If Space Quest would have continued...

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

If Space Quest would have continued...

Post by Tawmis »

... what are some things you would have liked to have seen?

Maybe story wise?
Character wise?
Voice actors?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: If Space Quest would have continued...

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Let's see. First of all, Space Quest is obviously Sierra's answer to Star Wars (just like Mel Brooks had "Spaceballs").

So ... we start off with Roger Wilco. At the end of SQ6, he and Stellar Santiago has a thing going. (No-one knows what's happened to Beatrice).

If Roger and Stellar keep going the way they're going, then Roger and Beatrice never get together, and the events of SQ4 don't happen. So, for the sake of continuity, Roger and Stellar have to break up. (Step forward, Sludge Vohaul. :P Or Son of Sludge. Or Sludge's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. Or - even simpler - the Kissing Monster from SQ2). :P

How does it happen? Who cares, as long as Stellar is out of the picture and Roger is free to pursue Beatrice once more.

So, Roger and Beatrice go on a honeymoon across the galaxy. But before they can "do the deed" -- Beatrice is kidnapped! (Oh noes!) By whom? Sludge Vohaul, of course. Or Son of Sludge. Or, as above. :P So, off Roger goes to rescue his fiancé. But obviously things are not that easy.

How does it happen? Gee, I don't know. Why do I have to write a whole new Space Quest game? Let the Weird Guys do it. ;) Any ideas?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:09 am If Roger and Stellar keep going the way they're going, then Roger and Beatrice never get together, and the events of SQ4 don't happen. So, for the sake of continuity, Roger and Stellar have to break up. (Step forward, Sludge Vohaul. :P Or Son of Sludge. Or Sludge's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. Or - even simpler - the Kissing Monster from SQ2). :P
I think it would be fun, if Roger's son from SQ4 popped back - jumping through time again, to explain something's broken again.
(Maybe set right the Beatrice/Stellar thing...)
But also - finds himself stuck - and has now manipulate events so that his father and Beatrice get together.
But out to stop him?
None other than, as you said, Sludge Vohaul's son, Alluvium Vohaul!
Play on puns of "Wait, someone actually... had a kid with Sludge?"
And do some Jabba the Hutt type stuff.
Perhaps make references to the 2009 Star Trek Time Travel.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Sigh. I only read the one-paragraph summary of that film (i.e. "Star Trek", 2009), and it sounds, um ... gratuitously stupid. :P
Ambassador Spock is on a lone mission to eliminate a supernova that is a threat to the whole galaxy. His plan is to create a black hole with the help of "Red Matter".
I don't even know where to begin. :roll: A supernova isn't something you can fight, it's what happens when a star (like the sun) explodes, towards the end of its life. In D&D terms, you may as well try to fight Asmodeus ... when you're a level-2 adventurer. (Or a Tarrasque at any level). :roll:

As for "Red Matter" ... I looked this up, and (to quote google): "Red matter was a substance that was created through the processing of decalithium." OK ... lithium is a real substance, obviously. "Deca" means ten (as in decimal, and all that). So "decalithium" is "ten lithium atoms"? *shrug*

All right: in the real world, lithium is a soft silver-white metal, so I can see it being mined. It's used in steel and aluminium production, heat-resistant glass and ceramics, lithium grease lubricants, and (obviously) lithium batteries. So ... OK, decalithium (and bilithium, and trilithium, and red matter) are obviously fictional.

But the rest make even less sense. When a supernova occurs, the original dying star either collapses to form a neutron star or black hole, or is completely destroyed to form a new nebula. So ... even if Spock was in time, and did create a black hole, then the planet Romulus would've been destroyed anyway. So Nero's grudge makes no sense.

Or maybe I'm taking all this way too seriously. :lol: (It happens, I know) :lol:
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:33 pm Sigh. I only read the one-paragraph summary of that film (i.e. "Star Trek", 2009), and it sounds, um ... gratuitously stupid. :P
Ambassador Spock is on a lone mission to eliminate a supernova that is a threat to the whole galaxy. His plan is to create a black hole with the help of "Red Matter".
I don't even know where to begin. :roll: A supernova isn't something you can fight, it's what happens when a star (like the sun) explodes, towards the end of its life. In D&D terms, you may as well try to fight Asmodeus ... when you're a level-2 adventurer. (Or a Tarrasque at any level). :roll:

As for "Red Matter" ... I looked this up, and (to quote google): "Red matter was a substance that was created through the processing of decalithium." OK ... lithium is a real substance, obviously. "Deca" means ten (as in decimal, and all that). So "decalithium" is "ten lithium atoms"? *shrug*

All right: in the real world, lithium is a soft silver-white metal, so I can see it being mined. It's used in steel and aluminium production, heat-resistant glass and ceramics, lithium grease lubricants, and (obviously) lithium batteries. So ... OK, decalithium (and bilithium, and trilithium, and red matter) are obviously fictional.

But the rest make even less sense. When a supernova occurs, the original dying star either collapses to form a neutron star or black hole, or is completely destroyed to form a new nebula. So ... even if Spock was in time, and did create a black hole, then the planet Romulus would've been destroyed anyway. So Nero's grudge makes no sense.

Or maybe I'm taking all this way too seriously. :lol: (It happens, I know) :lol:
My biggest gripes with the supernova thing is that, for one thing, stars don't spontaneously go nova. Like you said, it reaches the end of its life. It's not a surprise when it goes. The second thing is that the explosion can't travel faster than light. In Star Trek, ships can. Since stars are light-years apart from one another, they should have at least several years warning before the explosion arrives.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Back to the thread subject: what if Space Quest had continued?

Since Space Quest is a parody of Star Trek and Star Wars, and Star Wars is a Space Opera ... perhaps this could be carried to its logical conclusion, and part of the plot could be Roger Wilco singing light operatic hits for no reason. :lol: Hey, it worked in Star Trek ... "Sing, Worf, sing!" ;)

Why would Roger do such a thing? Perhaps the bad guy has a dilithium crystal that needs to be shattered - but it can't be, except at a really high octave (a la the old myth about sopranos shattering glass). But, obviously, Roger is not a soprano. So what does he do?

First, he somehow finds an amplification system (which is important). Then, he asks Stellar Santiago to sing. And she is flattered. And she hits a really high note. Roger secretly records her, and plays this back through the amplifier ... and BOOM - dilithium crystal shattered! :D

This obviously ticks off the bad guy, and sets off the rest of the plot. What do you think? Is it silly enough to work?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

They've spoofed a lot of movies; but one that I've not really seen them do is spoof Buck Rogers.
So it would be cool to really see Roger as a dashing hero - who actually manages to do a few things right... mostly by luck, but no one else realizes it's by luck!
Attachments
Image12.png
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

You forgot the "half". ;)

Return to “The Space Quest Series”