If they'd made a second (then a third... so on and so on) of Freddy Pharkas...

Feelin' like the ol' west is about ta get the best o' ya, partner? Well, come get your prescription of help in these forums for Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

If they'd made a second (then a third... so on and so on) of Freddy Pharkas...

Post by Tawmis »

... what are some things you would have liked to have seen?

Maybe story wise?
Character wise?
Voice actors?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: If they'd made a second (then a third... so on and so on) of Freddy Pharkas...

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm, I don't know. I think Freddy Pharkas (as it is) wrapped up quite nicely.

Consider that FP was Al Lowe's take on "Blazing Saddles", and you realise that since one game told the whole story, there is no need for a second game. :)

Also, the fact that FP was the game equivalent of "Blazing Saddles" explains an awful lot. The fart puzzle, for example. ;) Also, the crooked outsider looking to run everyone out of town. All this game needed was a Madeline Kahn look-a-like singing the equivalent of "I'm Tired", or a strongman looking to pound Freddy into the ground, and it'd be even closer.

On the other hand, Blazing Saddles does a lot of funny things that FP doesn't (and vice versa).

So what's next? Perhaps, in the wake of Freddy's triumph, the crooked sheriff is run out of town on a rail, and Srini (Freddy's Indian helper) is elected sheriff (like Black Bart was at the start of "Blazing Saddles"). But the good townsfolk of Coarsegold aren't ready to accept an Indian sheriff ... cue ugly Old West-style racism ... until Srini (with Freddy's help) save the town! :D And then ... who knows, but it could be fun!

Yes, I know the racism could be a problem. But let's face it, the Old West was racist by 21st century standards. Ignoring it won't make it go away. A character can make the occasional racist remark (keeping it within 19th-century standards) and still be, on the whole, a sympathetic character - as long as he realises it and changes. (If he doesn't, he is a minor villain).

What else can we have? Perhaps Coarsegold prospers after the end of FP1 (and the expulsion of the banker, and the hiring of a new banker). At the end of FP1, they strike oil. Maybe they could use it in unexpected ways (e.g. try to use it as salad oil, but -- ugh -- disgusting! This black stuff will never amount to anything! Cue misunderstanding -- someone thinks that the above comment about "black stuff" is racist, which of course it's not). :P

And so on, and so on ...

Return to “Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist”