What? No "What if Betrayal In Antara" got a sequel thread?...

Before there was Game of Thrones, there was the Krondor series! Feeling betrayed? Defend the throne! Post your questions, comments and concerns here in regards to the Krondor series!
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

What? No "What if Betrayal In Antara" got a sequel thread?...

Post by goatmeal »

A number of years ago, I wrote a fan-fiction stand-alone short story that's somewhat of an epilogue/follow-up to BIA, but it still needs more focus and polish before I'm ready to reveal it...

Maybe this will spur me on to finally finish it. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: What? No "What if Betrayal In Antara" got a sequel thread?...

Post by Tawmis »

goatmeal wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:36 am A number of years ago, I wrote a fan-fiction stand-alone short story that's somewhat of an epilogue/follow-up to BIA, but it still needs more focus and polish before I'm ready to reveal it...

Maybe this will spur me on to finally finish it. :)
Hah! I only posted threads I have played (and can speak to, even if it'd been awhile!) - the last time I'd played Betrayal was probably when it first came out!

As for the fanfic - I say do it! Or at least post what you have so far!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Well, there is Return to Krondor.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:40 pm
Hah! I only posted threads I have played (and can speak to, even if it'd been awhile!) - the last time I'd played Betrayal was probably when it first came out!

As for the fanfic - I say do it! Or at least post what you have so far!
Only kidding -- I know you didn't make them for every game. And I know BIA is DEFINITELY not one of the beloved Sierra games; there are A LOT of problems with it (graphics, gameplay, storyline, etc.), but for some reason it still holds a special place in my heart.

A little over 10 years ago, I started doing a comprehensive deep-dive into the game. Since it is an SCI game, I was able to extract lots of data (text and pictures). While I still revisit the project(s) from time to time to update/make further progress, here's what I have so far:

1. A completed game script / the entire story text in chronological form -- I have yet to finish editing Chapter 9 (the final chapter). I need to wander/explore that level to ensure I have everything and that it's in the correct order

2. Extracted the overhead screen maps and made one massive overworld map

3. A few overhead maps do not match the landmarks of the 3-D structures of the "on the ground"/first-person gameplay perspective, so I have fixed those extracted maps; some are missing structures, while others are just incorrect. For example, one building in NE Ticoro (Chapter 3) -- where you meet a mother dealing with a bunch of unruly kids (I've dubbed that one "Woman -- Harried with Children") -- is the incorrect shape

And while the art department made a valiant effort, some of the overhead maps don't line up exactly when put together, like the mismatched shoreline along the road between Briala and Bakril

In the southeast Antara Mountains, several pathways are missing -- you can actually travel through the paths in this area, but the overhead map shows your party marker moving through solid rock...

4. An "ultimate" walkthrough guide in TXT format

5. An "ultimate" overworld map using the in-game overhead maps (#2 above), with every building, interaction, and point of interest labeled

6. User-enhanced maps from the original in-game overworld map, such as a map with more geography labels, and a map of the stagecoach/carriage routes

=== ORIGINAL IN-GAME MAP ===

7. Over the last year, I've also begun dabbling with AI enhancing and up-sizing the overhead maps...
Last edited by goatmeal on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Collector wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:52 pm Well, there is Return to Krondor.
True, but that's the sequel to Betrayal At Krondor.

For those who don't know, Betrayal In Antara was a whole new fantasy world created by Sierra because they no longer held the rights to Raymond E. Feist's literary properties to make a true follow-up to BAK. When the company making RTK fell on hard times, Sierra swooped in to buy it up, thus bringing the game back under the Sierra banner. Betrayal In Antara is the game "in-between" those two...

BIA is a completely different franchise than BAK/RTK, and aside from updated(?) game mechanics from BAK, there is nothing connecting the world of Antara to the world of Midkemia.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I had no idea about those, but then I never played them. (Never read Feist, either; wasn't much into Feist). Thanks, goatmeal. :)

Oh -- and suddenly I have this mental image of Elvis singing "Return to Krondor" (to the tune of "Return to Sender"). :D Unfortunately I don't know anything about Krondor, but feel free to use the idea and create your own parody. Have fun :)
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

I only got into Feist because of Betrayal at Krondor. It was such a well-written game that I wanted to read more.

I've read about half of the series (through the Riftwar Saga). Sadly, I haven't made much time for reading over the past 20 years, book-wise, so I'm looking forward to finishing the other 14(!) books in my old(er) years...

Something to look forward to, I suppose...

Return to “The Krondor Series”