The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Re: The D&D Corner

Post by JasefWisener »

Right now, I'm playing with three friends in a 1920s New England setting. One character is a bounty hunter, one is a librarian, and the third is a dentist. The campaign has only been going on for a few weeks now, so they haven't done a ton haha.

The characters were brought together when a mutual acquaintance purchased a house for very cheap that ended up having a complicated history. He hired the three players to investigate the house and see what was going on so he could sell it or rent it, and they found out through an investigation that a member of a cult had owned the house and was now haunting it as some sort of undead being. They found an amulet on the creature's body that they took with them without really knowing why.

A few months later, the man that hired them originally brought them together again to go visit his friend that was dying (he couldn't make the trip) because the friend had something important to give the man. After a disastrous ferry ride that ended up with the players exploring an abandoned lighthouse and encountering some sea monsters, they finally made it to the hospital where the dying friend was staying. He told them that, years ago, he and some friends accidentally summoned an otherworldly creature and bound it to a house far in the woods. The binding would break once all of the summoners were dead, and he was the last one alive. Right before dying, he sent them to go stop the creature. After a bit of investigating, they made it to the house and just barely escaped with their lives right after managing to banish the thing with a ritual. While there, they found a journal that mentioned the father of one of the players (who had disappeared when the PC was a kid in New Orleans). This is going to lead them to New Orleans for their next adventure where they may learn some things about the player's family history!
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The D&D Corner

Post by Tawmis »

JasefWisener wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:31 pm Right now, I'm playing with three friends in a 1920s New England setting. One character is a bounty hunter, one is a librarian, and the third is a dentist. The campaign has only been going on for a few weeks now, so they haven't done a ton haha.

The characters were brought together when a mutual acquaintance purchased a house for very cheap that ended up having a complicated history. He hired the three players to investigate the house and see what was going on so he could sell it or rent it, and they found out through an investigation that a member of a cult had owned the house and was now haunting it as some sort of undead being. They found an amulet on the creature's body that they took with them without really knowing why.

A few months later, the man that hired them originally brought them together again to go visit his friend that was dying (he couldn't make the trip) because the friend had something important to give the man. After a disastrous ferry ride that ended up with the players exploring an abandoned lighthouse and encountering some sea monsters, they finally made it to the hospital where the dying friend was staying. He told them that, years ago, he and some friends accidentally summoned an otherworldly creature and bound it to a house far in the woods. The binding would break once all of the summoners were dead, and he was the last one alive. Right before dying, he sent them to go stop the creature. After a bit of investigating, they made it to the house and just barely escaped with their lives right after managing to banish the thing with a ritual. While there, they found a journal that mentioned the father of one of the players (who had disappeared when the PC was a kid in New Orleans). This is going to lead them to New Orleans for their next adventure where they may learn some things about the player's family history!
This sound pretty epic! Are you playing in person? Or virtually (through Discord and other sources, like Roll20.net)?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Sounds a bit (just a tiny, tiny bit) like Darkest Dungeon! :D (Which isn't surprising, since DD owes a lot to Lovecraft). ;)

Have you played DD before, Jasef? *curious*
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

We're playing over Discord because we're scattered across the country haha.

I've played a little of Darkest Dungeon but not a ton. I did like it a lot though.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

JasefWisener wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 am We're playing over Discord because we're scattered across the country haha.
That's cool! All of my D&D games I run (3 of them) are all through Discord now as well.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Nothing like finishing work at 5pm.

Stretching.

Seeing it's Tuesday.

Waiting... waiting.

Panic.

It's Tuesday! I am running a D&D game!

I've not prepped anything!

Quickly scan the Monster Manual.

- Ghost. Check. Maybe a ghost of a woman with some info for the part.
- Ghouls and Ghasts! Maybe they come up instead of the female spirit if they don't make a good enough Charisma roll? Check!
- Harpies! The ghost woman will lead them to harpies on an island!
- The Harpies have a book they stole - that has info!

Yes! Yes!

And pulled together a story in LESS THAN AN HOUR.

And an incredible time was had! :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

After almost 2 years - my face to face game ("The Anita Group" as I call them) - finally got to come together again - and play face to face!
Everyone was vaccinated and good to go!

The entire adventure was combat heavy; because we hadn't played - and most of the players don't play in other D&D games. (Exception being Anita, who plays in another game; and Jessica, who is in two of my other games).

So it was very much centered around doing skill checks, attacks, spells, Advantage/Disadvantage attacks, and using Monsters that invoke savings throws.

Just to get everyone remembering how D&D works.

Still a lot of fun.

http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... arrival-19
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:18 am Nothing like finishing work at 5pm.

Stretching.

Seeing it's Tuesday.

Waiting... waiting.

Panic.

It's Tuesday! I am running a D&D game!

I've not prepped anything!

Quickly scan the Monster Manual.

- Ghost. Check. Maybe a ghost of a woman with some info for the part.
- Ghouls and Ghasts! Maybe they come up instead of the female spirit if they don't make a good enough Charisma roll? Check!
- Harpies! The ghost woman will lead them to harpies on an island!
- The Harpies have a book they stole - that has info!

Yes! Yes!

And pulled together a story in LESS THAN AN HOUR.

And an incredible time was had! :D
You finished work at 5pm? Lu-cky! :P

There are some days (and today was one example) when I can't even get off my chair for hours on end. Ah, the joys of working from home and being on call. ;) And some days (like today) when I have to work extra time for no pay. Drat it. :evil: Rarely more than 30 minutes, but still. Drat it. :evil:

I've had one or two times when people called me after hours and wanted to do business. Sorry, no can do. (One person even called me at 9:30pm. Hey, I'm watching TV. Call back tomorrow). :P
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Comments on the adventure ...

1. Rescuing kids from a bunch of hags. Why does this remind me of Trump-people chanting "BAG THE HAGS!" *shudder* :shock:

2. Um, the plot seems to be a take on Santa Claus again? ;)

3. Nikalos says he was robbed of his "Rudy of Levitation". I think you mean "Ruby", unless Sierra Chest is levitating now! :)

Twirpo offers to remain behind and use her Wizardry abilities (and her general love of simply burning things)...
Some people like to watch the world burn. :twisted:

5. The Ettin. How to get ahead in D&D ... ^_^

One thing that made me wince: the confusion between "it's" and "its" (e.g. "the yeti and it's master" should be "the yeti and ITS master", i.e. no apostrophe). Sorry - one of my jobs is being a professional editor! ;)

Telling the difference is pretty simple:

1. It's stands for it is. If Calliope yells "It's a yeti!", she's warning others -- "It is a yeti!" -- be on your guard! :)
2. But if the yeti has a master, then: "It's the yeti!" ... "Yeah, and its master!" :)

Think of it this way: you wouldn't say "The yeti and it is master", right? Or "A dog and it is bone". ;) Nope - it's "The yeti and its master"; "A dog and its bone". And so on.
:)

Sorry! I'm an language geek. ;) :ugeek:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 am Comments on the adventure ...
1. Rescuing kids from a bunch of hags. Why does this remind me of Trump-people chanting "BAG THE HAGS!" *shudder* :shock:
2. Um, the plot seems to be a take on Santa Claus again? ;)
3. Nikalos says he was robbed of his "Rudy of Levitation". I think you mean "Ruby", unless Sierra Chest is levitating now! :)
That was recapping the last few adventures, because the game had been on hold for 1.75 years (Jan 2022 would have been 2 years), due to Covid.

You will see where after those recaps it says:
(Caught up – today’s session begins with…)
And yup, meant Ruby.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 am 4.
Twirpo offers to remain behind and use her Wizardry abilities (and her general love of simply burning things)...
Some people like to watch the world burn. :twisted:
When she plays, her answer to everything is a fire spell. :D

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 am One thing that made me wince: the confusion between "it's" and "its" (e.g. "the yeti and it's master" should be "the yeti and ITS master", i.e. no apostrophe).[/spoiler] Sorry - one of my jobs is being a professional editor! ;)
Telling the difference is pretty simple:
1. It's stands for it is. If Calliope yells "It's a yeti!", she's warning others -- "It is a yeti!" -- be on your guard! :)
2. But if the yeti has a master, then: "It's the yeti!" ... "Yeah, and its master!" :)
Think of it this way: you wouldn't say "The yeti and it is master", right? Or "A dog and it is bone". ;) Nope - it's "The yeti and its master"; "A dog and its bone". And so on. :)
Sorry! I'm an language geek. ;) :ugeek:
I definitely know the difference; however the downside of typing notes at 1am, is that I make typos like Ruby vs Rudy, and its vs it's. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

No worries. I totally understand -- typing things at 1am is not the same as reading them at 8pm (as I did last night). :)

Like I said, I'm a language (and editing) geek. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:22 pm No worries. I totally understand -- typing things at 1am is not the same as reading them at 8pm (as I did last night). :)
Like I said, I'm a language (and editing) geek. ;)
Yeah; for the game I do in person, I have to do the notes that night, or I will forget things.

The other games I run are all recorded in audio through Discord. So I can get to those notes whenever.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I still love old skewl D&D art.
Attachments
DnD_OldSkewl_Art.png

Return to “Community Games”