Is Larry a time traveler/Dimension hopper?

Slipping into your Leisure Suit? Need tips? Or just want to discuss Leisure Suit Larry (Ladies, try to keep the swooning to a minimum, please!) - this is the place to do it!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Is Larry a time traveler/Dimension hopper?

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:
adeyke wrote:Well, since SQ4 is an SCI1 game, any graphics would have to be bitmapped, even if they look identical to something from an AGI or SCI0 game. So they could either use whatever vector-based tools they had and then convert the result to bitmap, or directly use bitmap-based tools and just mimic the style.

That's for backgrounds. The character sprites are always bitmap-based, so the only difference between making those in EGA vs VGA is how many colors you have available.
I think it would have been more of a headache to do EGA graphics in a VGA game. Because everything - except Wilco - would have to be EGA. And I feel like that would have been tedious. (Funny, yes, but tedious)
Wouldn't have to be. You just limit your palette as you paint. Remember that dithering can be done as a fill. They may have even just taken the original pic resources from the earlier games and simply converted them to SCI1/SCI1.1 resources. There are even some fan made utilities that can convert AGI Pic resources to SCI0. The new version of SCI Companion can import images to SCI0 and SCI1.1 Pic resources.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

The SQ1 you visit is already EGA, and the characters from SQ1 (bartender and performers) are also EGA. As it stands, only Roger and the bikers are VGA. I don't think it's a huge leap to go from that to having only Roger be VGA. Though, like I said, coming up with an actual scenario of the kind I would have wanted to see would still be a challenge.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Also don't forget that both the pic resource and the views have to share the same 8-bit palette.
pic650.png
pic650.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 11453 times
This pic only uses 5 colors, which means that the views can use any of these 5 colors, the colors of the global palette (the 999 palette) and any other colors up to the total 256 colors minus the pic and global palettes.
This view only uses about 10 colors. Using the two in the same room would be no trouble and would still allow for more views. You are more likely to run out of hunk space before you would run out of palette colors.
Attachments
View13-0-0.png
View13-0-0.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 11453 times

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

adeyke wrote:The SQ1 you visit is already EGA, and the characters from SQ1 (bartender and performers) are also EGA. As it stands, only Roger and the bikers are VGA. I don't think it's a huge leap to go from that to having only Roger be VGA. Though, like I said, coming up with an actual scenario of the kind I would have wanted to see would still be a challenge.
You're correct (no surprise!) I totally thought that it was still VGA graphics (that looked EGA - like nicely colored, but simple)... But no, they did the full EGA look...
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Rather than Larry being a time traveler, I'd like to propose a theory that the science lab beneath the street (the one you see whenever Larry dies in the alley) is an alien facility that has been pumping out Larry clones/robots/zombies for almost thirty years. And they've been sending copies of Larry into Lost Wages for decades as part of an experiment to understand the human emotion called "love".

Meanwhile, one copy escaped and went on to star in several sequels. A slave to his original programming with no memory of what he really is, this rogue Larry wandered the Earth, obsessively seeking love in all the wrong places until the end of LSL7 where the aliens finally located and recovered him.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:Rather than Larry being a time traveler, I'd like to propose a theory that the science lab beneath the street (the one you see whenever Larry dies in the alley) is an alien facility that has been pumping out Larry clones/robots/zombies for almost thirty years. And they've been sending copies of Larry into Lost Wages for decades as part of an experiment to understand the human emotion called "love".

Meanwhile, one copy escaped and went on to star in several sequels. A slave to his original programming with no memory of what he really is, this rogue Larry wandered the Earth, obsessively seeking love in all the wrong places until the end of LSL7 where the aliens finally located and recovered him.
This sounds like a fan fiction in the making...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Or another short fan game.

SierraDude81
Sierra Lover

Post by SierraDude81 »

Datadog wrote: Sun May 08, 2016 3:05 am Rather than Larry being a time traveler, I'd like to propose a theory that the science lab beneath the street (the one you see whenever Larry dies in the alley) is an alien facility that has been pumping out Larry clones/robots/zombies for almost thirty years. And they've been sending copies of Larry into Lost Wages for decades as part of an experiment to understand the human emotion called "love".

And Datadog shattered the universe by predicting WDDD! And I further shattered the universe by not only replying to this dusty topic, but also by beginning a sentence with 'And' :p
The Procestuousity begins here!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

SierraDude81 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:36 pm
Datadog wrote: Sun May 08, 2016 3:05 am Rather than Larry being a time traveler, I'd like to propose a theory that the science lab beneath the street (the one you see whenever Larry dies in the alley) is an alien facility that has been pumping out Larry clones/robots/zombies for almost thirty years. And they've been sending copies of Larry into Lost Wages for decades as part of an experiment to understand the human emotion called "love".

And Datadog shattered the universe by predicting WDDD! And I further shattered the universe by not only replying to this dusty topic, but also by beginning a sentence with 'And' :p
:lol: I've not tried any of the latest two "Leisure Suit Larry" games.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

*hands SierraDude the Staff of Necromancy +5-Years* ;)
Tawmis wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:01 pm :lol: I've not tried any of the latest two "Leisure Suit Larry" games.
I have. They're ... um, interesting. But I wouldn't play them again. I kind of regret getting them, even on sale. :|

They trade on stereotypes (especially the first one). While all Larry games have stereotypes to some extent, the latest ones turn the notch up to 11, to the point where sometimes it stops being funny and starts being offensive.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rest of this thread was split (due to veering off topic) and moved here.

Return to “The Leisure Suit Larry Series”