If Leisure Suit Larry would have continued...

Slipping into your Leisure Suit? Need tips? Or just want to discuss Leisure Suit Larry (Ladies, try to keep the swooning to a minimum, please!) - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

If Leisure Suit Larry would have continued...

Post by Tawmis »

... with Larry Laffer, specifically... (for me, anyway, but this first post isn't about what I want...)

... what are some things you would have liked to have seen?

Maybe story wise?
Character wise?
Voice actors?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: If Leisure Suit Larry would have continued...

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Firstly, let's expunge "Magna Cum Laude" as one of Larry's bad acid dreams. :P

Secondly ... we need an excuse for Larry and Captain Thygh (from LSL7) to break up. LSL7 ends with them together, because Larry has all that stock in oil tankers. (Stock certificates?! But he wanted to get laid!!!) :P

Story-wise ... well, gee -- most Larry games don't really have much of a story, except getting Larry into new locales where he can meet some beautiful ladies and (fail to) get laid. :P The strongest Larry games, from my POV, are LSL2 (because of the "Soviet spy" angle) and LSL3 (once Patty becomes involved).

So ... let's take Patty (and forget the whole FBI angle, and DEFINITELY forget the break-in she committed at K-RAP records ... for obvious reasons ... ugh). Larry and Patty meet at the end of LSL5, but -- and for reasons that are never explained -- they are not back together again at the start of LSL6. I get it, game reasons, Larry has to be single, blah blah blah. ;)

So, maybe Larry finally realises that Patty is "the one", but Patty doesn't have much time for him. (Typical Larry situation). What's Patty doing these days? She's told the FBI to get stuffed, and is working as a bar pianist again. Should be easy for Larry, right? But Patty doesn't want to be with him any more.

Or, perhaps, she does ... but every time Larry gets into an embarrassing situation with another lady, Patty walks in. "I thought you changed!" / "Baby, if you just let me explain--" / "I don't want to hear it! Same old Larry!" *slam*

Poor Larry. Can't impress Patty. Can't impress anyone. :P But with every "meeting" he has with beautiful ladies, he gets a piece of random crap, which he ingeniously (or luckily) uses to impress Patty ... or at least convince her that he's changed.

By the end of the game, it's revealed that, thanks to Larry and Patty's time together between LSL3 and LSL4, Patty is pregnant ... and Larry's the father.

Oh noes! Has Larry really changed? Can he really change (a diaper)? If not, then Patty will be a single mother ... and Larry is doomed to be an eternal swinger, and his only date will be with Rosie Palm and her five lovely daughters. (Sad ending).

So, Larry has to convince Patty that he has changed -- and is ready to be a daddy. Can he do it? Will the everlasting bachelor shed his ways and settle down? (Does a bear go to the toilet in the woods?) :P

There's the story and the main characters. As for the supporting characters ... let's please make them more than one-dimensional caricatures.

I've no idea about voice actors, sorry.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:46 am Hmm. Firstly, let's expunge "Magna Cum Laude" as one of Larry's bad acid dreams. :P
So ... let's take Patty (and forget the whole FBI angle, and DEFINITELY forget the break-in she committed at K-RAP records ... for obvious reasons ... ugh). Larry and Patty meet at the end of LSL5, but -- and for reasons that are never explained -- they are not back together again at the start of LSL6. I get it, game reasons, Larry has to be single, blah blah blah. ;)
I would erase Leisure Suit Larry V, entirely. For that scene, and just overall, a very bad game.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:46 am So, maybe Larry finally realises that Patty is "the one", but Patty doesn't have much time for him. (Typical Larry situation). What's Patty doing these days? She's told the FBI to get stuffed, and is working as a bar pianist again. Should be easy for Larry, right? But Patty doesn't want to be with him any more.
I would actually love to see some change in Larry; but then that really breaks his whole character (of being a loser, trying to score, etc).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well, here's the thing. Maybe Larry's tired of being seen as a loser, and wants to change. Everyone EXPECTS him to be a loser (Patty included). But Larry doesn't want to be one.

Can Larry change? Or is he destined to remain a loser? There's the conflict! :D You need a good conflict to make a story. If there's no conflict, there's no story. All the little "get Item X to make Lady Y 'fall in love' with Larry" - that's just mini-conflicts, because Lady Y will break up with Larry in a minute or two. The Larry-Patty dynamic is what's important.

How will it go? Who knows. That's up to Al Lowe! :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I think it would have been awesome, after Leisure Suit Larry 7 - leave the whole Larry and Captain Thygh a mystery, and go back and do Leisure Suit Larry IV, and uncover how Larry and Patty parted ways, leaving people now wondering what happened to Larry and Captain Thygh! :D

Return to “The Leisure Suit Larry Series”