Police Quest II Play Through.

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Police Quest II Play Through.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

"Man this place has changed..." :lol:

The computer DOS prompt is a throwback. I remember those (mostly because I still use CMD from time to time) ;)

"The BAIN of my existence" *groan* ;)

Jesse James. :) I was reading a book about him last week. Maybe the name psychically travelled across from my book to your house? :lol: Probably not :P

Isn't it funny Keith does nothing all day ... and isn't reprimanded? And how, when the boss tells you that Bains escaped, Keith doesn't jump to his feet and yell "Let's go, Sonny" or similar, but continues to put his feet up and smoke? :P

:lol: The detectives keep all the passwords written down on a bit of paper. How very secure. :P

Thanks, Keith! :lol:

Damn it if we get her name we can look up her license ... :lol:

Mario's definitely an Italian name (means "Hammer") But ... :lol: love your over-the-top Italian accent. Reminds me of the Italian Chef from The Simpsons. "You trust-a Mario, 'e do right by you, eh?" *goes back to the kitchen* "Ey, Luigi! Open up-a can-o tomato paste for Mistah No-Tip and the zombie dat he dug up, eh?" :P

Oh dear. Marie's number ... 555-4169. ;) Could be just a random number, of course ... but I guess you're right. Sierra wouldn't have just picked a random number if they could get away with an inside joke. Crap flying under the radar. :P

Day 2 ... professional hit! Another victim! And Keith's just smoking with his feet up. What a slacker. :P

Oh, gawd ... :lol: It's-a office-a Mario again, eh? I see-a lotta blood! :lol: If dis-a keep goin'-onna, I'm gonna da kitchen-a and make-a pizza, eh? You don't-a come inna kitchen when I make-a pizza 'cos I got-a big sharp chef's-a knife, eh? :roll: (Sorry. I know that absolutely ZERO Italian people speak that way. It's a ridiculous stereotype).

By the way, did it strike you that "Officer Mario" wasn't exactly helpful? "I see a lot of blood". Thank you, Captain Obvious. But then, no-one in that scene was helpful ... especially the coroner. :lol: Why isn't he taking the body? Because he's a slacker. Like Keith. And Mario. :lol:

Love how Keith does absolutely nothing and has no information to add. For a detective, he does very little detecting (except about his wife and so on). ;)

Warrant. Keith. JUST WORK WITH ME. :lol: Nope, he won't do anything. He's the Police Officer Who Doesn't Do Anything. :lol: Is it "radio dispatch for search warrant"? Maybe? WE NEED A WARRANT PEOPLE! :lol: Why is this so hard? ;)

Love how the motel guy doesn't even move or say anything when you destroy his room. :lol: Then you talk to him and he's fuming. "You dudes won't get away with this!" Uh, we just did. Firing tear gas into a room isn't normal procedure, but opening a door and getting shot at isn't normal either. :P

Back at the station. Keith has his feet up on the captain's desk now. :shock: You'd think the captain would yell "Keith! Get your goddamned feet off my desk, ya slacker! And get to work!" :P Nope, the captain is chill. And you're the only one who does anything. :P

Colby's in a Witness Protection Program. Great. He's a dead man. :P

Why is Keith searching Marie's bedroom? Maybe because he's got some kind of kink? Or maybe he's shady?

Sonny can't even fly anywhere without something happening. Terrorists. Bombs. Search the turban? :shock:

Huzzah! You found Marie in the sewers ... and a very fancy computer. In a sewer. :lol: It looks like something from Star Trek. How the heck did Jessie Bains get through the cloud of methane gas without a gas mask?

Thanks, Tawm! It's been fun. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm "Man this place has changed..." :lol:
They spruced it up!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm "The BAIN of my existence" *groan* ;)
I had to. :)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Jesse James. :) I was reading a book about him last week. Maybe the name psychically travelled across from my book to your house? :lol: Probably not :P
I think because both were "villains" - Jesse James came into my head.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm :lol: The detectives keep all the passwords written down on a bit of paper. How very secure. :P
And just on their desk in plain sight.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Thanks, Keith! :lol:
I can't count how many times I verbally said that as I was originally playing (probably a few times on the commentary version. I know I typed it a few times) :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Damn it if we get her name we can look up her license ... :lol:
Seemed logical. And they throw it out the window.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Mario's definitely an Italian name (means "Hammer") But ... :lol: love your over-the-top Italian accent. Reminds me of the Italian Chef from The Simpsons. "You trust-a Mario, 'e do right by you, eh?" *goes back to the kitchen* "Ey, Luigi! Open up-a can-o tomato paste for Mistah No-Tip and the zombie dat he dug up, eh?" :P
:lol: Accurate.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Oh dear. Marie's number ... 555-4169. ;) Could be just a random number, of course ... but I guess you're right. Sierra wouldn't have just picked a random number if they could get away with an inside joke. Crap flying under the radar. :P
And it could just be my dirty mind. But when I saw the number, I immediately remembered "Call Marie FOR ONE 69." (And knew all the other area codes would be 555)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm By the way, did it strike you that "Officer Mario" wasn't exactly helpful? "I see a lot of blood". Thank you, Captain Obvious. But then, no-one in that scene was helpful ... especially the coroner. :lol: Why isn't he taking the body? Because he's a slacker. Like Keith. And Mario. :lol:
Considering he's at two of the scenes, and useless in both, didn't pass me by. :D

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Warrant. Keith. JUST WORK WITH ME. :lol: Nope, he won't do anything. He's the Police Officer Who Doesn't Do Anything. :lol: Is it "radio dispatch for search warrant"? Maybe? WE NEED A WARRANT PEOPLE! :lol: Why is this so hard? ;)
You can see the frustration in my typing as I am trying to get the warrant. :lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Back at the station. Keith has his feet up on the captain's desk now. :shock: You'd think the captain would yell "Keith! Get your goddamned feet off my desk, ya slacker! And get to work!" :P Nope, the captain is chill. And you're the only one who does anything. :P
Seriously.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Colby's in a Witness Protection Program. Great. He's a dead man. :P
In witness protection. But Police have a file on that. And I found him with 411.
Seems legit. Totally safe. How would Bains ever find him.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Huzzah! You found Marie in the sewers ... and a very fancy computer. In a sewer. :lol: It looks like something from Star Trek. How the heck did Jessie Bains get through the cloud of methane gas without a gas mask?
It was a big cabinet; could have been a second gas mask. But why aren't those by the entrance right when you come in?
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Thanks, Tawm! It's been fun. :)
Thank you for watching and commenting (here) :)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Just got through your commentary video. Just a few random comments:

Does it bother anyone that Sonny getting the password to the personnel records and going through everyone's files is a huge invasion of privacy and highly unethical. And the files aren't just there for "world building" (like the extra files in homicide or narcotics), he uses the information to help out Pratt.

I also hated the "unlock door"/"open door" thing with the car. And it only does it at the police station. It's just an unnecessary extra step. You have the key, just have it unlock if it is in you possession.

In the beginning, there is some sort of timer that starts when the captain tells you to go to jail. He will call you back to the office and chew you out if you don't make it to the jail shortly after he tells you to go.

Why are the people at Top Hat Rent-a-Car dressed as turtles (and have a turtle logo)?

Another issue with Colby in witness protection. Bains had his business card (how?) so Bains knows exactly where to find him. In fact, that's where Sonny got the number from. Sonny should have communicated this to him and Colby should have been more concerned.

You need to adjust the second time because they get knocked out of whack during the motel scene ("Trained reflexes throw you back, slamming your gun hand against the wall."). Unfortunately, it never actually tells you the sights are off and I don't think you learn they are off until the hijacking.

So where did you get the remote control graphic from?

You are on 3-days leave while they investigate the shooting with Bains, but what about the hijackers?
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:32 pm Mario's definitely an Italian name (means "Hammer") But ... :lol: love your over-the-top Italian accent. Reminds me of the Italian Chef from The Simpsons. "You trust-a Mario, 'e do right by you, eh?" *goes back to the kitchen* "Ey, Luigi! Open up-a can-o tomato paste for Mistah No-Tip and the zombie dat he dug up, eh?" :P
Mario means "hammer"? That's interesting. Before becoming a plumber in Super Mario Bros., Mario was a carpenter in Donkey Kong. He smashed things with a mallet.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm Just got through your commentary video. Just a few random comments:
Does it bother anyone that Sonny getting the password to the personnel records and going through everyone's files is a huge invasion of privacy and highly unethical. And the files aren't just there for "world building" (like the extra files in homicide or narcotics), he uses the information to help out Pratt.
It's true. He helps Pratt - when Pratt should have been like, "How do you know about this?"

Although, technically - just like any job - there's gossip. So Sonny probably WOULD have heard something; and this was a way of showing that the world around Sonny has things going on.
notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm I also hated the "unlock door"/"open door" thing with the car. And it only does it at the police station. It's just an unnecessary extra step. You have the key, just have it unlock if it is in you possession.
Yes, this was just illogical. I get it if you don't have the key.
notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm In the beginning, there is some sort of timer that starts when the captain tells you to go to jail. He will call you back to the office and chew you out if you don't make it to the jail shortly after he tells you to go.
Yup. Saw that happen. :D
notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm Why are the people at Top Hat Rent-a-Car dressed as turtles (and have a turtle logo)?
Not sure. lol
Hopefully it's not what Urban Dictionary suggests.

Although with comments from the employees like, "Is my boss in trouble again"....
notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm Another issue with Colby in witness protection. Bains had his business card (how?) so Bains knows exactly where to find him. In fact, that's where Sonny got the number from. Sonny should have communicated this to him and Colby should have been more concerned.
Yeah - I think I said that in the commentary. "I found you. Because he found you." :D
notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm You need to adjust the second time because they get knocked out of whack during the motel scene ("Trained reflexes throw you back, slamming your gun hand against the wall."). Unfortunately, it never actually tells you the sights are off and I don't think you learn they are off until the hijacking.
Ah! Good catch!
notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm So where did you get the remote control graphic from?
I believe it's from LSLV or LSLVI.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm
Mario means "hammer"? That's interesting. Before becoming a plumber in Super Mario Bros., Mario was a carpenter in Donkey Kong. He smashed things with a mallet.
Oops! :shock: Sorry, my bad. That's what I get for hurrying ... I simply relied on the first website that google threw my way when I googled "meaning of name mario". :)

When I looked it up on BehindTheName.com (a website I thoroughly trust and recommend, by the way), I found this:

Mario. Italian and Spanish form of Marius. Famous bearers include American racecar driver Mario Andretti (1940-) and Canadian hockey player Mario Lemieux (1965-). It is also borne by a Nintendo video game character, a mustached Italian plumber, who debuted as the playable hero of Shigeru Miyamoto's Donkey Kong in 1981. He was reportedly named after Mario Segale (1934-2018), an American businessman who rented a warehouse to Nintendo.

So I looked up "Marius", and found:

Marius. Roman family name that was derived either from Mars, the Roman god of War, or else from the Latin root maris meaning "sea". Gaius Marius was a famous Roman consul of the 2nd century BC. Since the start of the Christian era, it has occasionally been used as a masculine form of Maria.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting. Sorry to digress. :)

Return to “The Police Quest Series”