The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The D&D Corner

Post by Tawmis »

The other adventurers who have been stuck on the island helping goblins against the Kuo-Toa, enter their third session and finally encounter the "Blue Holder"...

http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... scovery-03
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

And back over to the "Work Group" and their ongoing battle with the Drow...

http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... nturers-32
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Two Galeb Duhr reveal themselves...
What is a Galeb Duhr? It looks like a kind of earth elemental?

Cave Fisher, huh? I certainly hope the party salvaged every last bit of it, including the eggs (if any). I also hope none of them tried to drink the contents of the eggs, or they would have hallucinations for quite some time (if not worse). ;)

Why did it have to be spiders? Why not? Everything in the Underdark is better with spiders. :twisted:

But several thousand spiders? Eeeuuggghh. *shudder* :( No point in standing and fighting, huh? Yuck.

What is the "You again?" creature in the picture?

Also, what is the "All our spidery friends" creature in the picture? I don't believe I've met either of them.
...Adrian trips in the dark (Critical Fail on Stealth)
Well ... Paladin. Not exactly noted for stealth, are they. ;) Just wait until he gets a Holy Blade or a Holy Mount, though. :twisted:

What the heck is this four-armed creature? :| I googled it and found you wrote about him in the "Giant in the Playground" forum, that he was a goblin that was tortured by the drow and went mad. He looks ... much, much bigger than a goblin. ;)

Then I saw a picture of Doomsilk, and he looks like a drow. A threatening drow, sure, but just a drow. Nothing special. Spear in the chest would be enough to finish him off. Oh, and it appears like he has a Skyrim Steel Sword on his belt, eh? ;) But then again ... the image comes from "The Elder Scrolls: Legends", so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Is that a dwemer spear he's holding?

Just curious ... ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 am
Two Galeb Duhr reveal themselves...
What is a Galeb Duhr? It looks like a kind of earth elemental?
No; technically. They're just intelligent race of rocks.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 am Why did it have to be spiders? Why not? Everything in the Underdark is better with spiders. :twisted:
The why did it have to be spiders is a reference to Indiana Jones, "Why did it have to be snakes?"
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 am What is the "You again?" creature in the picture?
They're called Chitine. They fought they a long time ago. http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... nturers-04
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 am Also, what is the "All our spidery friends" creature in the picture? I don't believe I've met either of them.
They're called Choldrith. They'd just dealt with them not to long ago: http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... nturers-25
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 am What the heck is this four-armed creature? :| I googled it and found you wrote about him in the "Giant in the Playground" forum, that he was a goblin that was tortured by the drow and went mad. He looks ... much, much bigger than a goblin. ;)
Called Draegloth. Here's info - https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Draegloth

However, the origins and all that are different in my world.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 am Then I saw a picture of Doomsilk, and he looks like a drow. A threatening drow, sure, but just a drow. Nothing special. Spear in the chest would be enough to finish him off. Oh, and it appears like he has a Skyrim Steel Sword on his belt, eh? ;) But then again ... the image comes from "The Elder Scrolls: Legends", so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Is that a dwemer spear he's holding?
Just curious ... ;)
I just used it for visual. But he's an amped up Drow. There's different levels of Drow in D&D.
He's basically similar to a Drow Mage - but he has access to both alchemy potions and spells - and commands quite a bit of monsters at his disposal.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Question ... I'm starting to write my next story, and my hero is going to Carthage (today's Lybia!) :D So ... what would be some good desert monsters to throw at him? :twisted:

I thought of basilisks, manticores, and griffons. Can these be found in the desert? I've looked them up, but they seem to be only mountain/forest monsters.

Also, Carthage itself is not yet the large city it would become in later centuries, but it's a port town. Does that mean there could be hydras or giant crocodiles for my hero? ;)

Aha, but being a port town, there could be some shady characters around (especially on the port itself). It's no secrets that ports aren't exactly safe places. A few rogues? An assassin (eventually)? The setting is obviously real-world, so I guess I can't have any kind of magic-users - no wizards, sorcerers, warlocks, clerics etc. Or am I wrong? ;)

What do you reckon? Can D&D stuff co-exist in a real-world setting? :) After all, quite a lot of D&D is inspired by real life mythology. Why not the other way around, hmm? ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:27 am Question ... I'm starting to write my next story, and my hero is going to Carthage (today's Lybia!) :D So ... what would be some good desert monsters to throw at him? :twisted:
I thought of basilisks, manticores, and griffons. Can these be found in the desert? I've looked them up, but they seem to be only mountain/forest monsters.
Also, Carthage itself is not yet the large city it would become in later centuries, but it's a port town. Does that mean there could be hydras or giant crocodiles for my hero? ;)
Aha, but being a port town, there could be some shady characters around (especially on the port itself). It's no secrets that ports aren't exactly safe places. A few rogues? An assassin (eventually)? The setting is obviously real-world, so I guess I can't have any kind of magic-users - no wizards, sorcerers, warlocks, clerics etc. Or am I wrong? ;)
What do you reckon? Can D&D stuff co-exist in a real-world setting? :) After all, quite a lot of D&D is inspired by real life mythology. Why not the other way around, hmm? ;)
It's your story, your world! You could make these things be where ever you want. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK. But are there any other monsters I can throw at my hero? I'm just wondering -- what some good desert monsters, or good sea monsters? :) Is the Monstrous Manual online? I'd like to look at their stats/abilities for some inspiration.

Also, there should probably be someone (something?) behind it all. There usually is in adventures. Maybe not an evil wizard, though. A rival city-builder, possibly -- and his accomplice, a cleric/priest who summons these monsters!

But "EVIL Monsters"(TM) are a double-edged sword. Maybe, instead of killing them, my hero can reason with them and turn them against the rival city! Or beat them down to prove he's stronger. (Yes, I know it's been done before. It's a trope, after all). ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am sure if you looked, you could find previous versions of the Monster Manual online. Some D&D sites even have the stats and such.

The way I create a lot of my adventures - I look through the monster manual and think of how/why MonsterX might be there. I never follow what the MM says, for monster locations.

Why wouldn't a Basilisk exist in both a swamp and the desert? Or forest? Anywhere it could find food. Only place it wouldn't probably, is arctic regions because it's a lizard that's cold blooded.

Same as Manticore and everything else.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Found it! Oh boy, oh boy -- a treasure trove of monsters. :twisted: All right ... of course I won't use them all -- not even more than three or four. I have to keep the mythology (Greek/North African) consistent, for a start. (No Chinese dragons etc. here). :P

The other factor, naturally, is avoiding copyright issues. So no Demigorgons, no Dracoliches, etc. etc. On the other hand, WOTC don't own a copyright on (say) Medusa, gorgons, chimera (chimerae?), manticores, basilisks, griffons etc. I'll do my own research, as I always do, and then decide how to "twist" the monster around, so it can serve the story. :)

So ... my hero is a prince, the Prince of Troy, escaping from his shattered city after the Trojan War. He's not very experienced in fighting (say, level-2), but he does have a bunch of followers - sailors, citizens, etc. None of them are fighters or rogues, but they'd have their own skills.

So if he's adventuring alone, a Chimera would definitely be too much for a level-2 adventurer. A Manticore ... maybe. I'll have a look at some others. Thanks, Tawm :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:54 am So ... my hero is a prince, the Prince of Troy, escaping from his shattered city after the Trojan War. He's not very experienced in fighting (say, level-2), but he does have a bunch of followers - sailors, citizens, etc. None of them are fighters or rogues, but they'd have their own skills.
So if he's adventuring alone, a Chimera would definitely be too much for a level-2 adventurer. A Manticore ... maybe. I'll have a look at some others. Thanks, Tawm :)
Well if it's a story, the hero doesn't really need to worry about "levels" :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

True -- I'm just thinking about how to portray him. A level-2 fighter would not be very strong or experienced (yet), so that's how I'll write him. Of course, the story itself won't talk about levels, feats, skills or XPs -- that would be silly! :) But it will give me some ideas of what he can do, and I can write these skills/feats into the story.

For instance, instead of the feat "Lucky Soul", I could write in a few lucky strikes or dodges. Instead of saying "He had 8 points in the Diplomacy (or Intimidation) skill", I could show him persuading (or intimidating) people (or even monsters?) to do what he wants. And so on. ;)

I think of my job as a bit of a DM -- I plan out what the story is, who the characters are, what my hero's strengths/weaknesses are (if any), what he should learn, how he gets there. Then I break it up into scenes, each scene lasting about 2000 words (or as long as necessary, like a D&D session). :)

Then within each scene, I describe the scenery and the people, write the dialogue, roll (or fudge) some dice behind the scenes in my hero's favour/disfavour, and so on. I describe what his goal is in the scene, who stands in his way, what he decides, what the outcome is -- and maybe a cliffhanger or two! -- just like a D&D session. :)

Sometimes my hero surprises me. He doesn't follow the script, but does something completely unexpected, because it's smart or funny. Then I sigh, think "Okay", and change my plan. (Again, like a D&D session...) ;)

How to fudge rolls? Suppose my level-2 hero encounters a chimera. Obviously it could roast him alive, but suppose the dragon head is tired of the whole "fly-roast" business and starts arguing with the lion head. "You always think you're in charge, just 'cos you're the king of the beasts!"

"Shut up and flame him! I want to eat his face!"

"Oh, go eat your own face."

"What?!"

"Growling at me all the time. I'm not your servant! I'm a dragon, I am!"

"Excuse me for butting in--" The goat head starts.

"What do you want?" The dragon head snarls. "Go chew your cud again, I know you like that!"

"Excuse me--" The hero says.

"Shut up, you! We're having a civilized conversation here!"

The lion head roars. "Will you stop faffing about and flame him already? Or I could claw him. Shall I claw him a bit?"

"Too much effort. Let's fly a bit and see if we can find a horse or something," the dragon head says.

"Baaah! Speaking as a vegetarian, I object to the rough treatment of living creat--"

"Shut up, goat!"

...and so on. While they're arguing, the hero jumps on his camel and rides away. This gives them something new to argue about - shall we flame the camel? Nah, they smell bad. Anyway, camel meat gives me wind, etc. :P

What do you think? OK, yes, there's an obvious inspiration from Monty Python. I'm just doing a little brainstorming here -- all of this can change later ... ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:55 pm Sometimes my hero surprises me. He doesn't follow the script, but does something completely unexpected, because it's smart or funny. Then I sigh, think "Okay", and change my plan.
To me, those are some of my favorite moments when I write. When the character takes on life of their own and tells me how the story goes.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yep! That's when I know that my character isn't just a list of attributes on a page (e.g. he is stupid, strong and stubborn, and he wants [ABC] or [XYZ] -- but how will he get it? That's the starting point... and suddenly "he" comes up with a plan all of his own!) :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I keep needing these - so I am going to store them here and hope when it comes up - I remember I put them here. :D
Attachments
D2h7t0q.png
d4.png
d6.png
d8.png
d10.png
d12.png
d12.png (132.02 KiB) Viewed 8453 times
d20.png
eJ45C2A.png
fmW9mdy.png
gCEI3p2.png
xdUbXUW.png
ZLRG4JO.png
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I saved them for you, Tawm - so if you can't find them, please feel free to PM me whenever you like, and I'll PM them to you. :)

Return to “Community Games”