Serious Question: Influencers?

Talk about anything you want here
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Serious Question: Influencers?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

My question is simple: is there a relationship between "influencers" (whoever/whatever they might be) and QAnon etc.?

Google defines "influencer" as "a person with the ability to influence potential buyers of a product or service by promoting or recommending the items on social media." Obviously that definition is a little narrow - I mean, what gives any person this "ability"? A person might be an expert, but he/she could just easily ... well ... not be. How can anyone - a consumer, a critic, anyone at all - know that this "influencer" is really an expert? (Apart from doing research, obviously).

That leads on to the second part of the question: is there a link between "influencers" and QAnon? I'm aware that most, if not all, members of QAnon are members of the extreme far-right (but I'll stay out of their politics; anyone curious can check them out on Wikipedia).

I'm also sure that at least some members of QAnon are either influencers themselves, or have used other influencers to promote their agenda. That doesn't mean that all influencers are members of QAnon, obviously.

Also, what's the difference between "influencers" and plain old marketing (e.g. on radio, TV etc.)? Yes, many "influencers" use websites like YouTube, Instagram etc. to promote a product. Isn't that the same as marketing? If so, why do we need a new word for it? *shrug*

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious. Thanks! :)

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”