock: That's very harsh of Trystan. :( No time to eat? Can't you eat on the run, as it were? ;)

I wonder why it's not possible for a Medusa to use different powers than "Turn to Stone". How about "Turn to Wood", or "Turn to Gold", or "Turn to Marble"? Imagine the hilarity when a party member is turned into a gold statue -- someone else in the party will want to sell them for the money, while everyone else will hold him down and yell "NO SELLING PARTY MEMBERS!" :x ;)

Yeah, it's weird ... but it'll be funny. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm not sure where this should go - but I have a question about D&D - or to be more precise, thieves' guilds.

I'm trying to write and describe a thieves' guild and a master thief, which is tricky. I've seen one or two pictures of a "boss thief", but nothing I've seen fills me with any confidence. What would he/she look like, wear, wield as a weapon? How would he/she conduct him/herself? I'm on the verge of introducing my master thief, so I think he/she would purr - because he/she's just caught someone else in the act. :twisted:

Come to think of it, what would a thieves' guild look like? I know, I know - everyone's got their own visualisation. Whether it be Fagin's rickety apartment, an underground cave, or even living in an underground waterproofed sewer (handy for dumping enemies in the cistern, I guess) ... but what would it be like? For now, I've made it underground - with a fake "house" and guard to keep out intruders. Once inside the "house", there's a hidden trapdoor that can only be found if you know it's there. Open it and climb downwards, and the "real house" is revealed - a corridor with two doors. One of them is trapped, but the other is OK. Open that one, and it opens into a T-shaped room - like this:
large_thumbnail.jpg
The bottom of the "T" is where we come in. At the top of the "T" is a raised dais, with a simple wooden chair. Once the "audience" starts, that's where Thief Boss will sit. ;) To his left and right will be rooms for people to sleep, eat, crap, and offer wares for sale (e.g. lockpicking tools, lockpicks, oil, rope, etc. etc. - for all your thieving needs!) :P

In the meantime, what do you think? What would a master thief look like, etc.? And does my thieves' guild sound good? :)

Thanks! ;)

Return to “Community Games”