Question: Running LSL7?

Slipping into your Leisure Suit? Need tips? Or just want to discuss Leisure Suit Larry (Ladies, try to keep the swooning to a minimum, please!) - this is the place to do it!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Question: Running LSL7?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I have LSL7 installed on my PC, and I used the SHP installer (I think?) to run it. It used to be on my C drive, but when I upgraded my PC, the then-C drive became the D drive.

Since then, LSL7 doesn't run unless I mount it on DOSBox and run SIER.EXE.

I have a suspicion that a file called "Leisure Suit Larry 7- Love for Sail!" is a shortcut for running the game, but when I try running it, it starts DOSBox and then closes it.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that it's doing this because SIER.EXE, which used to be on the C drive, is now on the D drive.

Can I change the "Leisure Suit Larry 7- Love for Sail!" file (e.g. in Notepad) to point it to the right direction? I tried, and noted that it mentions both my D drive and also something called %SystemDrive% (which is C, I guess).

So, if I swap %SystemDrive% for D, would it work? Does that sound likely? *crosses fingers*

Thanks! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Question: Running LSL7?

Post by Tawmis »

The short cut needs to point to the new location.
Similar to your QFG question before - sounds like the same situation.
viewtopic.php?p=98409#p98409
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Not exactly. The contents of the shortcut say:

Code: Select all

L        À      Fß@       ©Xrm-Ì4°òPÑ4°òPÑ Z                     s PàOÐ ê:i¢Ø +00 /D:\                   T 1     EO# Sierra  > 	  ï¾1H,5oX†,.   6   
               ÎS i e r r a    r 1     ˆL¤³ LEISUR~1  Z 	  ï¾1H,5oX-.   $_                  Œ$L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7    ~ 2  Z  1H,5  LEISUR~1.EXE  b 	  ï¾Ò>!oX-.   [_        L         åÍš L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 . e x e      m            4       l         ‰ij   Windows D:\Sierra\Leisure Suit Larry 7\Leisure Suit Larry 7.exe  3 P l a y   L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 :   L o v e   F o r   S a i l !   i n   D O S B o x  . \ L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 . e x e  % S y s t e m r o o t % \ S i e r r a \ L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 ) C : \ S i e r r a \ L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 \ L S L 7 H R . I C O       D:\Sierra\Leisure Suit Larry 7\LSL7HR.ICO                                                                                                                                                                                                                % S y s t e m r o o t % \ S i e r r a \ L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 \ L S L 7 H R . I C O                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 `      X       desktop-qnl5hv9 `ä3'Œ`HžWéVÝІà"±—­¼å˜Ö0Z:J»<`ä3'Œ`HžWéVÝІà"±—­¼å˜Ö0Z:J»<E   	   9   1SPS±mD­pH§H@.¤=xŒ   h    H   uéá‚ø?,M¡xÑwâ–            
I tried changing %Systemroot% for D: , but now, the file does nothing. :(

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:42 am Not exactly. The contents of the shortcut say:

Code: Select all

L        À      Fß@       ©Xrm-Ì4°òPÑ4°òPÑ Z                     s PàOÐ ê:i¢Ø +00 /D:\                   T 1     EO# Sierra  > 	  ï¾1H,5oX†,.   6   
               ÎS i e r r a    r 1     ˆL¤³ LEISUR~1  Z 	  ï¾1H,5oX-.   $_                  Œ$L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7    ~ 2  Z  1H,5  LEISUR~1.EXE  b 	  ï¾Ò>!oX-.   [_        L         åÍš L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 . e x e      m            4       l         ‰ij   Windows D:\Sierra\Leisure Suit Larry 7\Leisure Suit Larry 7.exe  3 P l a y   L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 :   L o v e   F o r   S a i l !   i n   D O S B o x  . \ L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 . e x e  % S y s t e m r o o t % \ S i e r r a \ L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 ) C : \ S i e r r a \ L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 \ L S L 7 H R . I C O       D:\Sierra\Leisure Suit Larry 7\LSL7HR.ICO                                                                                                                                                                                                                % S y s t e m r o o t % \ S i e r r a \ L e i s u r e   S u i t   L a r r y   7 \ L S L 7 H R . I C O                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 `      X       desktop-qnl5hv9 `ä3'Œ`HžWéVÝІà"±—­¼å˜Ö0Z:J»<`ä3'Œ`HžWéVÝІà"±—­¼å˜Ö0Z:J»<E   	   9   1SPS±mD­pH§H@.¤=xŒ   h    H   uéá‚ø?,M¡xÑwâ–            
I tried changing %Systemroot% for D: , but now, the file does nothing. :(

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
That code stuff looks off the wall. Because it has a metric ton of odd characters.

If you right click your shortcut to LSL7, like the screenshot in the aforementioned thread, what does it say/show?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

How weird! It doesn't seem to point anywhere. :|

Here's the shortcut I'm thinking of:
LSL7 Subdirectory
LSL7 Subdirectory
And when I right-click on this shortcut and try "Properties", here is what it says:
How strange!
How strange!
As you can see, the shortcut doesn't seem to point anywhere ... and won't let me change it.

I know how to start the game in DOSBox manually: I have to mount this subdirectory and start SIER.EXE. But I think I need the shortcut to do it (yes, I'm lazy :oops:), or to build a batch file to do the same. Any ideas how?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Yeah. So just right click on your desktop, create new shortcut, and browse to the "Leisure Suit Larry 7.exe" file and see if that works.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK ... I tried that, but it didn't work. It opens the DOSBox window and then closes it. I also tried running LSL7.BAT, but it did the same thing.

Only SIER.EXE seems to work, and then only if I mount the subdirectory in DOSBox and run it from there.

When I tried creating the shortcut to SIER.EXE, Windows 11 told me this:
error.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Huh. Might be easier if you have LSL7, just to use collector's installer, run the installer, tell it to point to the same directory it's currently in. It will recreate the shortcut that Collector's installer creates. Might be the easiest way. I actually don't have any games installed at the moment that use DOSBox.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Huzzah! :D It worked perfectly. Thanks, Tawm! :)

(And thank you Collector, for writing the installer). :)

Return to “The Leisure Suit Larry Series”