Space Quest V Music.

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Space Quest V Music.

Post by Tawmis »

Just in time, today's release on my Let's Play Sierra Games channel was the music for SQV.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Space Quest V Music.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, yep ...

1. Theme
2. Spaceship Simulator
3. Music in the corridors
4. Polish the floor
5. Final Exam (floating examiner behind you)
6. ? (About 9:55) It rings a bell, but I can't remember. Is this the music for Captain Jerkface? :P
7. Sigh. This is the "polish the floor" music - so what is #4? :|
8. (starts 13:44) Sorry, no idea what this is.

I never make it past the female terminator, so I've no idea what happens after that. SQ games are difficult.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:26 am Ah, yep ...

1. Theme
2. Spaceship Simulator
3. Music in the corridors
4. Polish the floor
5. Final Exam (floating examiner behind you)
6. ? (About 9:55) It rings a bell, but I can't remember. Is this the music for Captain Jerkface? :P
7. Sigh. This is the "polish the floor" music - so what is #4? :|
8. (starts 13:44) Sorry, no idea what this is.

I never make it past the female terminator, so I've no idea what happens after that. SQ games are difficult.
They can be very difficult and unforgiving sometimes. :D

Track 01 Sierra Fanfare
Track 02 Introduction
Track 03 Opening Scenes
Track 04 Starcom Academy Aptitude Test
Track 05 Restart-Restore-Quit
Track 06 Academy Crest
Track 07 Ambassador Wankmeister
Track 08 Graduation Day
Track 09 Spike
Track 10 Maggot To Dungheap
Track 11 WD-40 (Kiz Uragubi)
Track 12 The Space Bar
Track 13 Battle Cruiser Game
Track 14 The Brig
Track 15 Space Monkeys
Track 16 Starcom Central, Please Hold
Track 17 Planetside
Track 18 Beatrice Infected
Track 19 Goliath Attacks
Track 20 The Pod
Track 21 Genetix Research Lab
Track 22 Bea Is Saved
Track 23 Quirk’s Escape (The Final Countdown)
Track 24 Closing Theme
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Out of interest, which SQ game did you think was the most difficult? I thought SQ6 to be more forgiving than most. ;)

Personally, here's my list (most difficult to least)

1. SQ2 is the most difficult (mostly because of that plant maze - plus a TON of ways to die) ;)
2. SQ5 came next (female terminator -- should it be terminatrix, maybe? -- always kills me).
3. SQ4 (the beginning - especially the music during the Xenon sequences is stressful). *hates zombies that pop up out of nowhere* :P
4. SQ3 (because of Phleebut sequences)
5. SQ1 (not all that difficult)
6. SQ6 (you have loads of time to think about what you're going to do next) ;)

What's your view? :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:21 pm Hmm. Out of interest, which SQ game did you think was the most difficult? I thought SQ6 to be more forgiving than most. ;)
1. SQ2 is the most difficult (mostly because of that plant maze - plus a TON of ways to die) ;)
2. SQ5 came next (female terminator -- should it be terminatrix, maybe? -- always kills me).
3. SQ4 (the beginning - especially the music during the Xenon sequences is stressful). *hates zombies that pop up out of nowhere* :P
SQ4 - for the Skate-A-Rama.
SQ1 - Because it felt raw. And stairs.
SQ2 - Because lots of death.
SQ3 - Some difficult spots.
SQ5 - Seems pretty easy. (I've not replayed it in a LONG time but about to)
SQ6 - I can't even remember many deaths.
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:26 am
Hint: Time to watch some "Beverly Hills Cop"... :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:49 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:21 pm Hmm. Out of interest, which SQ game did you think was the most difficult? I thought SQ6 to be more forgiving than most. ;)
SQ4 - for the Skate-A-Rama.
SQ1 - Because it felt raw. And stairs.
SQ2 - Because lots of death.
SQ3 - Some difficult spots.
SQ5 - Seems pretty easy. (I've not replayed it in a LONG time but about to)
SQ6 - I can't even remember many deaths.
Hmm ... SQ6 doesn't have as many deaths, it's true. But you can still die in SQ6 if -- just for a goof you do something truly boneheaded. :P Especially inside Stellar's body.

Did you have a lot of trouble with the Xenon zombies at the start of SQ4? When I was on the edge of some screens, I could never see those zombies coming. So, when the game cut away to the zombies yelling at me, it always came as a shock. (In fact, the first time this happened, I almost jumped in my seat and thought "What the HELL is that?!") :shock: :P

SQ1 did feel quite raw, true. Then again, it was the Two Guys' first try at this. ;) After I consulted a guide, though, it turned out to be not-so-difficult after all. ;)

Just wondering why you picked SQ4 as the hardest. What was it about the Skate-O-Rama that was so difficult? It only took me about 3-4 tries before I got it. :) For me, the Xenon part was much harder.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:03 am Just wondering why you picked SQ4 as the hardest. What was it about the Skate-O-Rama that was so difficult? It only took me about 3-4 tries before I got it. :) For me, the Xenon part was much harder.
Did you watch the video? It took QUITE a few tries. Then when I got out, there seemed to be a random chance of Sequel Police to appear outside and shoot Roger.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah. Yes, I watched the video - but after I replied here. So ... ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:37 pm Ah. Yes, I watched the video - but after I replied here. So ... ;)
What I dislike about the Skate-a-rama is unlike... say the hover craft (whatever it was called) in SQ3 where you have to dodge the rocks - you can take a few hits with that. With this - there's always TWO Sequel Police on the screen - and each take a shot - and even if you're moving you can get hit. And one hit equals instant death. So take that x2 ... on two screens (both upper screens) - plus when you FIRST enter, there's a sequel police shooting at you that can hit and kill you before you get to the top. Add to the mess that - while feverishly clicking to the top to float up there on time, you may inadvertently click the menu and suddenly rather than the MOVE icon, Roger has the TASTE icon. And ceases moving. Then, should you avoid the cop shooting at you when you first enter, avoid the two cops who shoot at you at the top - then go down, left, up again, avoid the cops two more times, float down - exit - there seems to be a random chance of a Sequel Police waiting to shoot you when you exit.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Aren't the odds always against you in Space Quest games? The greater the odds, the greater the glory, and all that rubbish. ;)

But I agree (and yes, I now remember how frustrating the skate-a-rama was). Even slowing the game down doesn't help; I tried slowing it down as much as it would go, but those cops would still shoot Roger while I was trying feverishly to escape.

IIRC, I used the keyboard keys to move Roger, rather than the mouse. I also slowed the game down to half-way between slowest and fastest. Using both methods together, I eventually escaped. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:03 am Hmm. Aren't the odds always against you in Space Quest games? The greater the odds, the greater the glory, and all that rubbish. ;)
But I agree (and yes, I now remember how frustrating the skate-a-rama was). Even slowing the game down doesn't help; I tried slowing it down as much as it would go, but those cops would still shoot Roger while I was trying feverishly to escape.
IIRC, I used the keyboard keys to move Roger, rather than the mouse. I also slowed the game down to half-way between slowest and fastest. Using both methods together, I eventually escaped. :)
Heh, ironically - when I slowed it down - I found myself dying every time. It was speeding it up to maximum that helped me get away. Because it felt more fluid when I was trying to make him move, while floating. In my commentary, I even recommend against slowing it down. :D
rogerwilco
Noob

Post by rogerwilco »

Thanks for the background music for today's work! Much appreciated.

I also watched your let's play - great stuff indeed and I too am not a fan of the fly bit. It's refreshing to see I'm not the only one who get frustrated at the same bits :D

Related to this music thread, I'm wondering if anyone happens to have, or know where I could find/extract, the sound effect for the SQ5 'points award' chime at all?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

rogerwilco wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:54 pm Thanks for the background music for today's work! Much appreciated.
I also watched your let's play - great stuff indeed and I too am not a fan of the fly bit. It's refreshing to see I'm not the only one who get frustrated at the same bits :D
Related to this music thread, I'm wondering if anyone happens to have, or know where I could find/extract, the sound effect for the SQ5 'points award' chime at all?
Thanks for checking out the video! Don't forget to like and subscribe! ;)

As for extracting music - this may work -
http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 517#p88517

Return to “The Space Quest Series”