The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: The D&D Corner

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, cool. It's done and fixed. Thanks, Tawm. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hey, Tawm -- I have a D&D question for you. (Hope that's OK). :) I've been reading about Sphinxes in the Monster Manual (pages 281-83) and thinking: in the D&D universe, who created the first Sphinx? Is there a deity that "spawns" them? I know that mortals can summon them, but is there a god/goddess of Sphinxes? :)

In Greek mythology, the Sphinx -- the famous one that told riddles and killed people who didn't know the answer -- was the child of monsters from before the time of the gods of Olympus. It depends who you read, but she was either the daughter of cattle-guarding two-headed dog and either a half-snake half-woman monster called Echidna (or the Chimera) -- OR the daughter of Echidna and her mate Typhon (a monstrous winged giant with snakes for feet, who tries to kill Zeus and rule the universe). ;)

Actually, that makes him sound like the typical hammy villain from Saturday Morning Cartoons (complete with "mwa-ha-ha" etc.!) :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:43 am Hey, Tawm -- I have a D&D question for you. (Hope that's OK). :) I've been reading about Sphinxes in the Monster Manual (pages 281-83) and thinking: in the D&D universe, who created the first Sphinx? Is there a deity that "spawns" them? I know that mortals can summon them, but is there a god/goddess of Sphinxes? :)

In Greek mythology, the Sphinx -- the famous one that told riddles and killed people who didn't know the answer -- was the child of monsters from before the time of the gods of Olympus. It depends who you read, but she was either the daughter of cattle-guarding two-headed dog and either a half-snake half-woman monster called Echidna (or the Chimera) -- OR the daughter of Echidna and her mate Typhon (a monstrous winged giant with snakes for feet, who tries to kill Zeus and rule the universe). ;)

Actually, that makes him sound like the typical hammy villain from Saturday Morning Cartoons (complete with "mwa-ha-ha" etc.!) :lol:
In D&D - there's currently no lore that explains where Sphinxes came from. (I say currently because they continue to release new books; and sometimes in those books have additional lore; for example Mythic Odysseys of Theros is very Greek themed and delves into creatures from Greek Mythology (obviously changed to fit the world of Theros).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:23 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:37 pm The other adventurers who have been stuck on the island helping goblins against the Kuo-Toa, enter their third session and finally encounter the "Blue Holder"...

http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... scovery-03
Session 4 for the game I DM, that had been stranded on the island...

http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... scovery-04
Session 5 from this group I DM (this is not the guys fighting Drow) - they arrived in Ivory Coast and were asked by a woman to help rescue her sons and husband... they agreed... and what would happen next... is magical.

http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... scovery-05
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK. So in D&D, how does a Sphinx come to the mortal plane? And which plane does a Sphinx come from? Do any books say anything about that? I'm just curious, because my next story involves a Sphinx as one of the two main characters. (I've worked out her background, what her goal is, and how she aims to achieve it. :) But it would be handy to have some idea of where she comes from).

Also, Monster Manual describes Sphinxes as Lawful Neutral. Is it possible for a Sphinx to become Good -- and if so, even become Chaotic Good, if the law of the land allows Evil acts (e.g. slavery etc.)?
===============================
Session notes ... :lol: Love the unexpected D&D Santa, and his D&D magical tools (Gem of Light and Levitation -- and oh no, his Bag of Holding!!! Excuse me...) *laughs so hard he nearly falls off the chair* :lol: :lol: :D

Sorry. I've been spending some time on crafting a new story (like a D&D campaign) and it's serious work. It's so good to laugh again. :)

Uh-oh. I note Nikalos doesn't travel to see Drow, or Duergar, or either of the two Giths (Githyanki or Githzerai) ... or Orcs ... ;) Orc Santa! I'd love to see an Ogre Santa. Or a Fire Giant Santa! ;)
...a giant praying mantis looking creature... Allow me a moment to tell you about my Lord and Savior?
Oh, gods. :lol:

I didn't think the party would have too much trouble with the gnolls and the hobgoblins, but then I saw the brain on legs ... Intellect Devourer, isn't it? Uh-oh. Those things are trouble. IIRC, they're created by those tentacle-faced freaks, the illithids. Those guys are BIG trouble. If an Intellect Devourer is around, those illithids can't be far away. :shock:

*later, reads the note...* Called it. ;)

Aha, so I see you've been doing some reading into Japanese script. Nice work. :) I think I recognise the names Utsukkuen and Heiwakun; they definitely sound Japanese, but I'm not sure I can translate them. What do they mean? Just curious. :)

Oh, no. Nikalos puts the Gem of Light in the front reindeer's nose ... *dies laughing* :lol:

What does "Nikalos Inspiration" mean?

I also wonder who the lady at the bottom is (the one with the caption: "Where there is light, there is always darkness"). Who is she? *curious again* ;)

Lots of fun there, Tawm. Thanks! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 am OK. So in D&D, how does a Sphinx come to the mortal plane?
And which plane does a Sphinx come from? Do any books say anything about that? I'm just curious, because my next story involves a Sphinx as one of the two main characters. (I've worked out her background, what her goal is, and how she aims to achieve it. :) But it would be handy to have some idea of where she comes from).
Also, Monster Manual describes Sphinxes as Lawful Neutral. Is it possible for a Sphinx to become Good -- and if so, even become Chaotic Good, if the law of the land allows Evil acts (e.g. slavery etc.)?
D&D has not really covered the origin of Sphinxes (where they came from, how they entered the Prime Material Plane) - mostly because Forgotten Realms, as a setting, hasn't done much with Sphinxes, other than say they exist.
D&D 5e is primarily Forgotten Realms (although they're introducing other worlds, Ebberon content, and content from the Magic: The Gathering setting).
So I wouldn't hold your breath on waiting for D&D to explain it; it's probably going to be up to you.

As for alignments, as intelligent creatures, I always allow any intelligent creature to be of a different alignment than what's seen in the Monster Manual. The Monster Manual to me is the "standard" of said monster; but there's no reason Orcs can't be good (maybe found as an infant, raised by humans, etc.) - any creature with intelligence has the ability to make up their mind on how they will interact with the world around them.

So yes, they could be of any alignment, in my eyes. True Neutral as their default, I think sits, because they care little for the mortal world; more interested in knowledge and riddles.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/gynosphinx
https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/androsphinx
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 am Session notes ... :lol: Love the unexpected D&D Santa, and his D&D magical tools (Gem of Light and Levitation -- and oh no, his Bag of Holding!!! Excuse me...) *laughs so hard he nearly falls off the chair* :lol: :lol: :D
Sorry. I've been spending some time on crafting a new story (like a D&D campaign) and it's serious work. It's so good to laugh again. :)
Uh-oh. I note Nikalos doesn't travel to see Drow, or Duergar, or either of the two Giths (Githyanki or Githzerai) ... or Orcs ... ;) Orc Santa! I'd love to see an Ogre Santa. Or a Fire Giant Santa! ;)
This is the second time, me using him. I used him a year ago (2019) around Christmas time - where another set of adventurers helped him (that game was all in person; and due to Covid on hold). What was cool about that one, after they completed the quest, I had Nikalos say, "I have something for you all." And handed our notebooks from my wife's work with their real life horoscope signs on it. See the video here.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 am
...a giant praying mantis looking creature... Allow me a moment to tell you about my Lord and Savior?
Oh, gods. :lol:
I tend to inject a lot of puns when I insert images in the notes.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 am I didn't think the party would have too much trouble with the gnolls and the hobgoblins,
Gnolls are dangerous if they make someone go down during melee - because they can rampage: https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/gnoll
Hobgoblins are even more dangerous if there's two of them side by side, because of Martial Advantage which allows them to crank out EXTRA damage EVERY turn: https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/hobgoblin
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 am but then I saw the brain on legs ... Intellect Devourer, isn't it? Uh-oh. Those things are trouble. IIRC, they're created by those tentacle-faced freaks, the illithids. Those guys are BIG trouble. If an Intellect Devourer is around, those illithids can't be far away. :shock:
*later, reads the note...* Called it. ;)
Yeah. This party (currently in my head), will eventually head into the Shadow Vale (my version of the Underdark) to learn about the Illithid (which are just "scary stories" in my world; their general existence isn't believed; similar to people on Earth and their belief in the various aliens from space who have "abducted" them)... there's tons of stories about Illithid... but they're all different... and they're always portrayed looking different - but always look humanoid with some kind of weird squid connection (some say it's on the face, some say the top of the head, some say the finger tips, some say the chest, some say their privates)...

But since I have (what I call my "Work Group") discovering the Drow (which are known to exist, but very little is known about them, because they will kill themselves before being captured) - I figure this other group can maybe learn about the Illithid in my world.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 am Aha, so I see you've been doing some reading into Japanese script. Nice work. :) I think I recognise the names Utsukkuen and Heiwakun; they definitely sound Japanese, but I'm not sure I can translate them. What do they mean? Just curious. :)
I created an entire area and lore because two people in this group are Monks. And I literally had no lore, no background, or anything for Monks.
I'd posted about it back at the start of November - http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 488#p78488
But Utsukkuen comes from translating "Beautiful Paradise" in Japanese which is: Utsukushi rakuen - so I took part of the words (because it's not actually Japanese, just want it to sound like it) - Utsukushi rakuen became: Utsukushi rakuen becoming: Utsukkuen
I did that with the naming of the regions too (the aforementioned post goes into more detail)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 am Oh, no. Nikalos puts the Gem of Light in the front reindeer's nose ... *dies laughing* :lol:
What does "Nikalos Inspiration" mean?
Everyone loved the Reindeer Nose bit. :D
And Nikalos Inspiration... Well, first Inspiration means you can re-roll ANY roll. You can re-roll your attack roll. Your damage roll. Your Savings Throw. Anything. But once you use it, it's gone - and you can only ever have 1 Inspiration (they don't stack). And usually after a long rest, Inspiration is lost if not used. So for example, you do something cool during combat, the DM says, "That was great thinking! You get inspiration for that!" This means you can then - as I said, use it to re-roll attacks/damage/savings throws. So for example, you roll and miss, you can say, "I want to use my Inspiration." You roll your attack again, and hopefully hit - hit or miss though, Inspiration is now gone.

Nikalos Inspiration does NOT expire on a Long Rest. You have it until you use it.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 am I also wonder who the lady at the bottom is (the one with the caption: "Where there is light, there is always darkness"). Who is she? *curious again* ;)
Lots of fun there, Tawm. Thanks! :)
As for the woman at the bottom - she's foreshadowing the next adventure (which is the 16 of Jan, 2021).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 am D&D has not really covered the origin of Sphinxes (where they came from, how they entered the Prime Material Plane) - mostly because Forgotten Realms, as a setting, hasn't done much with Sphinxes, other than say they exist.
D&D 5e is primarily Forgotten Realms (although they're introducing other worlds, Ebberon content, and content from the Magic: The Gathering setting).
So I wouldn't hold your breath on waiting for D&D to explain it; it's probably going to be up to you.

As for alignments, as intelligent creatures, I always allow any intelligent creature to be of a different alignment than what's seen in the Monster Manual. The Monster Manual to me is the "standard" of said monster; but there's no reason Orcs can't be good (maybe found as an infant, raised by humans, etc.) - any creature with intelligence has the ability to make up their mind on how they will interact with the world around them.

So yes, they could be of any alignment, in my eyes. True Neutral as their default, I think sits, because they care little for the mortal world; more interested in knowledge and riddles.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/gynosphinx
https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/androsphinx
Fair enough. I've done some research into planes in FR, and it seems to me that if Sphinxes come from anywhere, it could possibly be Arcadia, between Mechanus and Mount Celestia.

Why? The two entries you've quoted about Sphinxes show they are LN (though, as you point out, intelligent creatures can be any alignment). However, since a sphinx's "job" is to guard the treasure of the gods, anyone trying to go up against them is going to have a really bad time. ;) So, a "generic" sphinx wouldn't care much about morality; it just cares about making sure that no-one can get their hands on the gods' treasury, except those powerful enough to handle it.

That's the theory. In practice, a sphinx might (maybe?) decide to go out into the world a bit (as with the RL Sphinx of Thebes, with her riddles and such), and "delegate" the guarding of treasure bit to (maybe) a few devas, a planetar -- maybe even a solar. ;) Would that work?
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 am This is the second time, me using him. I used him a year ago (2019) around Christmas time - where another set of adventurers helped him (that game was all in person; and due to Covid on hold). What was cool about that one, after they completed the quest, I had Nikalos say, "I have something for you all." And handed our notebooks from my wife's work with their real life horoscope signs on it. See the video [url=[b]here.[/b]
Oh, wow! That's very cool. *nod* Nice work! :)
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 am Gnolls are dangerous if they make someone go down during melee - because they can rampage: https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/gnoll
Hobgoblins are even more dangerous if there's two of them side by side, because of Martial Advantage which allows them to crank out EXTRA damage EVERY turn: https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/hobgoblin
Oh, OK. I was basing my impression of gnolls and hobgoblins from NWN, but in that game they are wusses. Hobgoblins here (able to deal an extra 2d6 every turn)? Yikes.

I'm not sure about the gnoll rampage. Yes, it can deal 1d4+2 every turn... does that mean that, if it's undefeated in the next turn, it could (theoretically) kill a PC?

Let's say your PC is down to 0. Gnoll rampages, PC is down to -6. Unless the PC is healed (or that gnoll is killed), it can rampage again -- PC is down to -12, and is dead. :( Is that what you mean?
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 am Yeah. This party (currently in my head), will eventually head into the Shadow Vale (my version of the Underdark) to learn about the Illithid (which are just "scary stories" in my world; their general existence isn't believed; similar to people on Earth and their belief in the various aliens from space who have "abducted" them)... there's tons of stories about Illithid... but they're all different... and they're always portrayed looking different - but always look humanoid with some kind of weird squid connection (some say it's on the face, some say the top of the head, some say the finger tips, some say the chest, some say their privates)...

But since I have (what I call my "Work Group") discovering the Drow (which are known to exist, but very little is known about them, because they will kill themselves before being captured) - I figure this other group can maybe learn about the Illithid in my world.
Yikes. :shock: Illthid, in my book, are the creepiest monsters in D&D. I used to think they were pushovers (because in NWN: HotU, they were). But when I found what they can do with their psionic attacks, never mind what the Overmind can do ... oh, and how a new illthid is created. Nightmare Fuel. (Baldur's Gate 3 didn't help). ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:23 am Fair enough. I've done some research into planes in FR, and it seems to me that if Sphinxes come from anywhere, it could possibly be Arcadia, between Mechanus and Mount Celestia. Why? The two entries you've quoted about Sphinxes show they are LN (though, as you point out, intelligent creatures can be any alignment). However, since a sphinx's "job" is to guard the treasure of the gods, anyone trying to go up against them is going to have a really bad time. ;) So, a "generic" sphinx wouldn't care much about morality; it just cares about making sure that no-one can get their hands on the gods' treasury, except those powerful enough to handle it. That's the theory. In practice, a sphinx might (maybe?) decide to go out into the world a bit (as with the RL Sphinx of Thebes, with her riddles and such), and "delegate" the guarding of treasure bit to (maybe) a few devas, a planetar -- maybe even a solar. ;) Would that work?
So for example in my world that I created and DM for; there was a war in the heavens where some Immortals and weapons fell to the world. The gods created Sphinxes to guard those things from falling into the hands of mortals. They also appointed Sphinxes to guard mortal tombs as well, if the mortal was somehow very important (prevent tomb raiders, if you will) or the tomb holds valuable information (say books from a powerful wizard). I will, undoubtedly, flesh out Sphinxes more when (any one of my games) gets into an area called 'The Broken Lands' - where Sphinxes are known to exst.

So I wouldn't worry where the FR Sphinxes come from, for your story. :)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:23 am
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 am Gnolls are dangerous if they make someone go down during melee - because they can rampage: https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/gnoll
Oh, OK. I was basing my impression of gnolls and hobgoblins from NWN, but in that game they are wusses. Hobgoblins here (able to deal an extra 2d6 every turn)? Yikes.
I'm not sure about the gnoll rampage. Yes, it can deal 1d4+2 every turn... does that mean that, if it's undefeated in the next turn, it could (theoretically) kill a PC?
Let's say your PC is down to 0. Gnoll rampages, PC is down to -6. Unless the PC is healed (or that gnoll is killed), it can rampage again -- PC is down to -12, and is dead. :( Is that what you mean?
NWN also is based on 3rd Edition D&D - which is quite different than 5e, in how monsters have "skills and abilities" now.
So in the example of the gnoll - say it brings a PC down to 0 HP (in 5e there is no going below 0 - at 0 you start making what's called a Death Save) - that means any character within 15' feet of the gnoll (half the gnoll's movement of 30) - the gnoll can take a free action to "Rampage" - and run up to that PC and do a free Bite attack. So the gnoll downs Barith the Great, sees Jerik the Lightbringer within 15 feet - runs up to Jerik and now does a bite attack against him for free. The only stipulation is that the gnoll has to use a melee attack to bring the person down to take advantage of this. So for example if a Gnoll uses a bow and brings down Barith, it can't Rampage. If the gnoll uses a spear in melee (say stab him) and downs him - he can rampage. If he throws his spear and downs him, he can't rampage.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:23 am
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 am Yeah. This party (currently in my head), will eventually head into the Shadow Vale (my version of the Underdark) to learn about the Illithid (which are just "scary stories" in my world; their general existence isn't believed; similar to people on Earth and their belief in the various aliens from space who have "abducted" them)... there's tons of stories about Illithid... but they're all different... and they're always portrayed looking different - but always look humanoid with some kind of weird squid connection (some say it's on the face, some say the top of the head, some say the finger tips, some say the chest, some say their privates)...
Yikes. :shock: Illthid, in my book, are the creepiest monsters in D&D. I used to think they were pushovers (because in NWN: HotU, they were). But when I found what they can do with their psionic attacks, never mind what the Overmind can do ... oh, and how a new illthid is created. Nightmare Fuel. (Baldur's Gate 3 didn't help). ;)
Illithid have always been tough. But NWN is definitely geared to make it so things are solo'able. Illithid should not be solo'able.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:25 pm So for example in my world that I created and DM for; there was a war in the heavens where some Immortals and weapons fell to the world. The gods created Sphinxes to guard those things from falling into the hands of mortals. They also appointed Sphinxes to guard mortal tombs as well, if the mortal was somehow very important (prevent tomb raiders, if you will) or the tomb holds valuable information (say books from a powerful wizard). I will, undoubtedly, flesh out Sphinxes more when (any one of my games) gets into an area called 'The Broken Lands' - where Sphinxes are known to exist.

So I wouldn't worry where the FR Sphinxes come from, for your story. :)
I'm not too worried about FR Sphinxes. :) My Sphinxes (like the D&D ones) are also plane-travellers, so I thought if I could work out (logically) the plane where they came from, then I could equate that to a real-life (or myth) location.

Arcadia and Elysium also exist in Greece or Greek myth. (Mount Celestia is more problematic. It may be that the name "Celestia" is similar to Selene, the Greek goddess of the moon).

Anyway, it bothers me that in the legend, as soon as the Sphinx's riddle is solved, she kills herself. No explanation or reason. Why should she? And who said she's a monster? Even if she is one, why can't she seek redemption or purification? *shrug* Weird.
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 am Illithid have always been tough. But NWN is definitely geared to make it so things are solo'able. Illithid should not be solo'able.
:lol: I wouldn't try to solo illithids, even in NWN.

That portion of the game always struck me as stupid, because as soon as you walk into the illthid cave, you're approached by a group of slavers. No matter what you say or do, they die and you get a helmet that shields you from the illithid mind-reading powers.

What makes this stupider still is this: you then have to speak to the illthid Elder Brain -- without the mind-shielding helmet -- and somehow convince him to withdraw the illithids from an alliance with the Valsharess. (And you have the option to fight and kill the Elder Brain, and get away with it). :lol: I've done it once, though not as solo.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:52 pm :lol: I wouldn't try to solo illithids, even in NWN.
That portion of the game always struck me as stupid, because as soon as you walk into the illthid cave, you're approached by a group of slavers. No matter what you say or do, they die and you get a helmet that shields you from the illithid mind-reading powers.
What makes this stupider still is this: you then have to speak to the illthid Elder Brain -- without the mind-shielding helmet -- and somehow convince him to withdraw the illithids from an alliance with the Valsharess. (And you have the option to fight and kill the Elder Brain, and get away with it). :lol: I've done it once, though not as solo.
You can see from my little comic strips how one of the games I was in went...

http://neverendingnights.com/archives/3659

Couple of Illithid ones in there.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK ... hmm. I don't understand this one. Who is Meridan?

I don't get this one either. Why do you need to hit a beholder before he helps you to get gas?

And what is this all about? :shock: It says:
"Meridan (Brains Eaten Out)
Apollonia (Sword of Dancing got out of control)
Artimes (killed by Thorwalian)
Thorwalian (Party killed him)
Adel (killed by Artimes)
Zara (killed by Griffon)
Maddi (blinked out of existence)"

What? :shock: ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:20 am OK ... hmm. I don't understand this one. Who is Meridan?
This is a reference to the idea we'd camp and heal some and try to fight them again.
In EverQuest, you can stack a pile of your own corpses. Meridan was one of the characters who perished in our battle with the Illithid.
We were all into EverQuest back then - so I was saying what it would look like if D&D was like EverQuest.
Spawn. Try again. Die. Spawn. Try again. Die. Rinse Repeat.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:20 am I don't get this one either. Why do you need to hit a beholder before he helps you to get gas?
Hahahahhaha! Oh. You clearly have never encountered a cruel DM who used a Gas Spore on you?
Gas Spores look EXACTLY like Beholders.
However, they only have 1 HP. And upon death, spray gas.
If you fail, the gas seeps into your skin. And unless you're cured, you die, and Gas Spores form out of your flesh.
Not all that pleasant way of dying. :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:20 am And what is this all about? :shock: It says:
"Meridan (Brains Eaten Out)
Apollonia (Sword of Dancing got out of control)
Artimes (killed by Thorwalian)
Thorwalian (Party killed him)
Adel (killed by Artimes)
Zara (killed by Griffon)
Maddi (blinked out of existence)"

What? :shock: ;)
This was pretty much how the battle went down against the Illithid.
Thorwalian (my guy), got possessed (barbarian, low intelligence) - was used to attack the rest of the party (got Artimes). The rest of the party was forced to kill me.
Apollonia, if I remember, also got possessed. And was swinging wildly with their magic sword. And killed Adel (not the singer)
Meridan got their brains devoured by an Illithid.
I can't recall how/why Zara was killed by a griffon.
And Maddi (my wife) had a ring of blinking, and saw how the battle was going and fled. Thus, blinked out of existence.

:lol:
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:shock: Those gas spores sound ... ugh. But -- hold on. If you die before more gas spores come out of you, why would you care? You're dead. *shrug*

:lol: That battle against the Illithid sounds like something out of Knights of the Dinner Table. (Except that griffon seems random). "You battle the Illithid. They summon a Griffon who falls on you. You die." (Sounds similar to "rocks fall, everybody dies", doesn't it?) ;)

I'm also a little confused about that Ring of Blinking. Maddi uses the ring, it blinks her to the Ethereal Plane. Fine. But on the next turn, she'll blink back into the Material Plane -- and back the Illthid again! :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:18 am I'm also a little confused about that Ring of Blinking. Maddi uses the ring, it blinks her to the Ethereal Plane. Fine. But on the next turn, she'll blink back into the Material Plane -- and back the Illthid again! :lol:
Yes, but it essentially works like a blink spell which has quite a few benefits -

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blink

- Physical attacks against you have a 50% miss chance, and the Blind-Fight feat doesn’t help opponents, since you’re ethereal and not merely invisible. If the attack is capable of striking ethereal creatures, the miss chance is only 20% (for concealment).

- If the attacker can see invisible creatures, the miss chance is also only 20%. (For an attacker who can both see and strike ethereal creatures, there is no miss chance.) Likewise, your own attacks have a 20% miss chance, since you sometimes go ethereal just as you are about to strike.

- Any individually targeted spell has a 50% chance to fail against you while you’re blinking unless your attacker can target invisible, ethereal creatures. Your own spells have a 20% chance to activate just as you go ethereal, in which case they typically do not affect the Material Plane (but they might affect targets on the Ethereal Plane).

- While blinking, you take only half damage from area attacks (but full damage from those that extend onto the Ethereal Plane). Although you are only partially visible, you are not considered invisible and targets retain their Dexterity bonus to AC against your attacks. You do receive a +2 bonus on attack rolls made against enemies that cannot see invisible creatures.

- While blinking, you can step through (but not see through) solid objects. For each 5 feet of solid material you walk through, there is a 50% chance that you become material. If this occurs, you are shunted off to the nearest open space and take 1d6 points of damage per 5 feet so traveled.

This makes escaping quite easy.

He main trick was using her Ring of Blinking and Mirror Image side by side (Gnome Rogue/Illusionist).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ooh! Mirror images - 1d4 + 1 mirror images for each level (up to 8) of her materialize and start to fight the illithid. That's clever. :)

I hope she managed to escape quickly, though. the blink effect only lasts one turn (about 10 minutes), right? Also, illithid aren't stupid. I presume their psionic abilities wouldn't do anything to the mirror images (because mirror images have no brains of their own). Sooner or later, some illithid would notice they're being fooled. ;)

Return to “Community Games”