Island of Doctor Brain (Dr. Brain) Music

Banging your head trying to solve the riddles in any of the many Doctor Brain series? Come here - and let us know - someone's bound to have the answer... right?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Island of Doctor Brain (Dr. Brain) Music

Post by Tawmis »

Today's video -

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Island of Doctor Brain (Dr. Brain) Music

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Sigh. I will have to play this game sometime, i guess (I missed my chance way back when), but I don't think this game is even available. Is it?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:39 am Sigh. I will have to play this game sometime, i guess (I missed my chance way back when), but I don't think this game is even available. Is it?
I am surprised it's not on GoG yet; but yeah, it's not there.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Gee, I see it's on Amazon (here: https://www.amazon.com/Island-Dr-Brain-Pc/dp/B0007YAYNW), but it's not on either GoG or Steam.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:shock: I didn't realise there were so many Dr Brain games. I'll upvote them all, but I have to go to work soon. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Yeah some are duplicates of the same game title; but I upvoted them all and commented in each of them (pretty much copy and paste into each one). Just so it looks like it had some recent activity in it.
BlueBMW
Noob

Post by BlueBMW »

What soundcard are you using in this video?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BlueBMW wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:03 pm What soundcard are you using in this video?
These were not captured from my own soundcard.

I can't even remember where I got the music for Island of Doctor Brain.

There used to be a site called "Quest Studios" - some (maybe all?) has been moved to another site. But the "Island of Doctor Brain" music isn't there.

So for the life of me, I don't recall where I got the music. I have had a ton of Sierra soundtracks saved on my computer for a long time and finally took to uploading them on my Let's Play Channel.
BlueBMW
Noob

Post by BlueBMW »

That's been one of the trickiest parts with trying to play games of this vintage on any sort of emulator like DOSBox. You remember how a game sounded and emulated sound cards just never sound quite right. It forces me to keep the old machines running I suppose.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BlueBMW wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 pm That's been one of the trickiest parts with trying to play games of this vintage on any sort of emulator like DOSBox. You remember how a game sounded and emulated sound cards just never sound quite right. It forces me to keep the old machines running I suppose.
True. I had a x486-33mhz running until a few years ago.

For me, I remember it was either ADLIB or SB16, because that's all I could afford. My friend Shawn - his father (who I have to thank for getting me into Sierra games and computers) - had the full set up in his office, with Roland and such.

So more times than not we played at my friend Shawn's house, late at night/early into the morning when his father went to sleep.
BlueBMW
Noob

Post by BlueBMW »

I always had whatever cheap card came with whatever computer we had at the time. Eventually we upgraded to a sound blaster 16 / awe32 of some sort. Now that I'm older, I've found a few of the old Roland devices to play around with. Some games its quite the leap from adlib/sb16 to say an MT32 or SC55 module.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BlueBMW wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:17 pm I always had whatever cheap card came with whatever computer we had at the time. Eventually we upgraded to a sound blaster 16 / awe32 of some sort. Now that I'm older, I've found a few of the old Roland devices to play around with. Some games its quite the leap from adlib/sb16 to say an MT32 or SC55 module.
I would love to get my hands on an MT32 device.
BlueBMW
Noob

Post by BlueBMW »

Seems that MT32s have gone way up lately. They were under $100 some years back but now people want several hundred for them it seems. I had one briefly but I also had a CM-64 module which covered everything the MT32 did so the MT32 went to a friend. I suppose I should have kept it :( I'll keep my eyes out for another unit at a reasonable price though.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

At least Munt is damned close to the real thing. I have a real MT-32 and there is so little difference that I rarely use. I don't want it to get burnt up.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Return to “Doctor Brain Games”