If Torin's Passage got a sequel (or into a trilogy!)...

Feeling like this game is just out of this world but can't seem to get a handle on things? Well come on here to post and get some help about Torin's Passage!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

If Torin's Passage got a sequel (or into a trilogy!)...

Post by Tawmis »

... what are some things you would have liked to have seen?

Maybe story wise?
Character wise?
Voice actors?
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Re: If Torin's Passage got a sequel (or into a trilogy!)...

Post by notbobsmith »

I never quite got the humor. It just seemed all over the place. The family that has a sitcom laugh-track? How did they fit into everything? A sequel would need to pick a tone and stick with it.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Re: If Torin's Passage got a sequel (or into a trilogy!)...

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

notbobsmith wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:48 pm I never quite got the humor. It just seemed all over the place. The family that has a sitcom laugh-track? How did they fit into everything? A sequel would need to pick a tone and stick with it.
I loved the game as a kid, and I still enjoy it today (the puzzle design is surprisingly complex), but I agree about the inconsistent types of humor. “The Bitternuts” are funny as a stand-alone gag, but there’s no other counterpart to them anywhere. Maybe if other TV genres were spoofed elsewhere in Escarpa it might’ve fit in a bit more. Like, say, if the King and Queen were more soap opera-ish.

I know Al Lowe’s purpose was to create a game enjoyable on two levels, one for kids and one for adults, but I actually think Torin’s more effective during its serious moments. There’s a very clever concept at work that might’ve been better served by playing it straight.

Part of the problem is that Lowe’s sequel ideas never got made, so the world feels kind of underdeveloped and incomplete. Some of his concepts, especially the uprising and Torin’s eventual death, suggest the tone might’ve become more serious had it progressed.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber

Return to “Torin's Passage”