Kyrandia Book 1 (Complete), II (Complete), III (Complete)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Kyrandia Book 1 (Complete), II (In Progress), III (Pending)

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:29 pm Just curious: doesn't D&D nowadays have dungeons, too? Or is it all about urban exploration, and new-and-implausible monsters? ;) (Where's my Pizza Elemental?) ;)
Yes, but if you played 1st/2nd Edition AD&D - it was literally modules of just dungeons.
Now, with 5th Edition especially, it's far more mainstreamed to be a much wider campaign (underground, dungeons, forests, astral plane/travel, etc), and is far more about characters developing (they try to really bring in character RP), rather than, "Dear gods, I hope I survive tonight's session." (which was often the prayer of every 1st and 2nd edition D&D player).
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:30 am It’s worth remembering that the first Kyrandia was loosely based on a text adventure, and Westwood seems to have taken text adventure design philosophies into account when mapping out the game. Lots of generic locations (caves, forests) hiding the important rooms, especially later in the game. It was very clearly their first time at bat with this genre, and as pretty as it is to look at, some of the gameplay mechanics do feel tentative. I also suspect it was heavily streamlined during production, based on the amount of cut inventory items and unused artwork buried within the resources. Earlier concepts likely had more meat to the story.
The second one is definitely more sure-footed, though I feel the broader comedy does take away some of the simplistic charm of the first entry. I still love Zanthia’s attitude, though.
Honestly, I thought the first one (through Brandon's comments/dialogue) is much funnier than the 2nd. The 2nd one is still VERY, VERY GOOD (design wise, probably superior to the first) - but I do think the first was funnier, over all.

But really, other than the birthstones thing (which if you remember to save before you start placing stones is very easy) - the maze is really the only pain point. And even so, as long as you have a fireberry with you - and have a graph paper, you can easily map the game. When I played it this time, I was looking at the large screenshot I'd made of the various chambers, which messed me up a few times - would have been better to go the graph paper route - and just put circles where the firebushes are, and dots where you dropped a fireberry (my original mapping technique).
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:14 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:29 pm Just curious: doesn't D&D nowadays have dungeons, too? Or is it all about urban exploration, and new-and-implausible monsters? ;) (Where's my Pizza Elemental?) ;)
Yes, but if you played 1st/2nd Edition AD&D - it was literally modules of just dungeons.
Now, with 5th Edition especially, it's far more mainstreamed to be a much wider campaign (underground, dungeons, forests, astral plane/travel, etc), and is far more about characters developing (they try to really bring in character RP), rather than, "Dear gods, I hope I survive tonight's session." (which was often the prayer of every 1st and 2nd edition D&D player).
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:30 am It’s worth remembering that the first Kyrandia was loosely based on a text adventure, and Westwood seems to have taken text adventure design philosophies into account when mapping out the game. Lots of generic locations (caves, forests) hiding the important rooms, especially later in the game. It was very clearly their first time at bat with this genre, and as pretty as it is to look at, some of the gameplay mechanics do feel tentative. I also suspect it was heavily streamlined during production, based on the amount of cut inventory items and unused artwork buried within the resources. Earlier concepts likely had more meat to the story.
The second one is definitely more sure-footed, though I feel the broader comedy does take away some of the simplistic charm of the first entry. I still love Zanthia’s attitude, though.
Honestly, I thought the first one (through Brandon's comments/dialogue) is much funnier than the 2nd. The 2nd one is still VERY, VERY GOOD (design wise, probably superior to the first) - but I do think the first was funnier, over all.

But really, other than the birthstones thing (which if you remember to save before you start placing stones is very easy) - the maze is really the only pain point. And even so, as long as you have a fireberry with you - and have a graph paper, you can easily map the game. When I played it this time, I was looking at the large screenshot I'd made of the various chambers, which messed me up a few times - would have been better to go the graph paper route - and just put circles where the firebushes are, and dots where you dropped a fireberry (my original mapping technique).
Interesting perspective. The 2nd and 3rd games were certainly designed to be funnier than the first one, which largely plays it straight but does, as you mentioned, have humorous dialogue. 2 and 3 are undeniably wackier, though.

When navigating the labyrinth, I always place two fireberries - one next to the door I just came from, and one next to the door I’m going through. Makes backtracking much easier.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:06 am Interesting perspective. The 2nd and 3rd games were certainly designed to be funnier than the first one, which largely plays it straight but does, as you mentioned, have humorous dialogue. 2 and 3 are undeniably wackier, though.
When navigating the labyrinth, I always place two fireberries - one next to the door I just came from, and one next to the door I’m going through. Makes backtracking much easier.
Yeah - I thought the random dialogue you could trigger with Brandon by clicking things ("I thought I left my slippers in there!") added to a lot of the charm. Or when you do the birthstones and it goes wrong, his comments, or the little Pan dude... a lot of great dialogue in the first one. In the second one, it was mostly Zanthia dialoguing to herself when she was using her spunk (like hearing her internal thought process/breaking 4th wall).

That said, I do think LOK2 is better designed. To me, LOK1 feels like KQ1/KQ2 - pretty streamlined, adventure wise. LOK2 feels like KQ3/KQ4 with adventuring in different lands, and exploring much more.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Legend of Kyrandia 2 commentary.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Finally finished Legend of Kyrandia 3 - did all three "choices"...
This game was a step back.
It has so many random things (finding the bones in the woods), the guy who buys/sells is random all the time, the traveling around the cat/dog island, the maze in the jungle...

It took so many of the worse aspects of LoK and shoved them in this game.

Despie those bumps, it's still a fun game. Just, as I remembered, the least of the three.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Legend of Kyrandia 3 Commentary version....

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Legend of Kyrandia - Book 1 Soundtrack

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Legend of Kyrandia Book 2 Soundtrack:

Legend of Kyrandia Book 3 Soundtrack:

Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

I’ve always loved the music for these games. Frank Klepacki has to be one of my favourite game composers.

Have you ever heard the Redbook CD soundtrack for the rare FM-Towns version? It’s incredible. Such a pity that version is so rare.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:04 am I’ve always loved the music for these games. Frank Klepacki has to be one of my favourite game composers.
Have you ever heard the Redbook CD soundtrack for the rare FM-Towns version? It’s incredible. Such a pity that version is so rare.
Book 1 is easily my favorite soundtrack. Not just because I played that one the most of the three, but it's just such a good soundtrack.

I've not heard the Redbook CD soundtrack.

I wonder if it's on Spotify?
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Tawmis wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:27 am
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:04 am I’ve always loved the music for these games. Frank Klepacki has to be one of my favourite game composers.
Book 1 is easily my favorite soundtrack. Not just because I played that one the most of the three, but it's just such a good soundtrack.

I've not heard the Redbook CD soundtrack.

I wonder if it's on Spotify?
Highly unlikely. This version was only ever released in Japan. The soundtrack used to be on YouTube but was pulled.

Book 2 also had an FM-Towns port, but its CD audio was just a digitised vision of the MT-32 soundtrack, so no point looking for that one.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Kyrandia Book 1 (Complete), II (Complete), III (Complete)

Post by Tawmis »

Is is on Spotify.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I can guess why it was taken down too.

Xeen Music.

They came after me for one of the MT-32 soundtracks I had up.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Oh wow! That’s good to know. I never use Spotify.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:07 am Oh wow! That’s good to know. I never use Spotify.
If you go to Xeen Music's section, there's a lot of game tracks there.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”