Dragon Fire

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Dragon Fire

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Well, I just completed Dragon Fire for only the second time, and the first time in over 20 years. I did a magic user run through, and finally got Katrina to marry the hero! My first playthrough was as a Paladin.

I’ll have to give the fighter and thief a go at some point. I’ve never even attempted a thief run for this game, so there’s still a lot I haven’t seen and done.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Re: Dragon Fire

Post by goatmeal »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:35 am Well, I just completed Dragon Fire for only the second time, and the first time in over 20 years. I did a magic user run through, and finally got Katrina to marry the hero! My first playthrough was as a Paladin.

I’ll have to give the fighter and thief a go at some point. I’ve never even attempted a thief run for this game, so there’s still a lot I haven’t seen and done.
Congratulations.

As I've said before, I've played through all 5 games as Fighter-turned-Paladin and again as a Mage, but only played QFGs 1-4 as a thief. Once I finally play through 5 as a thief, then QFG will truly be over for me... Probably why I keep putting it off.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Congrats, SHP! :D

Spoiler alert: If you played as a Paladin, the Fighter route isn't very much different. The thief route is very fun and challenging. There's a new system of lockpicking, and another skill (backstabbing) that I could never master. (It's hard to do that in 3D).

Questions:
- Did you find all the new spells? (Hint: visit Erasmus on Day 2, otherwise you may miss something. :) Also, make sure to visit Shakra as soon as you finish Rite #4 - dancing with the Dryads - so you can get a magic staff).
- Did you try the Thermonuclear Blast spell? (It can potentially allow you to take the Dragon with you, even if it kills you)
And for some fun stuff:
- Did you try offering the Ring of Hera to Rakeesh?
- Did you try standing under the windmill (near Science Island) and casting Levitate? (Warning: GAME OVER)
- Did you try swimming until you run out of breath? (Warning: GAME OVER)
- Did you try offering flowers or chocolates (or the Ring of Hera) to Toro?
- Did you try (as a Paladin) to cast Sense Aura on General Claudius? (If not, the game says This man has no honour, there is no negotiating with him. Or something like that). :)
- During the Rite of Valor (with the Hydra), did you try attacking Elsa instead of enlisting her help to defeat the Hydra?
- Throwing a pizza (or any other food) at people in the town?
- Attacking people in the town? (Warning: GAME OVER)
- Giving the black lotus to Julanar instead of Salim? (Shout out to Magic: The Gathering!)

There are others, I'm sure ... but let it rest. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:35 am Well, I just completed Dragon Fire for only the second time, and the first time in over 20 years. I did a magic user run through, and finally got Katrina to marry the hero! My first playthrough was as a Paladin.
Congrats. I was about to do QFGV for my playthrough, but found it clunky and didn't even last past the first fight (where you have like three people attacking you), before I said, "Maybe I will come back to this... one day..."

So you have my admiration for enduring it. I know it's probably got a great story, because the Coles are good at that... but the game just felt way too clunky for me.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Congrats. I haven't played this in a long time. I think I played it a few times as a fighter/paladin, and only once each as a mage and thief.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Tawmis wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:51 pm Congrats. I was about to do QFGV for my playthrough, but found it clunky and didn't even last past the first fight (where you have like three people attacking you), before I said, "Maybe I will come back to this... one day..."

So you have my admiration for enduring it. I know it's probably got a great story, because the Coles are good at that... but the game just felt way too clunky for me.
The combat is definitely clunky. I believe even Corey said they should’ve licensed an existing engine instead of making their own. I’m not very good at fighting if the difficulty bar is up too high, so I tend to keep to close to easy. The controls aren’t very intuitive.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:08 pm
Tawmis wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:51 pm Congrats. I was about to do QFGV for my playthrough, but found it clunky and didn't even last past the first fight (where you have like three people attacking you), before I said, "Maybe I will come back to this... one day..."

The combat is definitely clunky. I believe even Corey said they should’ve licensed an existing engine instead of making their own. I’m not very good at fighting if the difficulty bar is up too high, so I tend to keep to close to easy. The controls aren’t very intuitive.
Yeah I just hated you could be clicking on an enemy to attack, and if you slightly misclick, your hero goes for a walk...............
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Tawmis wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:12 pm
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:08 pm

Yeah I just hated you could be clicking on an enemy to attack, and if you slightly misclick, your hero goes for a walk...............
Yep. Much easier if you have magic. Just cast Frostbite and watch them all fall.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

I’m playing as a fighter now. First time I’ve ever attempted betting on and taking part in the arena battles. It’s actually more fun than I expected. I’ve won every bet so far, so my Drachma count is getting right up there early.

I’m also seducing Nawar for the first time, which…isn’t exactly difficult :lol:
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:30 am I’m playing as a fighter now. First time I’ve ever attempted betting on and taking part in the arena battles. It’s actually more fun than I expected. I’ve won every bet so far, so my Drachma count is getting right up there early.

IIRC, the fighters in the arena have a ranking, so the matches almost always go a certain way depending on the pairing. But this only applies if you actually watch the fight in the arena. If you don't and check the board the next day, the winner is more random.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:30 am I’m playing as a fighter now. First time I’ve ever attempted betting on and taking part in the arena battles. It’s actually more fun than I expected. I’ve won every bet so far, so my Drachma count is getting right up there early.

Yep, Nawar is designed to be ... easily-seduced. ;) However, she will sooner or later ask you to do one or two things that are not easily accomplished (unless you are a thief). Or maybe it's just me -- I only ever tried seducing her as a thief.

Hint - list of fictional beings to be seduced, from easiest to hardest:

Nawar
Elsa
Erana
Katrina
Toro
Rakeesh

;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Added a spoiler tag wrap to your post Rath.

Just in case he doesn't want to know.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Fair enough. I just should point out that Toro and Rakeesh aren't designed to be 'seduced'. They just give you funny answers if you try. ;)
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:55 pm

IIRC, the fighters in the arena have a ranking, so the matches almost always go a certain way depending on the pairing. But this only applies if you actually watch the fight in the arena. If you don't and check the board the next day, the winner is more random.
Yes, I have looked up the strength of each fighter. Of course, it was also pretty logical. And watching the fights each night seems to guarantee the bets pay off.

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”