QG1 First Playthrough

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

QG1 First Playthrough

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Well, my QFG fixation continues. I just completed the first game for the first time ever! I’m sorry I put it off for so long, it was a lot of fun. I actually really enjoyed having low stats to begin with and working at building them up. It was impressive to witness the hero improve almost in real time.

I chose the EGA version because I thought readjusting to the text parser would make QG2 easier. Also, I can’t say I’m all that crazy about the VGA version, from what I’ve seen of it. The backgrounds are nice enough, but I prefer the more colorful, stylised palette of the original. And some of the portrait closeups are a bit…off. Erasmus’s hair looks like grey worms.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: QG1 First Playthrough

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:06 am Well, my QFG fixation continues. I just completed the first game for the first time ever! I’m sorry I put it off for so long, it was a lot of fun. I actually really enjoyed having low stats to begin with and working at building them up. It was impressive to witness the hero improve almost in real time.

I chose the EGA version because I thought readjusting to the text parser would make QG2 easier. Also, I can’t say I’m all that crazy about the VGA version, from what I’ve seen of it. The backgrounds are nice enough, but I prefer the more colorful, stylised palette of the original. And some of the portrait closeups are a bit…off. Erasmus’s hair looks like grey worms.
Congrats! The first QfG (original) is also my favorite of the series.
The area where there's like 5 goblins - and after you fight them, their bodies are all over the place is one of my favorite areas.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't play these until somewhat later. Probably late 90s when the compilation CDs were first coming out. I'm not sure if I've ever played the original. I think I've only ever played the remake.

QFG2 is my personal favorite.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:21 pm Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't play these until somewhat later. Probably late 90s when the compilation CDs were first coming out. I'm not sure if I've ever played the original. I think I've only ever played the remake.

QFG2 is my personal favorite.
I’ve just started the second game. Felt good to have a character to import! I have had to seek a little help with the navigation but so far I’m enjoying it. It’s nice to finally be getting the backstory on Rakeesh, Uhura, et al.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Congrats on finishing QfG1! :D It's a lot of fun.

I agree that the EGA version is better. In the VGA version, the graphics do crazy things, especially when you come to the screen with the centaur raking.

I played the original QfG1 back in 1991. (I feel old now).

SHP, I presume you have the map and compass by now (in QfG2)? :) If you're enjoying the backstory of Rakeesh and Uhura, you would probably enjoy QfG3 too.

Also, these are fun too: Fun Things to do in Quest for Glory 2. Warning: spoiler-ish, but not too much.

Enjoy! :D

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”