Does the 2006 Police Quest Collection have some advantage over the 1996 Collection when using the installers?

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
lukeman3000
Sierra Fan

Does the 2006 Police Quest Collection have some advantage over the 1996 Collection when using the installers?

Post by lukeman3000 »

I noticed that under the 2006 Police Quest Collection installer, it says "Addresses all known issues with this release. As with the patch, if you have the AGI version of PQ1, the installer can add the missing game to the collection."

Does this mean that the 1996 is sub-par or does not address all known issues in some way? Or are both collections equivalent for all intents and purposes?

Also -

Does the 2006 Collection also include SWAT, or just the 1996 Collection?

And, how is the AGI version installed? Do you just point the installer to a folder where you've copied the files from the floppies?

Finally, somewhat unrelated - Have any of the installers for Space Quest, QFG, LSL, KQ, or Gabriel Knight been updated in the past 7 years? Just wondering lol; I downloaded many of these installers back then and I want to update them in case anything has changed in that time.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Does the 2006 Police Quest Collection have some advantage over the 1996 Collection when using the installers?

Post by Collector »

The earlier collections are far better than the 2006 collections. The main reason for using the SHP installers for them is mainly for compatibility with modern Windows, including timer bug fixes required for newer (faster) PCs. The 2006 collections were all highly flawed. You can see this post for the many issues with the 2006 KQ collection. All the 2006 collections had similar problems.

There were two earlier collections, "The 4 Most Wanted" (the Collectors Edition) and the later "PQ Collection Series" which included "The 4 Most Wanted" plus S.W.A.T. I didn't include the option for adding SWAT to the 2006, but you can use the new SWAT installer if you have the game.

From the installer's readme:
To add the original Police Quest I AGI (not included with the collection) just copy the game files to the same folder as this installer before you run the installer and it will add the game to the collection.
I have not done much updating the installers over the past few years.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

lukeman3000
Sierra Fan

Re: Does the 2006 Police Quest Collection have some advantage over the 1996 Collection when using the installers?

Post by lukeman3000 »

Awesome, thanks!

So by using the installers with the Collection Series (1997) of each of these game series, am I getting the best possible experience for each game? Any noticeable exceptions?

For example I remember you telling me that the Space Quest Collection Series Installer didn’t include a certain NRS patch - any other notable exceptions like that which I might want to be aware of?

Return to “The Police Quest Series”