KQ7 - Brand New Patch Files for Art Fixes

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

KQ7 - Brand New Patch Files for Art Fixes

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Recently, I began creating new patches for KQ7, correcting a number of minor art issues and oversights which were somehow missed by Sierra. The following is a list of what I've done so far, followed by a link. Just place them in your patch or main game folder and you'll be good to go.

The more I've searched, the more minor discrepancies I've discovered, though some will take longer to correct. I shall update this thread once I've made more progress. In the meantime, these fixes cover many of the more noticeable errors.

Please note I've only tested these with version 2.00b (the only DOS version, and the one available through Collector's SHP installer). Unless otherwise noted, I cannot guarantee all will work with earlier versions as of yet.

Feel free to let me know if you encounter any issues.

PART ONE:
836.v56 - Rosella walking sprite. Fixed palette issues and facial anomalies in standing frames.
1255.v56 - Valanice acquiring and tasting salt water from pool. Fixed location of shadow color in palette index - no longer appears blue.
1256.v56 - Statue Bowl. Fixed coordinates for glowing effect when creating fresh water. Animation no longer off-centre.
2236.v56 - Titania in bad ending. Fixed one frame with incorrect shadow color.
2241.v56 - Rosella walking sprite used in volcano control room. Fixed same issues as above.
3100.v56 - Feldspar. Fixed animation coordinates and recolored aberrant red pixel to match other frames.
3209.v56 - Lady Ceres as Tree. This restores the original background art style branch to the tree, which was featured in the resources but unused. Instead, the first cel-animated loop for the transformation sequence was used in all instances. This revision makes the branch less conspicuous and helps it blend in more naturally.
3264.v56 - Cornucopia Maiden. Corrected positioning of cornucopia filling animation.
4316.v56 - Shrunken Heads. Corrected positioning of shrunken heads talking animation.
5326.v56 - Falderal badger. Fixed color of eyelids while talking.
5328.v56 - Falderal badger. Fixed color of eyelids while talking.
6051.v56 - Valanice entering crystal ball. Fixed location of shadow color in palette index - no longer appears blue.
6065.v56 - Lachesis. Thread no longer appears black while talking but proper yellow color like the rest of her frames.
20554.v56 - Forging troll. Restores missing lip-sync frames before he passes out from sulfur smoke. NOTE: not required for earlier versions of the game, just 2.00b.
30902.v56 - Rosella talking in Black Cloak. Adjusted coordinates of talking facial animations for several loops.

KQ7Patch1.zip
(653.85 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: KQ7 - Brand New Patch Files for Art Fixes

Post by Tawmis »

Will definitely have to check this out.
Ironically, been replaying KQ for my channel - because when I originally started the channel, I was tampering around with video settings and because original it's so small 320x200 - when I tried to make them all 1080p they came out horrid.
So now I know how to do it and not make it horrible.
So while the videos render (for example, just replayed KQ1EGA while GK2 was rendering) I have been revisiting KQ.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Were you using SCI Companion?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Collector wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:29 pm Were you using SCI Companion?
No, FotoSCIhop. SCI Companion does allow the view files to be edited, but doesn’t save them in a format the game can read. Must be due to limited SCI32 compatibility.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

I’ll be posting more of these soon. I’ve made a number of more minor changes and a few bigger ones are underway.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:04 am I’ll be posting more of these soon. I’ve made a number of more minor changes and a few bigger ones are underway.
I will be glad to host it on the LSL site too.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Tawmis wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:49 pm I will be glad to host it on the LSL site too.
That’d be great, thanks. Let me know if you want me to compile them in a certain way for you.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

However, you want to do it - I just threw this together for you - if you have suggestions, let me know.

http://larrylaffer.net/non-lsl-games/ki ... -partygoer
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I don't know what's going on. I asked a question here two days ago ... and it disappeared. I asked it again yesterday ... and again it disappeared.

Suddenly I'm thinking of this song. :lol:

Anyway, I wanted to ask: I already have KQ7, but haven't played it yet. (I wanted to finish KQ5 and KQ6 first, which I did). :D So, should I:

a) go ahead and play KQ7;
OR
b) wait for SHP's patch? :) It sounds like it changes quite a few things, so if it eliminates loads of bugs, it might make sense to wait.

Does anyone know?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:00 am I don't know what's going on. I asked a question here two days ago ... and it disappeared. I asked it again yesterday ... and again it disappeared.
Suddenly I'm thinking of this song. :lol:
Anyway, I wanted to ask: I already have KQ7, but haven't played it yet. (I wanted to finish KQ5 and KQ6 first, which I did). :D So, should I:
a) go ahead and play KQ7;
OR
b) wait for SHP's patch? :) It sounds like it changes quite a few things, so if it eliminates loads of bugs, it might make sense to wait.
Does anyone know?
It's mostly fixing animations. The way it works is it overwrites existing files.
The above already fixes some of those animations.
SHP can answer more.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

I have a HUGE update for this on the way, but in the meantime, here’s something partially related.

As this project has involved a lot of time perusing the resource files of various versions, looking for things to fix, I’ve also stumbled upon a number of cut pictures and animations. Akril’s website already detailed many of these, but I recently sent her my findings and she’s updated the KQ7 pages. So have a look at some more deleted artwork if you like.

http://www.akril15.com/kq7resources/KQ7resources.html

Return to “The King's Quest Series”