D&D Character Background Challenge (It's Own Thread Now)

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: D&D Character Background Challenge (It's Own Thread Now)

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=586
Originally Posted by Rbrookes1234 View Post
Name: Cain
Race: Half-orc
Class: Redemption paladin
Background: Soldier
Rough idea: he and his human brother became soldiers together as a sibling rivalry, they were good soldiers but one day Cain got possessed by some supernatural entity, and went on a killing spree and his brother prayed to any god that could help him. and in the end lathender answered, say that the only way to save his brother is to become the host of the entity. he does this and asks his brother to kill him , in order to kill the entity for good, which he does and after that he goes on a journey of redemption
This was kind of fun to write!
The aspect of a Half-Orc... struggling against racism...
And how in the end... despite his best efforts... he fails... but of no fault of his own...
But the world will never know that!

I look forward to your thoughts or feedback!
Enjoy!
===============================================

There is a notion that we’re bound to behave because of our bloodline; as if our past ancestry defines who were are and what we will become. No matter who – what race, what profession – everyone has the kindling of racism burning at the back of their mind.

As a Half-Orc, I spent most of my life dealing with those who always thought the worse of me.

My mother, a human woman by the name of Nallia Springrunner had been a part of a caravan that had been ambushed by the Red Eye Clan of Orcs and taken prisoner. My father, a peaceful nobleman, but a former warrior took up arms and organized a search party to find and rescue my mother, since her body was not among the dead who had been found near the ambushed caravan. It’d been two weeks, but he found her, freed her, and managed to kill the few remaining Red Eye Clan Orcs who had kept her prisoner. It was a few short months later that it became obvious that one of the Orcs had raped her and that she was with child.

My father asked if she had wanted a Cleric to come and purge the child growing within her, but my mother, being the loving person believed that, despite the circumstances and the father of the child growing inside her, that the infant in her was innocent and could be changed to be different than the father.

My human father agreed to raise and me and explained to my human brother, Bren Springrunner, that he would soon have a brother that he would need to watch after.

The choice to have me cost my family significant social standing, as they viewed my mother as tainted and would not want to invite them to social events where a half-orc might be present. Still, my family raised me to disregard the glares, sneers and comments others directed at me, and showed me compassion, love and caring.

My brother Bren always stepped in to defend me shouting, “We are brothers until the end!” But as I grew older, I wanted to be able to defend myself. My brother, already a Squire, had begun teaching me how to fight. My father, watching us, stepped in and continued our training, as he’d fought in several battles before settling down, marrying and fighting the political battles.

By the time I was eighteen, people of Ferndale began to accept me for who I was. Where I was, my brother was; and where my brother was, I was. We had become inseparable and people could feel the depth of our kindship, brotherhood and compassion. I was just beginning to change people’s minds about me when something tragic happened.

I had witnessed a man stealing from a woman; and gave chase, telling her I would recover her items. However, what I did not know was that it’d all been a part of an elaborate trap. I had been lured into that alleyway to step right into a Demon’s Sigil. Unable to step out of the Sigil’s Circle, three cultists, including the woman who had been “robbed” revealed their true selves and began casting a spell that trapped a servant of Orcus into my body. The Servant desired death for anyone and everyone I laid eyes on – with the idea that Orcus would capture their souls – and raise their bodies to serve his dark army.

The Servant latched onto my half blood – and ripped into my mind, tore apart my soul – and unleashed the murderous side that remains in check by any sane person – and I began a murdering spree. I killed nearly twenty people in the course of three days.

When my brother learned what had happened – and learned that it had been because of some demonic possession – he prayed to the gods for an answer – and it was Lathender who answered his prayer. “Your brother,” Bren heard in his dreams, “is possessed by a Servant of Orcus. I can help you put an end to the Servant – but I am attuned to Rebirth. Take the Demon unto yourself – and your brother, having broke free of the possession – must then kill you, for that is when the Servant will be at its weakest. Your brother will be reborn through your sacrifice.”

Bren found me and challenged me to a duel. What he did not know was the dagger I hid under my belt was etched in runes that would draw the demon out of him and into me as the wielder of the dagger. As we fought, it had been brutal and bloody. I knew his fighting style just as he’d known me – since he had trained me – and our father had trained us.

But when he plunged the dagger into my side – I felt it. Not the blade. Not the pain. The release. The demon had been pulled from me – but one thing became clear. I was not free of the memories of what I’d done – I could still see, feel, and hear the cries of those I had killed. That’s when my brother shouted for me to kill him – it was the only way to stop the Demon. If I delayed – it would grow in him and the murder spree would resume – I could not bring myself to kill my own brother – my brother who sacrificed himself by taking the demon into himself.

That’s when my brother threw his sword at me, just after I’d thrown my own down to the ground. I caught his sword – and before I realized what happened – my brother threw himself on his own blade as I held it. I felt the warmth of his blood as it ran down the blade and over the hilt. He touched my face and with his dying breath said, “We are brothers… to the end…”

I spent the rest of my days seeking redemption for what I’d done… I know it wasn’t me… but I could still see… hear… feel the screams of those I’d killed.

I begged the gods to forgive me… and one day, I felt a light fill my soul and purge the darkness away.

I looked up at the heavens and saw the clouds part and the moon seemed to be staring down at me…

The gods had heard my call…
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=589
Originally Posted by Ogre Mage View Post
Hi Tawmis! This is a multiclass character I will start playing soon. The theme of the campaign is that we are going on a long sea voyage to the Moonshae Isles. I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

Name: Juno Goldcoast
Class: Cleric (knowledge) of Selune 1 / Wizard (diviner) 2
Race: Moon elf (high elf)
Background: Sailor
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10.

Character concept: Selune is worshipped by sailors because stars and navigation are part of her portfolio. Juno provides magical support for ship and crew. She uses the mending and prestidigitation cantrips to keep the ship in top working order. Purify Food and Water and Create Water maintain essential supplies on long voyages. Her chaotic alignment means she dislikes being tied down to a single ship or crew so she moves around as she pleases. Juno has an owl familiar named Moonbird (owls are the favored animal of Selune).
This was a fun writing bit...!
I explain how she has both the multiclassing... and why she's jumping from ship to ship...
I also explain how the Owl comes to be... and serves almost as a guide...
Anyway - hope you enjoy it! I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Enjoy!
=================================================

It’s a lot like flying – sailing, I mean.

There are no structures, city walls, people, even trees to obscure your view. Gazing from the edge of a ship there’s nothing but endless seas whose blue colors bleed into the skies. As the sun sets, the waters grow darker as do the skies, creating the illusion that it’s all tied together.

I was thirteen the first time I went on such a vessel. My family had been fleeing the Red Eye Clan of Orcs who had grown in population and brutality and hoped to find a new home on the continents. I remember, even today, gazing out from the edge of the ship and wondering what lied out there. There was potentially unexplored islands still undiscovered – and with it, who knows what wonders? Was there civilizations – even races out there – that the world had not yet met?

When we reached the continents, I followed in my mother’s footsteps and became a Cleric of Selune. This was beneficial because Selune was the goddess of Knowledge – and widely worshipped by sailors because of her relationship with the stars – which the sailors used as a compass and guidance during their long sailing trips. I soon discovered that the bloodline of my father also coursed in my veins as magic came naturally to me. I then took up Wizardry, and my father afforded me classes at one of the top Wizardry schools known as The Cosmic Forge, where I learned how magic intertwined with everything.

But the age of eighteen, the curiosity I had experienced five years ago – the oceans called to me. Against the wishes of both my father and mother, I joined a crew and set sail for the wider oceans. I could never seemed to find a crew I felt connected with – some were simply transport ships, like the first one I’d been on – some were merchant ships – none of these appealed to me as I was looking for that one ship that would need to rely on Selune’s guidance – and sail into waters and things unknown.

I’d been on a merchant ship that docked for the night at a port. The town was small, of little interest, so I ventured into the nearby forest. It reminded me of my home – the home I’d fled from because of the Red Eye Clan Orcs – and that’s when I saw a pair of eyes staring back at me in the darkness.

It’d been an Owl – the favored animals of Selune. I extended my arm and it came to me, as if it had always been waiting. The Owl then climbed on my shoulder and with that I turned back towards the town and as I entered, I heard of a ship headed for the Moonshae Isle – this interested me. The Moonshae Isles were ripe with mystery and, from what I had learned, even had islands ruled by giants. I booked passage aboard the Sea Cutter ready for what might come next…
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=593
Originally Posted by ~Soul View Post
Recently I did a new character, a halfling divination luck wizard (i hope fun with it).
I know nothing about halflings (Well, i know about Hobbits) and their lore in forgotten realms.

A few things about my character:
- Likes mysteries and puzzles
- Wants to learn knowledges and lore
- Holds an old book with horrible secrets (about gods, cities, important people or something like) that no one has to read it
- Is very interested in other races, my character doesnt have fear about people, he likes to learn about them
- Tries to be fair with people, and help who needs it.
- Likes animals
- Goddess: Yondalla

He has a quarterstaff, a book of spells and the old book)
(I think isn't necessary mention the clothes and physical appearance)
And about the backstory, I would like to see some about this:

- name and last name have history
- He lives in the city with his parents, or just left his home to join the wizard's school in the city
- is almost an adult (19 old)
- Went to the divination school of wizard (Maybe, didn't finish it)
- Something happened to his/her favourite teacher (disappeared suddenly and no one knows about, or die)
- Some people bullied him/her because is a halfling (like the class bully, or some gang in the city
- Did an animal friend (like an owl), and then, casted Find Familiar on it
- Has lucky
Thanks you for your time!
I had fun giving this character a voice...
The only thing I didn't cover was the Owl... but leave the ending open enough so that it could have happened sometime after where this segment ends...
As always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts...
=================================

“No one ever found the answers they were looking for by being content where they were; because the answers are never in front of you; you must go out and find them. And that means leaving the safety of everything you know, and in your attempt to find the logic in something, you must do what is completely illogical.”

My teacher, a Tiefling Wizard by the name of Barian Taur used to say that all the time. “In order to find the logical answer you must do what is most illogical,” I paraphrased to myself. I never knew what any of that meant; and to be honest, simply thought it was the words of an aging, raving mad man. Barian Taur was not exactly an elderly man, by age, but if only half of the stories he told of what he had done and endured were true, then it was easy to see that perhaps portions of his sanity had been chipped away and low lay discarded in the pits of his soul.

My name is Thelo Bolseiro of the Ferndale.

As a Hafling, I am proud to come from my family bloodline – The Bolseiro generation of the Ferndale were extensively known for being a key part in driving back the goblin forces that emerged from the Greypeak Mountains, just east of Southwood. The Ferndale, located just south of Llorkh, was the home of my family for generations – and despite our diminutive size as Haflings – and not generally known for our fighting skills – we were able to keep the goblin forces from marching on Llorkh.

I come from a long generation of well renowned warriors. You might even think I was one.

Furthest from the truth. At a young age, I was curious about gain knowledge, learning about the lore of the world; and the many mysteries it held. Civilizations buried beneath the earth. Life, called the Underdark, somewhere deep in the ground with animals and plant life never even seen – or imaginable – on the surface world.

Though my father disapproved of my choice of chasing the Arcane Arts, my mother was more understanding (which only seemed to infuriate my father further, that she was still to nurturing and it was well passed the time I stop drinking from her breast – not that I was actually milking from my mother’s breast – it was my father’s way of saying “man up” as the humans often say).

I enjoyed life at the Arcane Arts, studying the ways of Divination – when one day, while I had been speaking with my instructor, Barian Taur, a shimmering portal opened next to him, and for the first time since I’d been in class he looked worried. He quickly ran to his desk, unlocked a drawer and threw a book at me, telling me to never read it or my mind would suffer – and to keep it hidden and away from others – and then, a large demonic hand pulled him into the shimmering portal where it closed immediately there after.

Now, here I am with this book in my possession that I am not supposed to read (and let me tell you, my desire for knowledge and lore is chewing away at me!). I’ve searched his entire study to see if there was any reference to this book – the cover had unique enough markings – but there was nothing to be found.

Then I realized; he’d been setting me up for this day. He was literally telling me, almost every day, that the answer was not at the school – that I’d need to do something “illogical” and leave the safety net behind and venture into the world to find out the answers to what this book is… and who… or what… took Barian Taur!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=594
Quote Originally Posted by mistermysterio View Post
I have one for you!
Alxaxir, Kilvarax (Wrath) (Kilvarax is his name, Alxaxir his clan name, Wrath his childhood name)
Gold Dragonborn Berserker Barbarian (1 level in that sweet new UA ranger). Outlander (bounty hunter) background. Chaotic evil!

PT: The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.
Ideal: Might - If I become strong, then no one can tell me what to do.
Bonds: I want to destroy my overly good and famous family, that I might show that I am the greatest of them, and then take what I want, whenever I want.
Flaws: I'm never satisfied with what I have; I always want more.

Basically, his family are renowned across the land as being goodly dragonborn, led by an ancient gold dragon who is the sire for most of the rest of the clan. They have the power to take what they want (especially big daddy guy), but instead, they stay away from politics and stuff altogether and only use what they need... AND they help weaker folk out all the time. They've built a reputation as being an amazingly good clan.
Thanks!
Chaotic Evil characters (or any evil character really) is always interesting to write a background for...
How deep do you go to show they're evil? Murder? Mayhem? Slavery?
I did find your character's "voice" and hope it fits with what you're hoping for...
I'd love to hear feedback!
===========================================

It’s in our blood – the desire, a bottomless thirst for always wanting more. Every Dragon suffers from it – this is why Dragons make dens and horde their gold and trinkets.

But my family is different; not that I am a Dragon myself, but I am a Dragonborn with the blood line of the Gold Dragon. Gold Dragons – like all Metallic Dragons – are generally aligned with goodness. My family indeed aligns with aiding the good, helping the less fortunate and driving back forces of evil. They have earned a reputation throughout the Sword Mountain Regions for their kindness and aid; giving even from their own horde to help others.

In my veins – I do not share their ideals of kindness, compassion, or even caring. Like the golden scales adorned on my skin, the desire for gold clutches at my heart. But it’s not because I am a thief and I simply desire the money. No, my desires are more complicated… more complex. The more money I have the more I can pay for alcohol and other mind and body altering experiences. It helps sooth the rage and fire that consumes my soul with an unbridled fire.

Otherwise, I spend my time wondering how I can deface, tear down, and otherwise ruin my family name. It’s a curse that follows me; that when people see me they expect kindness from me; and all I want to do is fight them when they praise me.

I was born Alxaxir (“Shine of the Sun”) with the clan Kilvarax (“Bringer of Light”), but my attitude earned me the nickname of “Wrath” when I was younger. I was – and still am – always looking for that next fight. I challenge myself every chance I get and learn from every victory just as much as I do defeat. Everything is a learning experience to build upon; and one day return to destroy my family, their history and their honor.

When I left my family, I learned to live off the land, just as any Ranger might; using my tracking skills to hunt and survival skills to make weapons from the bones of those I fed upon. When a band of Blue Dragonborn ambushed me and took me to their Dragon Highlord, a female human named Kitallana Darksword, she swore she’d torture me for information.

I endured endless torture at her hands, and the once, glimmering golden scales now adorned in scars, is a reflection of what I endured. When she realized she could not break me she sentenced me to die; which is when I made her an offer to become a bounty hunter for her. As a Gold Dragonborn that hated my own kind, I could easily travel into cities and towns that she and her Dragonborn army could not.

She agreed, but assured me if I double crossed her, she would see to it that I would die a very slow and painful death. She began by giving me easy bounties to recover and I did so. She even tested me by having a bounty on a young human girl – a powerful mage by the name of Tasliana. It was not until I had gone and found Tasliana and brought her before Kitallana that I noticed the similarities between the two – she’d put a bounty on her own daughter, who had been working against her. I thought she might grant her mercy but was suitably impressed when she ordered her guards to put Tasliana in shackles and dragged her down to the dungeons below.

This is the life I’ve been leading for years; I remain in contact with Kitallana, still doing bounties for her when her messengers find me. But these days, I’ve been traveling, experiencing the world, and seeing what else out there awaits someone like me… someone who isn’t afraid to seize it just because I want it.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=600
Originally Posted by OzDragon View Post
Name: Lavinia
Race: Halfling(gypsy clan)
Class: Wizard/Bard
Minor notes: Kicked out of wizard school considered failure. Banished by clan. Believes that fate is powerful but can be changed. She wants to change hers.
Uses Tarot to simulate divination/dice manipulation.
I had some fun with this; explaining how she came from an important family...
And how that would lead to her banishment.
Her idea of changing fate isn't blatantly explained; but her standing up against her parents (and their history) is that first step (in the event that's not clear)...
=============================

I have spent my life struggling to find what defines the person I am. My family line, the Barrenhowl, have a long history of mastering the Arcane Arts. I spent what felt to be countless years trying to learn how to master the Arcane Arts because it was expected of me being a Barrenhowl. The pressure from my family was incredibly intense; even my clan – a roaming band of gypsies that made a living through art, tarot card reading, and magic (with the occasional pocket picked here and there).

I knew the magic coursed in my veins – I could feel it. But the truth of the matter was, that’s not where my heart was. When I heard a fellow Gypsy named Kaine Rollinghill play his lyre, each pluck of the string was like having my own heartstrings plucked. It had nothing to do with any form of attraction to Kaine, but rather an attraction to the music he was making.

When I decided to turn my back on the Arcane Arts, my parents were furious. Of course, being a Barrenhowl, they had a significant amount of pull, and one day called for the Gypsies Council and demanded that if I did not resume my Arcane Studies and thus keep the Barrenhowl name synonymous with Magic that I should be removed from the clan. Everyone had cast an uneasy glance, but again – my family has had a strong pull with my clan for centuries. They unanimously voted to agree with my parents, then turned to me to see if I would change my mind.

When they came to summon me into the Gypsies Circle, I took inventory of everyone’s sorrowful expression and stern expression of my parents and already knew what they decided. I stood my ground and explained I will not bend to the will of my parents and that I will forge music rather than magic with my hands.

As a part of our clan’s rules, a mage must use their magic to shunt me away – a spell that essentially teleports me in a random direction away from the clan. Ironically, it was my own mother who had to shunt me away – and she looked at me sternly as she reached out her hand slowly to touch my forehead, as if I might break and tell her I will practice magic. I knew once I was banished I would be forbidden from associating my own last name to myself because my family feels as if I've dishonored them...

Just before she touched my head, Kaine shouted, “Hold!” Racing up he handed me his lyre. And with that I was shunted away.

I reappeared near a mountain range that I did not recognize and the moon was already rising in the sky and darkness was just beginning to cover the skies like a blanket. I gathered some wood, made a small campfire, and began to play the lyre.

For the first time in my life, I was at peace, but curious what would come next…
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=614
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
It looks like you are really good at this. wow.
Levistus Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer 4 / Warlock 2.

Pact was forced on her or rather she is a warlock because at some point she had her wild magic powers bound (parents perhaps) and therefore the terms of the agreement are with them. Now however she has grown more powerful and actually managed to take some of the powers from her patron much to the patrons disgust (Roleplay opportunity for DM to have the patron act against her perhaps)

Given some instruction at a magical academy but had 'minders' when she went beyond the walls for should an 'incident' happen in the nearby township. Perhaps one happened in the past? (Im not so convinced by this now...im leaning towards being part of a magical community (coven)??? Her mother wanting her to stay and formally join, whilst her dad 'go do you'.

Cut to 8-10 years later off on her own adventure (archaeologist background) searching out magic items (is this because she wants to limit her own magic use, or to supplement it? She is confident, chaotic good/neutral good, but maybe shes also volitile emotionally as per her powers???? not sure on this.

(Now giving off more of an indiana jones crossed with early Rey from Star Wars, a trader, scavenger, or even go as far as a retriever of objects - for a price, she knows how to negotiate)

Also looking for trinket ideas for what she might have on her person, magical items and other bits (starting at level 6 and the dm is letting me come in with a few things)

My previous character was very by the book, and want her to be more willing to go along for the ride instead of being dragged.

Your help is much appreciated.
The demon that's mentioned (if you've read some of the other backgrounds here) is a reoccurring demon throughout several backgrounds...
I set up the emotional state of your character being volatile by having the guilt of what happens between her parents...
I also got in the part of the Coven... and at least one magical trinket ...
As always, I'd love to hear any thoughts, feedback, you like it, hate it, love it, want something changed?
==================================================

My father has always been a simple man. He goes out to the fields, herds the sheep, gathers the fruit from the trees, milks the cows, and comes back, exhausted and tired. My mother on the other hand, has always been a secretive and conniving woman. My father never asks her what she is doing or why she’s sometimes gone for hours on end. I suspect he’s always known that she is not sleeping with other men, but that she was a part of a coven – a practicing Witch.

As my father grew in age, my mother seemed to remain young. As he grew older, doing the farm work became increasingly difficult, and he’d mentioned how he yearned for a son to help him with the work and carry on his bloodline. After years of attempting to bare a child, my mother made a pack with an demon by the name of Bar'garius who promised to help her bare a child – at the small cost of inserting his own magic into her, creating an anchor for him into the prime material plane. My mother agreed, and within several weeks, discovered she was indeed pregnant.

However, Bar'garius got the last laugh, because in the deal, my mother had only asked for help in baring a child and did not specify the gender – and so I was born into the world.

My name is Levistus, and because of the deal my mother made with the demon, not only was I imbued with a portion of his magical abilities, I was born into the world as a Tiefling. This, naturally, caused a great rift between my mother and father. He was a simple man, and despite his desire for having a son, also accepted that the gods deemed it that he should not have a child; and that she had made a pact with a demon infuriated him. He believed that she and her coven were just women, sitting around runes and odd symbols, but not actually wielding magic or tampering with demons.

This had changed everything.

At a young age, the magic that was imbued in me due to the pact, made itself evident. Through the pact, I was meant to serve Bar'garius, and I did so through help and training from my mother.

As I grew up, I watched my father and mother become further and further apart, and it did not take long for me to realize that I had been the reason. I was the constant reminder of what my mother had done, but my father refused to turn his back on me, because no matter how I looked, or how I was conceived, I was still his daughter, no matter how much it broke his heart to look at me.

My mother attempted to break her pact with Bar'garius, and the result was disastrous. The magic that was in me suddenly launched uncontrollably one night at a fair in the nearby town of Greystone. Several people were wounded, tents had burned down. Though no one had seen that it was because of me, I knew what had happened. I had rushed home and explained to my mother what had happened and she explained to me it’s because she had used magic to break her pact with Bar'garius. She tried to help me control the magic surging through my body, but I was far more powerful than anything she’d seen before.

Bar'garius appeared in my dreams, almost nightly, to say if I forge a new contract with him that my mother broke, he can help me control my surging magic… and each morning, I awake, and whisper to the ether that my soul, nor my magic, will ever be his.

I knew I could not stay home – there was a chance my magic might one day kill my mother and father and burn down the farm. So I gathered a few belongings and began to travel the world. I had met with a bard who told me about a group that excavated old relics, some of which were magic. This interested me, perhaps I could find some form of ancient relic to help channel the magic coursing through my body? The bard traveled with me until I met up with the group and I began to excavate with them. We would use what we found to sell or trade for goods, essentially becoming well educated scavengers. One of the more interesting items I found – and kept – was a feathered ink pen that allows me to create forgeries of any signature or handwriting I’ve seen before. Who knows what use I could make of this…
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=616
Originally Posted by HyperC2 View Post
Dang, this is super cool, the ones ive seen are awesome!!
So here is what I have for my latest Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign!

Dusk Corvum Wizard 1 (race is from the playtest version of Humblewood, will prob take Divination wiz on 2nd lvl)

Was originally a Kenku who was the apprentice of a powerful Wizard Astronomer, was essentially his son

Extremely close relationship, this wizard (need to think up a name for him) was kind but strict and parental. Due to the nature of the Kenku's race, he could only learn so much from the Wizard as an apprentice. He was an unselfish and charitable soul, and the Kenku took after him.

Both had a deep fascination for the cosmos and the stars, and the young crow would look to the heavens with curiosity and wonder, as well as in times of need.

The Kenku would often browse through the wizard's vast library, pondering over old texts and star charts

Unknown to the Kenku, the brother of the Wizard, in a fit of defiance against the Wizard's success and fame, seeked revenge for living in his brother's shadow all his life.

After finding his master gravely wounded, the Kenku carries him back to their home, where the Wizard breaks the Kenku's curse with the last shreds of his life force via a Wish spel, as a sort of final act of kindness (prob need a reason to burn a wish spell for him, maybe he used his 9th level spell fighting his brother idk)

The first thing he did was come up for a name for himself- Torrin Brightfeather.

Alignment: NG
Height: 5'7
Appearance: Jet Black feathers
Notes: Has an owl named Winnifred
Quirks: Due to the massive amount of magic entering his body upon the breaking of his curse, his irises glow a bright hue of blue-purple at all times. When excited or emotional, a similarly colored aura of arcane energy will shimmer and move around him. In addition, his voice is light and raspy due to the nature of Wish. He is very reluctant to talk or draw attention to himself, and keeps a hood over his head to disguise his eyes. \
Personality: Kind, shy, charitable, bookish
Ideals: To carry on and live up to his master's legacy and name.
Flaws: Socially awkward, skittish, and mistrustful of anyone not versed in the arcane.

Idk if this is too much, too lame, or if he seems more a sorcerer than a wiz, but hey :p

thank you if you decide to do mine!
I didn't get to the part to cover of the flaws...
But I think I covered the rest....
I love the Kenku race (as I said, playing one for the Horde of the Dragon Queen campaign I am playing in)...
So I brought up the Kenku traits to explain how he forms a bond with the wizard...
As always, I welcome feedback - whether you liked it or not, if I hit the mark or missed it by a mile...
==========================

Tallorawn Skyspear was a powerful human wizard who found me, lost, alone and disheveled on the side of the road. He’d heard of my kind before – Kenku – but had never interacted with one of us. He extended his hand to me and explained he would offer me shelter from the coming storm. I entered his small wagon and thanked him. He was astonished to hear my thanks come in the form of several different voices and pitches. I explained to him – in the same broken version of my speech – that Kenku were cursed by our god – having lost flight and the ability to speak in our own voice; but we could perfectly mimic the voices we’ve heard. So I would, by piecing together phrases I heard, from different people, mimic their voices – so at times, my sentence would come out as a mixture of an adult male, then into a young female child, then to a woman, then back to another male with a different accent simply to say, “I will one day repay you for your kindness.”

Tallorawn Skyspear inquired further in regards to the fate of all the Kenku in the world, and I continued to share my story, explaining that we were experts at forging documents as well, able to mimic someone’s handwriting once we’ve seen it. Tallorawn Skyspear then became curious. “If you can mimic what you hear with near perfection, can you then wield magic as well?”

Tallorawn Skyspear whispered the words to a Light Spell, which I was able to successfully mimic vocally and copied the intricate gestures of his hands and found that a light glowed at my fingertips.

Tallorawn Skyspear smiled. “Well, you would make a fine Wizard. And your ability for forgery would be a great asset for getting some of my spells scribed onto scrolls and some tomes of magic I have been recording.”

Rather than a week’s shelter from the storm that came and pounded the grasslands, Tallorawn Skyspear invited me to be his apprentice. Tallorawn took a great liking to me, taking me everywhere he went, when he would meet other wizards. He was proud not only of my skill, but the bond we formed was stronger than the magic either of us could wield.

It was there I met Tallorawn’s brother, Rhentor. From the moment I met Rhentor something beneath my feathers shivered. His gaze was cold – cruel – almost soulless. His stance was firm, as if a board held him up. His eyes roamed up and down, as if trying to tear me down without saying a word. He then looked at his brother and with a curl of his lip snarled, “So who – or what – is this filthy pet of yours that you’ve brought here?”

“He,” Tallorawn corrected sternly, “is not a pet. He is a dear friend of mine. He is a Kenku. And he is my apprentice.”

“Apprentice,” Rhentor scoffed. “How typical of you brother.”

That night, however, it was Tallorawn who garnered the recognition among his peers. He asked me to fetch his coat as we headed for the door. I had done so – but when I got to the foyer – he was not there waiting. I went outside and did not immediately see him. But my eyes caught something else. In the pouring rain, a red tint flowed between the cobblestone. I followed it into the alleyway where I found that Tallorawn had been stabbed in the chest.

I cried out for a Priest or Cleric, but Tallorawn grabbed me by the vest. In a wheezing voice, where I could hear the blood in his lungs he said, “It’s already too late for me.” He pulled a silver ring, with a green gem from his finger and handed it to me. “Take this.” He coughed as blood trickled out of the corner of his lips. “One more thing… I’ve spent the last five years… researching… a way… to free you… of the curse…” He began chanting magical words I’d never heard before – and then, when he clasped his hand, a white light drove away the darkness for a brief moment, and in the brilliance I saw him smile for the last time, for as the dark reclaimed the alley, Tallorawn had already breathed his last breath.

“No,” I cried – but I stopped.

The voice.

“What has happened to me?”

The voice.

The voice… it was… my own?

Tallorawn had found a way… to break me free of the curse bestowed upon me by my god…

How?

As people began to gather, drawn by my previous cries for help, then the burst of light, people began to ponder what had happened as local authorities began to arrive. I was questioned and released.

In my heart, I knew who did this…

I would find him and get my revenge.

Rhentor, I am coming for you….
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=621
Originally Posted by Undyne View Post
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Druid, Circle of Spores
Alignment: LG

Najeela and her twin sister, Kunia, were born in a forest that was home to Myconids. The forest was massive and enchanted to be cloaked in eternal night within. Najeela quickly discovered her druidic talents, and decided to use them to help the Myconids who provided her family home- She travels the world, acting as an ambassador of fungal folk, as well as a fierce defender of her home, calling upon zombies and skeletons, as well as requesting aid from awakened plants and corpse flowers, fighting off undead who try to turn all life to undead, such as wights, as well as the Blights who the Myconids contest territory with in the forest.

"Life and death are one of many cycles in nature. The cycle must not be broken, as death is as important as life."

Personality Traits:
"I refuse to falter when a threat rears its head."
"I will give shelter to those who need it."
Ideal: Unity
"Everything is connected. And so is everyone."
Bond:
"My forest must never be taken over, whether by Blights or by outsiders."
Flaw:
"My interest in the macabre is unnerving to others."
I had to look up the Circle of Spores! I really like that concept.
I wasn't sure what world you were playing in (if Forgotten Realms of custom), but I figure, the background could work (would just be a lesser known mountain and forest that's not necessarily known).
I enjoyed writing the origins of the Mirewood Forest... and how it came to be... how the Myconids came to be there...
Hopefully you enjoy it too! But if not - I'd love to hear the feedback!
Tell me if you loved it, hated it, liked it, would like something changed!
Everything helps me!
Enjoy!
=========================================

Here in Mirewood life is very different. Nestled against the Stormwhite Mountains, Mirewood has long sat in the shadow of the towering Stormwhite peaks; a protective hand that blocked the sun’s warming rays. Moisture settled on the top of Mirewood which allowed for moss to grow across the branches, intertwining between the branches. On the forest floor, the cool temperatures and minimal sunlight allowed unusual fungi to spring up throughout the forest floor. Without natural predators or humans (who deemed Mirewood as “haunted”), the fungi grew to astounding sizes.

It would be several hundred years later, Myconids fleeing the “Shadow War” raging beneath the Stormwhite Mountains between Drow and Mindflayer found sanctuary in Mirewood. The Myconids harvested and grew other fungi that they were familiar with from the “land beneath the mountains.”

When several Druids settled in Mirewood they created a trading relationship with the Myconids, welcoming them and equipping them with furs and other necessities. The Druids, who had not intended on staying, found these new woods interesting and hoped to learn from them. The things found in Mirewood were a direct reflection of the flora and fauna found in “the land beneath the mountains” without the perils of encountering Drow, Mind Flayers, Aboleths, or Beholders (just to name a few). This allowed the Druids – who adopted the name “The Druids of Mirewood” to study the flora and fauna and gain tremendous knowledge about these unique flowers, fungi and plants.

My mother, Elliana and my father, Arisdor were a part of the Druids of Mirewood, and loved their new home. They were happy to learn that my mother, Elliana had become pregnant not with a single child but with two. My twin sister, Kunia and I were born in Mirewood.

My name is Najeela, and this has always been home to me. My mother and father have shared stories of the world outside – how other forests are vastly different than Mirewood and that the Myconids don’t typically live above the surface world.

The Myconid chief, whose name could only be best described as “Kah’ta’tor’tu’aun” seemed infatuated with young children, having never seen any “in the land beneath the mountains.” Drow children were always locked away in towers and Mind Flayer children… were a nightmare to behold.

Kah’ta’tor’tu’aun began to teach me the way of the “Organic Nature” – my mother called it “The Circle of Spores.” It was through him I learned the delicate balance of understanding life and death and the importance of the cycle. Summoning up the dead was not always an evil and vile thing. If you summoned up the dead to help stop some creature bent on turning everyone into the undead state; then raising an army of undead to stop them was called for, if needed. The dead rose to fight a noble cause to help restore order and would once again be put to rest once the battle was done.

As I grew older, my curiosity to see the world beyond the Mirewood grew. I wanted to be an advocate for the Myconids and their way of life – as well as explaining to the world the delicate balance of life and death.

As I stood at the edge of Mirewood, the peaks of the Stormwhite Mountains rose like jagged daggers in the air. A cool, brisk wind blew from the chilling tops down into the woods. Wisps of my hair fluttered in the ice-cold wind. Pulling my hair behind my ears, I took the first step of the next chapter of my life…
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=630
Originally Posted by Undyne View Post
In order to keep this up near the top, I have a new character. Just trying to help keep this thread up in the recents. ^w^
A lizardfolk, sick and tired of keeping to the traditions of her people, refuses to be left simply as a gatherer and egg source. After the men slaughter yet another group of fools who set foot in the swamp, she scavenges a book from the body of one of them- a priest. Reading through the book in secret, she finds herself drawn to the goddess it describes- Loviatar, the Maiden Of Pain. She prays in secret to the goddess, but never receives a divine gift.... until one day, an angel bearing the many-tailed whip of Loviatar finds the lizardfolk, and grants her a potent blessing- The ability to unleash the pain in someone, sadistically draining their energy. The lizardfolk was found out, and challenged to a trial by combat- which she won by draining the life directly from her male oppressor.
The lizardfolk is Shiela, a Divine Soul Sorcerer who focuses on pain- whether her own, or others. Her favored spells are Vampiric Touch, to harm her opponents while healing herself, Revivify, to prolong the pain her allies feel, Chill Touch and Inflict Wounds, for raw pain, and Life Transference, to inflict pain on herself to heal her allies.
I took the opportunity to connect your background to two other character backgrounds - both for Lizardfolk - that just seemed to fit perfectly.
It also helps connect what's been affectionately called "The Tawmis Verse" (that many of these backgrounds begin to weave and tie into one another).
I hope you enjoy what's here - as always - I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, or even hated!
Enjoy!
================================================== ========================

The brigands have grown too bold. Brigands and thieves have dared steal eggs from the hatchery (1) and still my people do nothing, keeping their old traditions. Perhaps Ssirath (2) was right all along. Ssirath had believed our people had become weak; offering safe passage to humans and elves and dwarves, through the swamp, in exchange for furs and weapons.

Koratore, our leader, was an aggressive male who demanded us to fetch eggs and food, most of which went to him, as did most of what was traded. To say he and I had a strong dislike for one another would be the understatement of the century.

My name is Shiela and I am a gathering for my people. It was during one of my gathering trips, I’d observed a group of humans making their way through the swamp without a guide – either they were too cheap to make a trade arrangement or they’d been lost in the swamp and may have been looking for a way out. Where they were – where I was – was dangerous territory. The trolls dominated this area of the swamp; but they did so because this was the breeding grounds of the crocodiles. So the trolls would either hunt the crocodiles or raid their nests for eggs. For me, I relied on stealth to steal eggs and kill younger crocodiles.

They’d gotten too close to a nest of crocodiles which triggered their aggressive nature; the sound caught the attention of a small band of trolls in the area, who joined in the bloodfest, killing both human and crocodile alike, until only the trolls remained standing. The four trolls dragged several of the human carcasses away and two larger crocodile carcasses. They would feast well tonight, which was good for my people; that meant they were less likely to wander into our area and attack us.

At that moment, something caught my eye, moving slowly down the water. It’d been a pouch that had slid off one of the humans as the trolls dragged them away. I reached over with a stick, not wanting to come out of cover, and lifted the drenched, brown pouch towards me. I reached inside the pouch and found only a tome containing religious symbols. I threw it in the water – but as it slowly began to tumble down the waterway, something made me reach for it again and take it with me.

Back at the den, I began reading it and discovered it’d been a tome about Loviatar, the Maiden Of Pain. The human who perished had been a follower of this unusual goddess. I spent days, weeks, even months reading the tome in secrecy over and over again to understand how she worked. Apparently, those who were faithful to her were bestowed blessings to inflict pain on others while drawing that energy into themselves.

Each day I dealt with our “fearless” leader Koratore, I wondered if Loviatar would ever accept me as one of her own. Each day of every week, I prayed to Loviatar in secrecy hoping for her blessing. One day, during a spat between Koratore and I, he back handed me with enough force to scar my right cheek, my scales cut by the ring he wore on his finger.

That night – a being of dark light arrived – and in its angelic hands, a many tailed whip. It lashed out at me, and though it felt as if my entire soul was on fire, I heard her voice. “I now give you the power,” and I knew it had been Loviatar.

The next day, as always, Koratore and I got in an argument over the amount of traded goods he was keeping from the latest batch of travelers requesting an escort and once again, he attempted to back hand me – but this time, I caught his hand before he could hit me.

Furious, he demanded that I be taught a lesson and had Borkhan, his strongest guardian, meet me in the ring to the death. Borkhan bruised me badly – my right eye was swollen shut, my left arm felt as if it were broken – but in the end – I felt her energy course through me, and perhaps I was the only one who could see it but a whip of many tales materialized in my hand and with one lash that seemed to wrap around him, I drained his life from him, and as I did so my left arm and eye both healed. Borkhan collapsed in front of me, dead.

Koratore accused me of necromancy and banished me from the tribe and land. Which was fine – I would explore the world and see what it had to offer. But my fight with Koratore was far from over, if he thought banishing me was the end of this…

1. postcount=371
2. postcount=532
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=631
Originally Posted by thisdude9001 View Post
Alrighty, so Dragonborn Warlock named Jarskan with a Great Old One patron and Pact of the Tome. He ended up telling some sort of secret that got his clan hurt and they exiled him. He ended up living in a dungeon he found, it was full of many treasures and even more dangers that he learned to avoid (dip into rogue for extra sneakiness) he ended up finding the Tome and made a deal with some sort of great old one.

Was discovered by some adventures that he ended up joining in their quest while they were exploring his dungeon.

Jarskan keeps secrets after the event with the clan.
He likes to hoard gold (a habit he got in the dungeon) and wants to one day retire with his hoard.
Is brass dragonborn.
Likes to get close with Hex + sneak attack.
Has high dex and a low str
The demon's name mention (The Ancient One) - is a demon, that if you've read through this thread has appeared repeatedly...
It's a demon based on my own game, that I thought I'd use - and tie some people's origins together (very loosely) and make it feel like a "unified Tawmis-Verse"...
Hopefully you enjoy the origin story! I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, or even hated!
Enjoy!
================================================== =======

I have lived my life surviving from day to day. Some nights I barely scrap by with just enough to prevent me from starving. I’ve learned to move through the streets and use the shadows to my advantage. Being a Brass Dragonborn does hamper my ability to squeeze into small shadows to prevent myself from being hidden, just so I might be able to steal a piece of fruit to hold me over for the night. I don’t like to steal from my own clan, but I do it for necessity’s sake. I have every intention of one day being free of this squandered life and repaying everyone in my clan with the glory of endless coin.

On one such night, where I was moving through the cover of night, through the village’s small streets, I was pushing myself against a tent to prevent a patrolling guardsman from seeing me, when I overheard what was clearly the Captain of the Guard, Bazathin Trollbane, and the daughter of Kortex, Sheelana. The sounds and discussion they were having were not one of Bazathin asking if Sheelana was all right; it was intimate and sexual in nature. Normally not an issue with two consenting adults, but both Bazathin and Sheelana were married – but not to one another.

I did not end up eating that night and spent the next three nights without food or water, without even realizing it, as I debated what to do. I finally came to the decision to tell Kortex, our Clan Leader, what I had heard between his daughter and Bazathin. When Kortex confronted her daughter, she confessed it was true, that the arranged marriage was not one of love, because she loved Bazathin, not her own husband. Bazathin was given the choice to die honorably or be banished from the Clain. Sheelana begged that he take the banishment as seeing him die would kill her, and so Bazathin brought further shame upon himself and family by taking the action of banishment.

Two nights later, they came; the trolls from High Pass Mountain. Cold, callous, malicious and killing for the thrill, they rampaged through out village destroying homes and killing many, including Kortex himself. When it was all said and done, nearly sixteen people were dead and Sheelana became the new ruler. Her first action was to forgive Bazathin and send a squadron after him to locate him. Her second action was to banish me, blaming me for the ill fortune of not having Bazathin in the village to defend us from the trolls, as he’d always done before.

I fled and wandered for many days, living off the land. I had eaten poisonous berries that nearly killed me and lay in bushes that burned my skin, as I learned how to survive in the wild. One night, I fell down the side of a hill and found myself staring at a small opening. As I dug around it, thinking I would use it for shelter I discovered that it was actually an opening to an ancient dungeon, long forgotten by time.

Making my way inside, it appeared to be a castle that sank into the land. Some rooms were full of mud and stone while others seemed untouched for centuries. Further down, the castle slanted and seemed to dip into an underwater lake that was full of Troglodytes.

An encounter with a Cave Fisher proved beneficial. The meat was edible, the filaments were harvested into ropes I used to get around where there were deep gaps in the fallen castle, and its diluted adhesive was used on my gloves to help with my grip when climbing. I used the chitinous shell to make some armor for myself.

And it was a week of surviving in this castle that I found what was clearly, a mage’s tower. The contents of the room were nothing but endless tomes, shattered vails, ancient scripture, and a wild assortment of what appeared to have once been spell components.

That’s when I heard a voice call to me. The voice came from behind me where I saw one tome, seemingly untouched, levitating, and its pages golden in color and glowing. I reached out – against my will – and touched the book and felt a surge of energy.

“Long have you strived to survive,” an ancient voice boomed in my head. “Long have I waited for one like you – a survivor – one who will do whatever it takes to survive. I can help you survive. I can give you what you need. My name is Bar'garius - Embrace my power and together we shall set the world right.”

I found myself uttering the words, “I accept.”

Another surge of energy through my body rendered me unconscious. When I awoke in the tower, the tome of shadows was bound to me. I looked at my hands as they crackled with new found arcane energy.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=632
Originally Posted by Cyclops08 View Post
Name: Vox
Race: Changeling (male)
Alignment: N (tending towards good, just not quite there yet)
Character progression: Cleric 2, Divine Soul Sorcerer from there on)
LOX
Lox started life as a petty criminal loosely associated with the Tyrants in Sharn (a thieves guild specializing in forged identities, new faces. It is run by doppelganger masters and Changelings) . His parents are both guild members in good standing. Lox however was different; he had a wanderlust that led him to seek adventure in the world.
Lox was fluent in both elven and goblin and was well studied on both cultures. Elves fascinate Lox and his preferred shape is elven. The forbidden nature of the Aerenal elves in particular drew him closer. Taking the guise of a Khorvaire elf seeking his roots, Lox talked his way onto the island of Aerenal. There he freely wandered libraries, entertainment and immersed himself into the culture. The ruse was working so well he talked his way into the academy of the Undying Court itself, where he learned the divine magics of the elves (actually he is a follower now…but the elves do not appreciate that). The brazen nature of a Changleing infiltrating a divine academy was ultimately doomed to failure. The Jig was up and Lox fled the island for his life. He did not leave empty handed; he had liberated enough gold to purchase a new identity with the Tyrants. Ultimately Lox will move into a Divine Soul Sorcerer, but again fortune will not smile on him. His family line was tainted. While Lox is a nice guy, his family and history with the Tyrants have tainted him, the celestial spark is dark, and his bonus spell will be “Inflict Wounds.” --In fact his build will be around the spell Inflict Wounds.
Lox is unsure what the ultimate consequences will be, but he does have a number of religious texts and several holy symbols from Aerenal stashed at a safe house in Sharn. He has decided use his new identity to become an adventurer, keep moving for a while, and let the heat blow off. His main identity is Lox, a changeling. The elves, as far as he knows are clueless to this. His second, newer (purchased) Identity is Dorian Grell, an Aundarian human Veteran from the last war. Lox is planning several trips back to Sharn to purchase a few other identities when he gets the cash.
Lox will arrange a secret signal for his compatriots. If he is disguised, will briefly flash a Blue “L” on his forehead or the palm of his hand.
His fence is a safe house where his parents work for the tyrants. He knows the tyrants will take a 15% cut, plus the laundering fee. He may not be a tyrant but he will pay the dues as if her were (Family obligation). His specialty is document forgery. Lox used that a lot on Aerenal.
The elves are still ferreting out all his impersonations. He even impersonated faculty members at the academy. At this point the elves are not sure how many Changelings were at the academy.
Background: charlatan
STR10, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 16
------------------------------------------
and a word of explanation: The Undying court. The elves in Aerenal don't believe in death. They are into ancestor worship....and so the undying court are all the exceptional elves who in undeath still lead the elves. It is necromancy with positive energy instead of negative.
weird but hey, it is in the book.
Heh - you started it saying his name was Vox, but the rest says Lox - so I stuck with Lox.
I had fun writing this because I had to do a little research as I've never played on the Eberron setting before.
So I was unfamiliar with a few aspects of that's world's setting!
So quick searches helped piece together hopefully enough correct information to make this right!
I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, and/or even hated!
Enjoy!
=======================================

When others gaze into the mirror, who they see staring back at them is their own reflection.

For me, who I see is the disguise, or personality I am emulating.

I am far from what many would call normal – most fear and hate me and would kill me if they truly knew who or what I was.

My true name is Lox and my true form is that of a Changeling.

My parents both of whom serve with the Tyrants in Sharn (a local thieves guild specializing in forged identities and new faces, run by other Changlings such as ourselves and Dopplegangers), have been loyal to the guild their entire lives. They had dragged me into serving with the guild for my survival’s sake; and I served half-heartedly. I learned how to become an expert at forging documents and understood the concept of how to create identities through documentation, but living in the shadows was something that I never truly cared for. I enjoyed the deceit and the ability to shift into someone else to gain entrance to some place I would never otherwise be able to see – but I felt as though my calling lay elsewhere.

Through my work with the Tyrants, one such document that came across me caught my interest. The Elves of Aerenal; where apparently there was some understanding between life and the state of undeath, and that there was a Court of the Undying that ruled. All of this sounded too fantastic to accept as real and that’s when I felt the twist of the dagger inside of me turn; this is where I would go. This is what I would explore. This is where I would find my destiny.

Adopting the form of a Khorvaire Elf by the name of Garius Trollspear, I arrived at the docks of Aerenal, explaining that I was seeking the truth about my roots as Garius. I spent weeks slowly earning the trust of the Aerenal, moving slowly at first. I would speak with the locals; earn their trust, who would then in time, invite me to meet others, higher up the social ladder, until finally I had been widely welcomed. I freely walked around enjoying the entertainment, libraries and endless amounts of knowledge to be gleamed from the Aerenal, eventually working my way up to the Undying Court. Eventually I was welcomed and trained by the Undying Court, becoming a devout follower; but my luck would eventually catch up to me as I earned my way up the social ladder among the Undying Court, meeting a High Priest by the name of Valiran Highcourt, whose magical powers allowed him to see through my disguise. I quickly fled, changing my shape at every dark corner, to lose my pursuers, and used the gold I had acquired climbing the social ladder to book passage back to Sharn.

I made contact with the Tyrants and purchased a new identity – that of Dorian Grell an Aundarian Human Veteran from the last war. For now, that is who I am – I know the Aerenal are upset that they’d been infiltrated by a Changeling and from the news I have been hearing, Valiran is personally questioning everyone… and that he’s also sent a squadron out to find me specifically.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=633
Originally Posted by Storyl View Post
Half-Elf Warlock of The Great Old One
Name: Therian Allas
Background: Hermit
Thanks for making this thread and I apologize for little to make off of I'm just interested of what you create feel free to make anything up
I had just done a Changeling Warlock who was a part of a Thieves Guild... and wrote them very shadowy...
So I wanted to do something different with yours... definitely focus on the Half-Elf aspect...
And why he becomes a hermit...
And the demon name mentioned, if you've read this thread (22 pages deep now!) - it's a name that frequently appears.
Every time I write a demon I use his name to make this all a "shared" universe affectionately called "The Tawmis Verse"...
I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, or even hated!
Enjoy!
============================================

Make no mistake, I am thankful to be alive; however, I do curse my bloodline each and every night.

My father Jouren Allas was a hard working human; he spent each and every day at the forge crafting weapons to give to the guards of his village. He had a beautiful wife, Maylin Allas, who worked at the bakery, day in and day out, coming home exhausted and bringing back scraps of food that had not been used for the night. My father was strong, tanned, his hair grey, his eyes piercing blue. His wife was beautiful; blond hair with mixed strands of grey and eyes as green as a freshly grown field.

One day, a band of elves, having been attacked by the very brigands who often laid siege to our village, came in seeking help. A councilor’s daughter had been wounded. My father’s wife, Maylin, was a midwife and the most experienced at healing people in our village. She took this Elven maiden into their home to help her. She’d been gravely wounded and had spent nearly two weeks with my father and his wife. In that time, the elves had trained the people of my village how to use bows and swords to better defend themselves; but also in that time, my father and this Elf Maiden, a gorgeous woman named Danesa Goldenheart, had fallen in love, and while his wife was at the bakery, my father and Danesa made love. Only once, according to my father, before he realized what he’d done. But it only took once. Nine months later, Danesa returned with news of the child within her about to be born.

Outraged, Maylin threw my father out of the home. My father was ashamed for his actions, but the village needed him, because he was the weapon and armor maker for the entire village, and so the village, ashamed of their own need, provided him shelter, as well as Danesa who had been cast out from her own home, for the actions of consummating with a human.

Though I was widely loved by my mother and father, the rest of the village despised me. I was the symbol of temptation; and the village hated that they relied so heavily on my father and could not cast him out. This made making friends impossible as families refused to let their children play with me; so I grew up, very much alone, and socially awkward, with only company from my father and mother. Even I began to despise them for the life they’d given me, of utter loneliness, even as they continued to love and support me.

At a young age, unable to live with my parents, unable to find friends, I left and learned to live in the wild. I became what humans call “a hermit.” I found a cave in the mountains not too far from the village – even now I couldn’t seem to tear myself completely away. One night in the cave, a voice called out to me from far deeper into the cave. I began to follow it – had there been others? Was this cave the home of someone else? Was this some form of spirit? It drew me to a small statue far back in the cavern – demonic looking, which made me leery.

“I am ancient,” the voice from the statue seemed to speak to my mind. “I have seen time begin and I will be there to unravel the threads when time is undone. I have seen the past create the present and glimpsed the horrors of the future. A terrible thing comes and I can help you stop it from happening,” the voice said smoothly. “My name is Bar'garius and I can help you become far more than your tainted blood would ever allow you to become. Embrace me.”

I reached down to examine the statue and felt a surge of energy pierce my body, my soul and my mind. In the palm of my right hand was the burned tattoo of the statue forever a part of my skin.

“Good,” I heard the voice whisper, “now we are one.”

And just then my hands crackled with arcane energy.

“Let the training begin,” it whispered.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=634
Originally Posted by No1ofIntrst View Post
Vandryeen (Male)
Bard (More focused on the storytelling than the singing/seducing part)
Half-Elf
Anthropologist
True Neutral

Really interested in learning about different types of monsters and other "surface-level information" (oh, yeah, I speak Orc, but I only know how to say "could you pass the salt?") Not too outgoing, but not really shy. Knowledgeable, but not a bookworm (knows by experience, not by reading). Parents are really important to him. Knowledge. By understanding other races and cultures, we learn to understand ourselves. Doesn't really like horses
Side note: thank you for making this!
I actually enjoyed writing this one; because you mentioned the parents were important...
They became a central figure for which the rest of your character's background information really spun out of.
I added, what I hope, is a fun element about your dislike of horses for the character!
I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, or even hated!
Enjoy!
================================================== =

“… and so, the mighty, foul demon Bar'garius was defeated by the honorable and holy Paladin, Simwat Pureblood of the Holy Order of Neverending Nights!”

The crowd cheered and raised their tankards and clanked them together in celebration. My name is Vandryeen, and I am a Half-Elf Bard that’s spent most of my life traveling around the land “just to see what’s out there.” Something my mother, a beautiful human woman named Jeska, said came from my father’s sense of “wanderlust.” My father was an Elf by the name of Darthun Truestrike, and unlike other Elves, did not care to live in the trees. He’d wanted to experience the world beyond the woods, and that’s how and when he met my father – as she had been fending off bandits. Truth be told, according to both of my parents, my mother needed no help. She was a fierce fighter with soft brown hair and velvet soft green eyes, whose gaze could pierce you like an arrow. My father had been drawn to the fact that she easily downed three of the four bandits on her own.

My father developed a romantic relationship with her, which got him cast out from the Elves, and his surname revoked, due to the shame of romancing a human. When I was born into the world, they both filled me with endless amounts of love; as well as tell me the endless tales of their adventures. My father used to laugh at how sometimes he would simply sit back and let my mother do all the fighting and only step in if someone was trying to strike her from behind.

As I grew older, my parents continued to love me completely and fill my mind with more and more stories of their adventures. My father, who was well versed in the Orcish tongue taught me one phrase that always made him laugh, “Can you pass the salt.” I had asked when I would ever use such a phrase and he explained that when they found Orc encampments; that were always the first thing he’d say to the unsuspecting orcs to get their attention.

My parents bestowed upon me knowledge of their own encounters; everything from the subterranean Beholders and Mind Flayers, to the magically forged creatures such as Owlbears and Displacer Beasts; and even told me of the ways of the Giants – from Hill Giants to Storm Giants; it’d seemed my parents had led a full and glorious life.

I wanted what they had; someone to love so deeply, but also, the same experiences. To go out into the world and have adventures that would teach me about things; other cultures, so that when the day came that I brought a child into this world, I would have my own stories and knowledge to share with them.

When I was old enough to travel on my own my father purchased me a horse to travel on; a horse by the name of Aragus. Aragus and I have a very rocky relationship. He doesn’t always appreciate having someone riding on his back; and at times, will simply halt to eat food. This has caused me to have a general dislike of horses; but I’ve never gotten rid of Aragus.

Yet, anyway.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=638
Originally Posted by Arrg View Post
I’m working on making my first 5e character and my first one since 3.5 and I was a teenager. I’ve decided on either a scout from XGTE or more likely a ranger. I’m trying not to be too specific with the names of places since I want to work with the DM at my FLGS. They have adventures league on Wednesday night and that’s what I’ll be joining in on.
Any feedback would be appreciated! Most likely race is v. human.
NAME grew up a few miles near a town that served as a stopping point for merchants and other travelers. Despite his mother dying childbirth, NAME’S dad never held it against him and the two were very close. NAME’S father was a hunter and woodsman by trade, providing fresh meat for the butcher, skins for craftsmen and herbs for healers; he taught NAME what he knew from a young age. One day, name returned home from town to find his home on fire. His fathers’ body was found next day in the burnt ruins. With nothing left, NAME has wandered the lands selling his skills as a scout to various mercenary groups, armies, and adventurer parties.
I gave your character a name (one spot, so easy to change) and gave your place of where you grew up (Misty Forest), which can be changed if needed (it offered the easiest way to fit everything together).
I left the ending with you heading to Daggerford (slightly major city, population 1,200 or so, I believe) - and left that open to whatever you wanted after that. Whether your character traveled with mercenaries and the such, to get clues to piece together what happened with your father.
Anyway - look forward to hearing your thoughts - what you like, hate, loved - let me know!
Enjoy!
===========================

The Misty Forest seemed to draw in the thunder and rain as the cooling temperatures from the western shores collided with the warmth of the High Moors to the east. Thunder rolled across the heavens like a stampede of wild horses while lightning split the skies like talons of pure light piercing the gloomy darkness. The rain came down nonstop, it’s cold touch shivering the bones of those that were exposed to it.

My name is Ellaron and I have spent all of my life living with my father, Bassinor in the Misty Forest. My father is a hunter and woodsman, has been all of his life. My mother, I sadly never got to know. She passed away giving birth to me, something that has always lingered in the back of my mind. My father assures me he does not blame me and indeed there’s no indication he ever has. Our relationship is wonderful and incredible as he teaches me how to survive in the woods, in hopes that one day I will pick up the trade he’s spent his whole life doing.

My father provides fresh meat to the butcher, skins to the craftsmen and leatherworkers, and herbs for the healers all of whom live in Julkoun, just north of the Misty Forest. To the west of the Misty Forest is a major trading route, called The Trade Way, where my father also trades with various merchants.

The problem is – along The Trade Way – you meet all kinds. The road is traveled by merchants just as much as it is mercenaries and bandits. To the south is the Dragonspear Castle, frequently used by bandits, and to the south east the Warlock’s Crypt – of the legendary lich-king, Larloch, the Shadow King, which often attracts mystics and sorcerers seeking “untold power.” All of which, use the Trade Way as the main roads for travel. To further complicate matters, the moors to the east of us – The High Moors are full of trolls and their ilk.

My father warned me that we must always be on the lookout – living out in the wild we were not given the luxury of having city guards or even a wall. There was only our home and the wild that surrounded us; so being familiar with the wild, it’s signs, what to eat and not to eat, was critical to survival.

However, there is always the unknown factor. My father had sent me to gather some herbs for his visit to Julkoun later tonight; but while I was out gathering them, I saw smoke drifting into the skies. Something told me that this was no ordinary fire.

I arrived back at my home and saw it up in flames. I cried out for my father but there was no reply. I tried everything to put out the fire – but our wooden home burned like an inferno. It took everything to stop the fire from spreading and by morning the next day, the fire had become searing hot embers and crackling wood. As the sun rose over the treetops, orange rays of the warming sun reflecting on the droplets of rain. Rain that had helped stop the fire from spreading; but had done nothing to stop the fire that consumed my home, and in the process my father.
This was no natural fire. There was an assortment of tracks – ranging from human, to something bigger, as well as horses – all around the charred remains of my home. Someone had murdered my father, and I would find out why. I gathered several supplies from our shed and after burying my father next to where my mother had been buried, I set my path for the Trade Way, heading for Daggerford. I would begin there.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsing ... tcount=642
Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
PM to Tawmis
Here's my Current Birthright Character:
Mekmernox - The Kobold Conquest Paladin of Tiamat: Lv 6
Out to unite the Five Scattered Kobold Tribes and then set out to conquer as much territory as possible on his way to claim the Throne and become the High King!!
I'm going with "Draconic Heritage" for his Birthright Bloodline.
This gives him AC 13 +5 dex mod = AC 18. With the potential of "thicker scales" at 10th level.
He uses a Longsword two handed and has Great Weapon Fighting Style.
This was a lot of fun to write!
I didn't get too much backstory for the character...
But delved into his motivation... his plan... gave names to the dragons...
One of which will probably be familiar...
Took some liberties (associated him with blue) which you may need to change...
Hope you enjoy!
=======================================

The sun’s orange rays began to pierce the night sky as the moon fled into the distance. Orange rays reached up, tearing the skies open, like talons of a massive dragon. Mekmernox, his Kobold eyes squinting as more of the daylight began to drive away the shadows and darkness. As a faithful Paladin of the Great Tiamat, Queen of the Dragons, Master of the Shadows, he imaged the rays of sunlight being Tiamat once again entering the Prime Material Plane from the Gates of Hell.

Mekmernox came from Draconic Heritage, his scales a slight hue of blue. As such he served along side Kalice the Blue, a mighty ancient blue dragon, loyal to the great Tiamat. As the sun burst over the horizon, Mekmernox turned his back and entered the cave where the cool shadows welcomed him. The familiar dripping sound of water from an underwater lake that echoed throughout the cave was a sound he’d become accustomed to.

As a loyal follower of Kalice, who barked down commands given to her by Tiamat herself, Mekmernox had gained Kalice’s trust and respect. They had formed an understanding – a bond – that allowed them to be truthful with one another. Kalice rarely hid Tiamat’s plans from him and he was free to speak to Kalice openly – though, respectfully. Others who questioned Kalice usually found their lives extinguished with a thundering bolt of lightning from Kalice’s maw.

Mekmernox had a dream, that Kalice agreed with. He wanted to unite what he called “The Five Scattered” – which was five largest tribes of Kobolds – each, loyal to a different colored dragon. There was the Red Tribe, loyal to Singe the Red. Vicious, cruel and deceptive, Singe was an ancient dragon that looked out for himself only – even at the cost of betraying others, all except Tiamat. There was the Green Tribe, under the leadership of Emereth, the ancient green dragon. Perhaps the most vicious, and perhaps the oldest of them all, Emereth had little regard for anything; including those Kobolds who pledged themselves loyally to her. There was Khoul the Black, one of the youngest of the five, who wanted to prove herself the most loyal to Tiamat, often risking herself and her followers, in hopes of gaining Tiamat’s favor. And finally, there was the most reclusive of them all, Fraust the White. She and her followers stayed to the far North and trusted no one, partially due to Emereth who once clawed out Fraust’s right eye, which to this day, was never healed. Fraust treats everyone with great suspicion, even her own followers, who she suspects may be conspiring against her. She was ancient, and only slightly younger than her hated enemy, Emereth.

Aside from finding a way to unite five very diverse – Mekmernox had a greater dream. After uniting the Five Scattered and bring the five dragons, who served as lieutenants to the great Tiamat, Mekmernox would be crowned the High King.

Return to “Community Games”